Blackhawk Down Info

Hey guys... Since it is war related and the movie is premiering tomorrow I thought I would point you guys here for info on the real story before you see Holloywood's take. Check out: http://www.philly.com/packages/somalia/sitemap.asp

It is a great site and it gives you a renewed sense of how much our soldiers in uniform deserve our respect and gratitude for what they do.

Jeff

I had seen that site before a while back and I really liked the map of Mogadishu they have there.

My Hangar was right by the first "A" in MogAdishu Airport, the way out of town to the Russian MIG base at Bale Dogle was up East to Via Roma (The Pakistani base was where the larger streets meet at the East end of the runway), past the traffic circle (Where a plattoon of Marine grunts and some LAV's lived) to Via Lenin and North out of town.

Sometimes we left town via Hawlwadig (I didn;t really know these names when I wasthere) which was pretty crazy because it was much more built up and went past an open air market where we often took some shots.

Just thinking that I regularly convoyed past the Olympic Hotel and the future sites of the crashes an the fire fight is kind of strange to me.

By the time I left in March of '93 we pretty much owned that town. Too bad it all went to crap once we pulled out and the UN and Army took over, they pretty much handed everything back to the Warlords and pulled back to the Airport.

Many Green Berets reported that Task Force Ranger's dealings with the locals was less than "diplomatic" making a tough situation even tougher.

The whole episode didn't need to happen.

Gyrene

I think a few people here need a lesson in the proper usage of the 'Hi Mom.'

It's typically reserved for moronic, flame-riddled posts or inane questions about why the Nazi flag isn't allowed in Germany.

When someone posts something of interest, you thank them and let the mod worry about moving it. They don't get a 'Hi Mom.'

Let me know if any of that needs to be explained in greater detail.

Great post, Jeff. I'm eager to see the movie, however I hate seeing a movie before reading the book. I guess I'll have to deal with it this time.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

I had seen that site before a while back and I really liked the map of Mogadishu they have there.

Many Green Berets reported that Task Force Ranger's dealings with the locals was less than "diplomatic" making a tough situation even tougher.

The whole episode didn't need to happen.

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

Hi Gyrene

Thanks for the info.

I have not read the book or seen the movie, but I wonder if anyone here who knows what happened over there (hint, Gyrene), can comment on what seems to be an underground, whispered, rumour about how an American (Ranger, Marine, Delta Force ?) commander who was SO frustrated with the UN command structure, and NEEDED some other nations APC's ASAP, to conduct the rescue mission to get to the downed crews and pinned down soldiers that he (allegedly) took out his side arm pistol and put it to the head of the commander of the "other" nation's APC's (because there were no America APCs available) because the other commmander (A Pakastani I think?) did not have "official" clearance, and was refusing to release "his" UN APC's for an ad hoc US rescue mission.

Can anyone comment on the real story about this??

I'm pretty sure some "version" of this is true but I don't know the source or the entire truth about this story.

-tom w

P.S. Gryene, have you seen this yet, its my latest CMBO Pano-

http://142.55.231.199/demo/cmbo-pano.mov

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Croda:

It's typically reserved for moronic, flame-riddled posts or inane questions about why the Nazi flag isn't allowed in Germany.

When someone posts something of interest, you thank them and let the mod worry about moving it. They don't get a 'Hi Mom.'

Great post, Jeff. I'm eager to see the movie, however I hate seeing a movie before reading the book. I guess I'll have to deal with it this time.<hr></blockquote>

Byte me.

Let me know if I need to explain any of that in greater detail.

;)

Interesting stuff, Gyrene.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Croda:

Great post, Jeff. I'm eager to see the movie, however I hate seeing a movie before reading the book. I guess I'll have to deal with it this time.<hr></blockquote>

Nuts to you tongue.gif

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Captain Wacky ]

Edited to correct numerous mistakes in spelling, puncuation, and grammar

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Captain Wacky ]</p>