Do craters provide cover?

Yes, however, be sure that when you tell troops to move to a crater that when you place the waypoint it says "crater" (instead of open ground or whatever the underlying terrain is).

There can be craters which are not suitable cover, those will just display as the underlying terrain if you place a waypoint/target/los line on it.

I recall a discussion about the protection provided by craters. I can't recall the exact numbers but it was along the line of Craters = about 50-60% the protection of foxholes (or something along those lines) and much less protection than trenches.

Don't trust my numbers, but it appears that craters do provide SOME cover.

Craters do provide some cover.

HOWEVER --- something I've learned in CMBB play only just recently --- the big craters are also a BIG impediment to movement, slowing down either foot soldiers or vehicles quite a bit.

When "crater-hopping" while advancing, so to gain some cover benefit, be mindful how your movement paths are when going over the craters.

Originally posted by Cameroon:

There can be craters which are not suitable cover, those will just display as the underlying terrain if you place a waypoint/target/los line on it.

I would appreciate it if there was a visible difference between those types of craters to avoid the trial-and-error part of path plotting to craters!

I would appreciate it if there was a visible difference between those types of craters to avoid the trial-and-error part of path plotting to craters!
Usually the bigger ones provide cover, the smaller ones don´t. Quite simple :D

[ October 01, 2002, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]

I believe the Air Force was tasked with creating the craters on the beaches for D-Day, the bad visibility lead to their poor accuracy...

And no it is not as simple as little craters do not provide cover and big ones do. Little ones can provide cover but some don't. Do what Cameroon suggested and place your movement cursor over the crater to verify if it is a "real" one or a fake one. I guess the fake ones are just really shallow craters?!?!

Two points about craters.

First, it's not just a matter of big vs small craters providing cover. If you take a look at a cratered game map you'll see some (big and small) craters look more 'flat', some have blacker shadows. It's that blacker ones that provide the cover.

Second, about craters and movement. If you're careless and direct your 4x4 armored car to drive over a big crater (both kinds of crater, I believe) kiss that vehicle goodbye. It's liable to become immobilized in the hole.

Originally posted by Spook:

Craters do provide some cover.

HOWEVER --- something I've learned in CMBB play only just recently --- the big craters are also a BIG impediment to movement, slowing down either foot soldiers or vehicles quite a bit.

When "crater-hopping" while advancing, so to gain some cover benefit, be mindful how your movement paths are when going over the craters.

Just try driving a truck over them on a road!!

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

Just try driving a truck over them on a road!!

Roads don't cancel the detriment of big craters even to tracked vehicles, which I've seen too in recent scenario play. Although perhaps I'm just expanding on your point.

In sum, if a player doesn't "plot around" a large crater, just taking a movement path right over it instead, that'll turn out as a hassle later on.

It is evident to a newbie who doesn't have the manual that the ones that say "crater" are actually pretty good- my Russian conscripts and Greens can hang out in them for long periods and be "OK", in a region where a step to the left or right would have them Routed!!

What I *can't* really tell is whether the ones that *don't* say "crater", but obviously *are* craters, of a lesser sort, are providing SOME cover...? Shadows are our only clue to this? Or just move the poor b*st*rd in there and see what happens!?

Eden

Actually, quite simple, and maybe perhaps a bit gamey, is to use the "line of sight" command or L hotkey.

Drag the line anywhere over the map, from some unit, to some crater or shellhole image. If it's really a crater (large or small) per game definitions, it'll be stated as such on the LOS line.

The difference in practical terms is that some craters just aren't big enough for use as cover. An 81mm mortar's crater is not going to be big enough to cover a squad, for instance.

Grahically, many shell impacts leave craters. However, some are only "decals" that go on the terrain for esthetics only. The darker (and generally bigger) craters are the ones you can use for cover.