CMBB on the XBOX

Originally posted by SuperSulo:

SuperSulo--

You'll notice this kind of behavior on the forum at times. For some on here (without naming names) CM is not merely a video game, it is a religion. Notice how defensive they get when you dare to question THEIR statements and interpretations. Yours, however, are open to criticism.

Some of you remind me of what modern day Pharisees would be like. "You dared to question our way of thinking?!?! CRUCIFY HIM IN THE NAME OF BTS! I AM NOT PART OF BTS, BUT I KNOW EVERYTHING THEY THINK AND I WILL INTERPRET FOR THEM, BECAUSE THIS IS MY RELIGION!"

It's a video game. Not a religion. Some others on here other than SuperSulo need to "get a clue." He can post and suggest whatever he damn well wants to, and you can't do anything about it.

smile.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by tiborhead:

I usually don't butt into stuff like this around here, mostly because it has been confirmed by many that my opinion is worth the same as about a pile of gravel. Not the good, expensive kind either, the real cheap stuff. But I think some people are getting a little too defensive about a game I think I can safely say, we all love and adore.

I, as well as most others here, know that BFC will probably (most definitely) never sell out to Microsoft or some other corporate giant. I took this thread as a sort of speculative discussion. But this sort of behavior, acting out in a really (I hate to say it because I respect MOST everyone on these forums)... immature way is a little upsetting.

Is suggesting transferring CMBB, or any of it's future variants, over to a console really such a sin? Especially since, as stated before, we know it will probably (again, most definitely) never happen. Sure, it may have been discussed before, but, come on. Cut the guy some slack. If we all started behaving this way when a previously covered topic was rehashed, well, we'd probably all stop coming here.

These forums have gained a reputation of being a place of civility and maturity. And, although it may sound cheesy, and I may not exactly be the most upstanding, informative guy, I feel quite proud of being part of this community.

I don't know, perhaps I'm being a little too sentimental here. I'm almost certain most of you have stopped reading this post by now. However, for those who by some chance still happen to be reading this, my simple plea is "lighten up a little. Go play a QB against the AI or something."

Oh yeah, and CM on a console? Pfftt. No way, man. tongue.gif

What he said. The immaturity of some members is truly appalling. Get out of your houses and do something besides live CM as a religion. It is a game. That's all. People are free to question it whenever they want to and suggest whatever they want without being ridiculed.

And CM on a console will happen eventually. It will take years, but I would bet large sums of money that such a thing will come to pass.

[ December 06, 2002, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Sgt. Beavis ]

Wow, a pair of fellow mech pilots, excellent.

Mech2 GBL was the pinnacle of Mech games on the comp. 3 wasn't horrid but it was deffinately taking a turn for the arcade, 4 just blows. It lacks any recognizable mech lab, it's just not Battletech. Damn pretty though, like the M3&4 PPC's better though, the glowing balls are obnoxious.

Course the downfall of MW is parralleled by the fall of BT, now that Wizkids have it they've completely destroyed it. Nobody I know wants to play the new version, we stick to classic.

Now if anyone has a metal Warhammer they would be willing to part with....

Originally posted by SuperSulo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

Why aren't you drinking?

I don't have a habit of drinking in front of my monitor at 02:01 Friday night, all alone. Not that much fun, imho. Are you drinking? If so, why? If not, why not?

Oh, and back to the cesspool with you, isn't the whole point of the Peng Challenge Threads to keep you safely contained somewhere?</font>

Religon, no.

Tired of same question over and over again yes.

The whole cost of licensing will prevent BFC from ever doing this, due to that cost going up not down. Of course that is bringing reality into it again.

As far as getting out of my house and doing more than playing CM games, well I might get kicked out of this so called CM religon but I have not played CMBB in almost two weeks if not longer, been busy with other stuff.

Just an FYI.

Originally posted by Priest:

As far as getting out of my house and doing more than playing CM games, well I might get kicked out of this so called CM religon but I have not played CMBB in almost two weeks if not longer, been busy with other stuff.

Just an FYI.

Oh my God, he's 'fallen away'.

This is going to kill your mother, you know. I'm tired of making excuses for why you're never at the Service anymore.

Originally posted by Priest:

[QB]

QB]

You know, I really don't get it. No disrespect intended, but if you are indeed so tired of seeing this discussion brought up over and over again (I may be ignorant in the actual number of times this topic has been raised, but surely it hasn't been beaten to death like some other topics) then why, in the name of your chosen supreme being, do you choose to participate in the discussion? Is it too much to pop in and say something along the lines of "Well, this has been discussed, bluh, bluh, bluh, and I don't think it's a good idea."? Or perhaps even more appropriate if it irks you so, just skip it entirely and check out another thread. You may not mean to, but you come off as quite the condescending elitist. I'm sure this is not your intention, but that's the way it appears to me, perhaps some others, and most certainly to SuperSulo.

The first non-board wargame I played was Panzer General on the original playstation almost six year's ago.But then again a 486 166+ computer with 16 meg's of ram and 1.6 gig harddrive was cutting edge technology way back then so the pixelation did'nt bother me one bit!

Originally posted by tiborhead:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Priest:

[QB]

QB]

You know, I really don't get it. No disrespect intended, but if you are indeed so tired of seeing this discussion brought up over and over again (I may be ignorant in the actual number of times this topic has been raised, but surely it hasn't been beaten to death like some other topics) then why, in the name of your chosen supreme being, do you choose to participate in the discussion? Is it too much to pop in and say something along the lines of "Well, this has been discussed, bluh, bluh, bluh, and I don't think it's a good idea."? Or perhaps even more appropriate if it irks you so, just skip it entirely and check out another thread. You may not mean to, but you come off as quite the condescending elitist. I'm sure this is not your intention, but that's the way it appears to me, perhaps some others, and most certainly to SuperSulo.</font>

tiborhead, I realize that I've probably done you a bit of an injustice, because, in general, your remarks were very courteously stated.

I apologize for that, and to you specifically, but not for my general remarks.

I'm simply so sick of the lot who wander into threads to bray about their 'right' to beat the same topic into the ground, and their 'right' to tell those who simply don't wish to suffer through another repitition of not only the same 'discussion', but also all the stupid baggage that attends on it, that I was unfair in my remarks to you specifically.

I do believe that you're not looking at 'the complete picture' when it comes to the umpteenth repetition of a topic, and the pointlessness of why some of them are continued. But your remarks, in general, were quite polite and reasonable, and my response was unduly 'harsh' where it was responding to you specifically.

Also, I liked the 'gravel' remark. One day I hope to have my remarks regarded so substantively.

Ok, now I really do believe you are just an elitist group of narrow minded people.

Since this subject has been raised "over and over" and "has been discussed to death", I did a search to read what was said. I found three. One in 2000, one in 2001, one in 2002. None but the last one took up the issues I did. In that thread, all the usual suspects from this thread, sans Seanachai, said their thing. "XBOX, it sucks", "Console = Skateboard", "read the BTS Manifesto" and finally "CM ... is not for the masses, it is for the "advanced" gamers who need more than pretty lights and over the top animations. It is a thinking persons game".

I wouldn't say those threads constitute an "endless round of idiocy", and they didn't reach any conclusion, "pointless" or otherwise. All I saw was some plausible suggestions, and ridicule, laughing and rejecting. Major déjà vu. So I give you one point for it's been "discussed" before.

And now to this thread.

Priest

It is a company whose goal is to make quality games, make money while doing it and do all this without selling out to the system. Read the manifesto.
Have I said anything about "make bad games, don't make any money, sell out to the system"? No.

in two years it will just be an old computer, are you suggesting that they limit themselves in this way?
In 2-2.5 years I think the XBox2 will be out. Anyway, I think that CM-II will still be playable on a computer with a 800 MHz cpu and a very good gfxcard.

And the title says CMBB, I was responding to the entire thread.
When you quoted my whole post, and mentioned campaign, lighting and interface and "You are stirring the pot", I did think you were responding to me.

You thoughts have no basis and they have been discussed before and shot down before. This has all been said before, laughed at before, and rejected before.
Yes, I saw you "shot it down", you weren't very effective back then either. The only laughing and rejecting came from, you guess it, you and your posse.

Seanachai long fan mail to tiborhead is a prime example of the behavior of a very audible, but thankfully small, group on this forum. I find it hard to understand how individuals, who appears to be quite intelligent, can behave like this.

Thankfully, we don't have to be in each others faces any more, now I know who to avoid in the future, as I'm sure they will avoid me.

One last thing, as the magic number is coming up for the Peng thread soon, don't name the new thread "I demand that the Peng Challenge will be ported to XBox!" or something like that, that would be cheating. How could I ever compete with that?

Sorry, back to ignoring again. ;)

Originally posted by Sgt. Beavis:

SuperSulo--

You'll notice this kind of behavior on the forum at times. For some on here (without naming names) CM is not merely a video game, it is a religion. Notice how defensive they get when you dare to question THEIR statements and interpretations. Yours, however, are open to criticism.

Some of you remind me of what modern day Pharisees would be like. "You dared to question our way of thinking?!?! CRUCIFY HIM IN THE NAME OF BTS! I AM NOT PART OF BTS, BUT I KNOW EVERYTHING THEY THINK AND I WILL INTERPRET FOR THEM, BECAUSE THIS IS MY RELIGION!"

It's a video game. Not a religion. Some others on here other than SuperSulo need to "get a clue." He can post and suggest whatever he damn well wants to, and you can't do anything about it.

smile.gif

BURN THE HERITIC!

Originally posted by KwK43 L/71:

Wow, a pair of fellow mech pilots, excellent.

Mech2 GBL was the pinnacle of Mech games on the comp. 3 wasn't horrid but it was deffinately taking a turn for the arcade, 4 just blows. It lacks any recognizable mech lab, it's just not Battletech. Damn pretty though, like the M3&4 PPC's better though, the glowing balls are obnoxious.

Course the downfall of MW is parralleled by the fall of BT, now that Wizkids have it they've completely destroyed it. Nobody I know wants to play the new version, we stick to classic.

Now if anyone has a metal Warhammer they would be willing to part with....

Word homes! Yeah, I love Mech 2 with a passion, (hell I still listen to the amazing but short music tracks on the CD!) however I'm shamed to admit that I didn't put much time into GBL (which is arguably the best Mech 2 game) for some reason or another.

I'm not sure what it is about Mech 2 that appeals to me, but it's probably a combination of many factors. The atmosphere --even though the graphics have no textures, or not many-- is perfection; the music is intense yet beautiful; and the combat is fascinating, playing out at the perfect speed --not too slow, not too fast-- alowing one to think about his or her combat decisions.

The game was genius to say the least.

There's not much to say about mech 4, it just isn't a good game. The combat is too fast, the mechs have lost all their weight. --that is, not only do they not feel BIG, but they don't feel ANY particular size or weight, they just are-- (NOTE: MechWarrior 3 pulled off weight beutifully) The combat is uninsteresting for a number of reasons such as the weapons being un-interestingly portrayed and the poor soundeffects etc.

Also, I'm un-impressed by where the series has gone. I found the wars between Clan Wolf, Jade Falcon, and all the others to be more interesting than that of Inner Sphere vs. the clans. Well, then again, the new focus is probably just being done wrong by Microsoft, they do have poor taste (proof: between mission cut-scenes are horrendous!)

KwK43 L/71

Hey, what do you think about the new re-designed mechs in Mech 4? That is, they changed the look of the mechs to make them up-to-date.

This topic doesnt have much life left anyway, so I'll just chip in my feelings about MW2 as well:

Yes! My fellow comrades! MW2 was excellent. I still remember playing it after hooking up my new stereo to the PC and turning up the bass a little - each step would shake the room. You really cant get a more immersive experience than that.

Someone mentioned graphics being non-textured: back in those days, even though texture mapping was in every "hot" game, there was something much more beautiful in the non-texture mapped, light shaded, smooth polygons that left a lot more to player's imagination than the "photo realistic" look of texture-mapped games. There is something off-putting about graphics that claim to be realistic, but carry constant reminders that what you're looking at is only a computer game.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

tiborhead, I realize that I've probably done you a bit of an injustice, because, in general, your remarks were very courteously stated.

I apologize for that, and to you specifically, but not for my general remarks.

I'm simply so sick of the lot who wander into threads to bray about their 'right' to beat the same topic into the ground, and their 'right' to tell those who simply don't wish to suffer through another repitition of not only the same 'discussion', but also all the stupid baggage that attends on it, that I was unfair in my remarks to you specifically.

I do believe that you're not looking at 'the complete picture' when it comes to the umpteenth repetition of a topic, and the pointlessness of why some of them are continued. But your remarks, in general, were quite polite and reasonable, and my response was unduly 'harsh' where it was responding to you specifically.

Also, I liked the 'gravel' remark. One day I hope to have my remarks regarded so substantively.

No worries. I guess a person's tolerance for certain things varies from individual to individual. For my own part, I suppose I am very generous in this regard. I am willing to look at the situation from your perspective, and I suppose I can see where you're coming from. However I still feel the animosity directed at people voicing their opinions on such topics, regardless of the repetitiveness, is a little unjust.

On a happier note, I am glad you liked the gravel comment. This certainly raises my S O a little. Mayhaps one day I'll ascend to the quality of a pile of polished stones. You know, the ones they sell at gift shops? Those things sell for like $3 a piece.

SuperSolo - Do you ever get the feeling like you are telling people, "Hey. The world isn't flat" and the masses are laughing and mocking you? I agree with you (although we are in the minority it seems). Some people are needlessly anti-console and although the camping 88's and tiger health packs were funny, XBOXs are not only owned by 15 year old kids. A lot of adults own them and they just might be looking for a title like this.

Also, I did a search for the word XBOX before I started this thread and didnt see this particular issue "talked to death". I think that CM2 or even CM3 might do well on XBOX (not PS2 or GC) because of the capabilities of the XBOX (OS, Nvidia, Hard drive, etc) and because of the XBOX Live feature allowing head to head games with voice chat and downloadable content.

People - not every game out for the XBOX is published by Microsoft. Only a few are. And the whole anti-microsoft script is tired (no I dont work at MS).

[ December 07, 2002, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: TeAcH ]

Did anyone bother to consider that there probably isn't a big Xbox audience that would actually enjoy CM? If there was a market for console wargames we would've seen more of them before. CM might be able break the mold by its 3D nature, but I doubt it.

There's a reason why most console games are shallow on depth and heavy on graphics and whizbang effects-that's what most console players want. Even RPG's, which probably have the most depth of any console genre, are still much more simplified and graphics-heavy than their PC counterparts. The RPG crowd would be the only one that CM might have a chance of catching on with, IMO. Like it or not, thats the way it is.

There's also the problem of peripherals. It would be hell to play CM with the controller. Does Xbox have some sort of mouse periph?

In my opinion CMBO/CMBB are the kind of games people out there(me included)buy a PC for,how would you feel if NINTENDO released a game called MARIO BROTHERS D-DAY DREAMWORLD?(or something similar).Where mario and luigi where driving round in bubble tanx that fired bubbles at creatures made to look like germans.games should stick to the market it is made for,what advertising slogan would BTL use?"hey kids,are you ready for another history class,time to use your brain(if they have one)and not bash your buttons on your pad."most console gamers wouldnt know a panzer from a pansy(most,not all)

An awful lot of consoles here are bought by parents for kids, and the parents enjoy playing them too.

There's no particular reason why wargames can't be on a console. It's not like they selectively give electric shocks to people who know that WW2 happened.

Those ppl not intersted in it wouldn't buy it. Those who are would. It's the marketer's job to figure out if that makes it worthwhile producing or not.

I REALLY don't get with all this platform-ist cr@p.

Would CMBB be any worse on X-box?

Are you afraid that if you start playing CM on a PS2 then you might find you enjoy car racing too?

All hte objections here are complete drivel.

Not that I see it happening, but it not mappening is something quite different from saying is shouldn't or couldn't happen!

I'm sorry, but CM isn't going to succeed in the console market. Not enough people in that crowd are into our sort of thing. I think serious compromises would have to be made to make it more appealing to a larger audience. With those compromises in place CM would be unrecognizable to its predecessors. That's my opinion.

Anyways, here's a tip to make CM succeed on the console market! Make CM like a breeding simulator or something! What do you get when you cross a Tiger I and a Panther! A King Tiger!

"Tiger II, I choose you!!!!"

Imagine the joy of little kids everywhere.