Abandoned Tanks in Operations

Forgive me if this has been covered before, and it probably has, the Search function wasn't working for me today.

Anyhow, I'm in an armor-heavy PBEM op, and have succeeded in reducing the opponent's tank force pretty well. There are a few turns left in the first battle, and I realized that many of his useless tanks are "abandoned" and not "knocked out". If I have the time ammo, would it not be a good idea to put a few extra rounds into these empty tanks? I recall there being some chance of recovery options before the next battle, and if I can avoid having to kill a Stug or a Panther twice in this operation, well that seems like a no-brainer.

Abandoned tanks will only return if the Op lasts more than one day, and the chance of them returning varies. If it lasts that long then definetly light them up. Not only does it prevent them from returning, but it looks cool as hell to be in control of the battlefield surrounded by burning enemy tanks :D

yes the germans would at times fire at american tanks until they would brew up. this was solely because the americans had maintance batalions solely for fixiing those old shermans that would be put out of action so easily. towards the end of a battle, its nice to pound an abandoned sherman until it blows the top! i just want to know when we can see turrets flip in the air!

Generally you should try to burn those wrecks for sure (don't settle for just knocking them out), if you can do so without danger to your own asets, there is no more pressing threat and you can spare the ammo (bearing in mind you will probably get some more before the next battle).

One complication though is that some of the lower calibre weapons (eg 37mm) seem to have a hard time causing targets to catch fire, so trying to do it with lighter weapons might be a waste of ammo. 75mm+ should do the trick though.

Thanks for all the input. My independent research tells me that the Allies frequently put a few rounds into a German tank, just to make sure nobody was home and that it was unreparable. However, the Germans were unlikely to do the same because of ammo shortages.

Anyhow, its a day-night-day-night-day-night op, so maybe I'll save the demolition work for the night if I can't finish it during the day.

One problem, however, is that, even my infantry with demo packs cannot be ordered to use them on the abandoned tanks. That would be a cool technique.

Come to think of it, didn't Audie Murphy in To Hell and Back sneak out of a farm house during the night for the express purposes of destroying an abandoned German Tank. Great book, btw.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spanish Bombs:

Anyhow, its a day-night-day-night-day-night op, so maybe I'll save the demolition work for the night if I can't finish it during the day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't wait for nighttime, that's when the damaged tanks get dragged for repair. Light 'em up while it's still daylight. You can plink away from a good, safe distance.

Well, thanks for the advice fellas. The 11 or 12 funeral pyres that used to be German armor make quite the sight to behold on the battlefield. I guess I'll figure out what's left behind at the next battle.

As for the small caliber AT weapons, well, I had a Greyhound plink at a knocked out Armored Car for about 7 or 8 shots one turn. I also had a 'zook fire 6 of its 8 rounds in the same turn at an adjacent StuH. No fires, but the repeated "Side hit knocked out" messages were pretty cool to watch. I think I even giggled at the sound.