My Tiger keeps bogging...

Every time I plunk down the big bucks in QMB and get a Tiger/King Tiger, they never seem to make it to the battle. I'm picking 'open' terrain to drive them in, but I still seem to get 'bogged'. Anyone got any tips for moving these giants in battle?

:confused:

Thats actually very realistic...

Tigers and especially King Tigers were very heavy... they had to travel distances over a road to get to a battle, (or like the above post) the terrian had to be favorable...

Just know way around it, got to know the terrian before you buy the big guns... if your plan is to defend a area, then by all means get them and put them in overwatch positions, then let the panzers do the moving.

If you play by capturing the flag, race to the flag along the road, then tactically place the king tigers in good spots around (or near the enemy approach).

They shouldn't be moved much unless the terrian is in your favor.

good luck.

Tip until the patch comes out: Don't buy Tigers (or any heavy tank) unless you are in the South theater.

There is a bug - which is being corrected - which makes all ground conditions Damp or worse even in scorching summer heat. The only theatre in which you have a chance of getting Dry conditions is the South theater.

There is also a bug - again being corrected - which increases your chance of bogging for every tank which is present on the map, including your opponents.

So all together at the moment a Tiger does not have much chance of staying mobile. Your best chance is to put it on a road and keep it on a road.

We need that patch smile.gif

The real Tiger was slow, but it was not especially prone to bogging. The CM model is too simple here, punishing some vehicles it shouldn't, e.g. the STuG III (as opposed tot he StuG IV which is fine).

The CM quickbattle mechanism is also flawed that you get slightly random ground conditions anywhere, even in the South. If you have dry weather and everything you can still get damp ground. Bad misfeature for people who want to have a Quickbattle to run around with some tanks.

That explains it! My current battle... Dec. '44 with Frozen conditions... a King Tiger only made it 3 turns of open ground travel (not fast either) before bogging.

Another Question... once 'bogged' is there any command that increases my chance to get moving again (i.e. Halt/Reverse), or should I leave the current waypoints and let the AI try and get out of its boggedy condition?

As you say Redwolf, there are real problems with the Random weather generator even in the South zone. I have seen heatwaves in November and Thick Fog in gale force winds amongst other oddities.

The all prevading Damp is the biggest flaw, which is being sorted thanks to the BFC boys. What we really need is Random Weather conditions that relate to each other, the season, and the theater.

It seems odd that a game which models the thickness of hundreds of pieces of metal to the n'th degree currently has such unrealistic and occasionally downright silly weather for them to go out in.

This is stuff for another thread though, as I don't want to hijack vanwag's thread, do we fancy starting one on the main forum ;)

Vanwag, I have seen that question about un-bogging asked many times before, and no-one to date has come up with a definative theory.

I've seen people who recommend cancelling all orders, reversing, changing to fast movement, all sorts. I think that at the end though it just comes down to luck pure and simple.

There is certainly nothing in the manual and IIRC Madmatt has also confirmed that it is just luck.

Originally posted by redwolf:

The real Tiger was slow, but it was not especially prone to bogging. The CM model is too simple here, punishing some vehicles it shouldn't, e.g. the STuG III (as opposed tot he StuG IV which is fine).

How so? I thought that StuG III had bad PSI b/c of the Pz III narrow track issue, while Pz IV chassis has wider tracks & thus StuG IV has good PSI?

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

How so? I thought that StuG III had bad PSI b/c of the Pz III narrow track issue, while Pz IV chassis has wider tracks & thus StuG IV has good PSI?</font>

true. The matilda had pretty low ground pressure overall, but had such serious problems with bogging due to the way its skirts and bogey wheels were set up.

I have noticed that bumping one vehicle with another often unbogs the stuck vehicle. It doesn't help if you are well and truly immobilized, but seems to free you from the bog pretty quickly.