Best book detailing French campaign, 1940

Originally posted by JasonC:

I don't make any claim about best, but one readable one is "To Lose a Battle" by Horne. For what it is worth.

Emphatically second that. Touches on social and political events in France leading up to the war as well as a pretty thorough analysis of the military aspects of the campaign.

But you really need to read more than one book to get what was going on. Fortunately, that's not too hard to do as that campaign has been written about almost as much as the Battle of the Bulge by a variety of authors with a spectrum of viewpoints.

Michael

Hi Das Reich et al

Couple in my collection (not specifically from Opertational standpoint though) are :

Blitzkrieg by Len Deighton

The Fall Of France by George Forty & John Duncan

France 1940 Osprey Campaign No3 (Good intro style booklet)

Panzer Battles by FW von Mellenthin has chapters covering France/Low Countries Campaign

Last but not least is Jean Paul Palluds excellent

Blitzkrieg In The West Then And Now

full of great photos and decent narrative.

Cheers

[ February 28, 2002, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Gary Barr ]

Originally posted by Das Reich:

Any suggestions? Looking to focus on the operational aspects of the campaign.

Friesser, Karl-Heinz: "Blitz-Krieg Legende - Der Westfeldzug 1940", Oldenburg Verlag, München, 1995 ISBN 3-486-56124-3.

This is indispensable if you are interested in the background for the German planning and the execution of the first part of the campaign from an operational viewpoint. It is thourough and thought provoking, well researched and fully referenced.

Claus B

PS: It is in German, of course smile.gif

Originally posted by Gary Barr:

I'll second this one. If you have the money and are only planning on getting one book, this is the one I would suggest

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gary Barr:

I'll second this one. If you have the money and are only planning on getting one book, this is the one I would suggest</font>

Actually I would recommend two books in particular on this issue; both are readable and extremely important.

1). Robert A. Doughty, The Breaking Point: Sedan 1940 and the Fall of France.

2). R. A. Doughty, The Seeds of Disaster: The Development of French Army Doctrine 1919-1939.

The first of these two works deals exhaustively with German and French sides.

Originally posted by Andreas:

If Pallud's book is anything like his Ardennes volume it is a must read (not that I own either).

I actually thought his Blitzkrieg book was better than the Ardennes book. I'm still collecting pennies to buy D-Day Then and Now... now THAT is pricey smile.gif

Das Reich,

Blitzkrieg Deighton is a good intro book. Readable and cheap!

Germany's Lightning WarGilbert has great photos and maps, decent text and not too expensive.

Or are you looking for something very detailed, dry and "definitive"?

Originally posted by Gary Barr:

Blitzkrieg by Len Deighton

This was one of the ones I wanted to recommend but I couldn't recall the author's name, famous as it is. :(

It deals with the Blitzkrieg as it evolved during the first year of the war, climaxing with the fall of France, so it covers the Polish campaign as well. Not quite as comprehensive as some of the other titles, but succeeds at its goals pretty well and remains very readable. Lots of interesting tidbits of information that most accounts fail to mention, like that the tails of the German lead divisions led back 60 miles along German highways before the atack jumped off and thus would have made highly lucrative targets for Allied air power had they decided to act.

Michael

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

If Pallud's book is anything like his Ardennes volume it is a must read (not that I own either).

I actually thought his Blitzkrieg book was better than the Ardennes book. I'm still collecting pennies to buy D-Day Then and Now... now THAT is pricey smile.gif </font>