does this make sense

I was playin a quickbattle, i bought two panthers 1 platoon of infantry,3 roadblocks 5 infantry mines, 5 tank mines, and about 8 barbed wire. Making a giant line with these obstacles, the enemy was forced to attack to the far right flank where the line ended where my two panthers awaited them. They blew the hell out of the entire enemy force.Eventually they found a way through the obstacle to the left flank so i moved and killed em all there too. Is it realestic for 2 veteran panther g's to kill 3 enemy tanks, 3 halftracks, atleast 40 infantry, and scare the crap out of about another 60 or so and win the battle with very little help from my 3 rifle teams and its hq. It seems like bs and it ruins the entire balance of play. Off course, maybe it was just the dumbass ai?

There's certainly enough combat reports about troops having kittens when a Panther appears in a blocking position on a distant ridgeline. The can indeed ruin somebody's day.

If you made it through unscathed you were lucky. A lot of people take the Panther's Ubertank reputation for granted and get themselves into more trouble than they ought. If you play the same game again chances are you may loose one Panther early to a lucky shot to a weak area and get your second Panther smoked by artillery and sit there usless. It's been known to happen.

On the eastern front a single tank at times hedl up entire battalions and brigades. From the book Panzer Aces, there are menay accounts of a TC with his tank holding up an entire Russian battalion and wiping it out and/or routing it.

Herman Bix for example in a lone Pz-III snuck into a town trough a ravine and proceded to wipe out an entire Russian motorized battalion in the town. He also came up against 2 KV-I tanks, he hit them numerous times in the side armor and rear armor at 30m but no penetration with his 50mm, so he told the gunner to aim for the KVs GUN. The gunner managed to hit the KVs gun and damage it and then he shot off the tracks, he proceded to the same to the seconds KV tank.

Anyway, it is possible for 2 tanks to hold up an entire attack, if handled properly ofcourse. As others said, the AI is horrible at attacking, and also do try giving the AI +2 bonus, it helps a little.

PL,

Panzer Aces has to be one of my favorite if not the favorite WWII I've read so far. I am going to order Panzer Aces 2 soon.

The Panzer Ace that struck me the most though was Ernst, he commanded a Hornissen, a pltoon of them and later a company. He fought in this open top, lighty armored tank hunter (Hornissen) in the battles for Vitebesk, winter 43-44. And he survived and became a tank ace. Simply amazing; I mean that mean he was so damn good he didn't even get hit once, cause if he did, it's all over in the Hornissen.

Later Ernst recieved a Jagdpanther and he was shot in the head by a Soviet Officer when soviet troops were close assaulting his tank. He was shooting them with his luger from the hatch. The tank was imobile and the soviets were just climbing on top of it.

He survived the gun shot wound to the head, had surgery in Germany and fought against the Americans in 45, with a platoon of JagdTigers. His careers sticks in my mind the most.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hydralisk911:

I'l havta try the attack with the experience bonus, and which would you reccomend, panthers or tigers?

Given a choice I take Panthers! Just might be the best all around tank you can get in CMBO.</font>

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Play the operation "Villers-Bocage" on the CD. Just how much damage can you do with that one Tiger? It's fairly scary to think that Wittman did better that I ever managed, and I had two or three goes.

Just watch out for the Fireflies. They'll spoil your day real quick.

I have NEVER played CMBO as the Allies. But from the other side, the Firefly puts more fear in me than just about any other Allied tank. Except for the Crocs.

I hate the crocs.

Two panthers racking up such scores on defensive is not only realistic, it's pretty much expectable.

Not to mention the fact that you played against AI.

At war, very weird things sometimes happened. Lowly T-60 knocking out two Tigers. One well placed Stug breaking an attack of dozen T-34s. Etc etc.

> On the eastern front a single tank at times

> hedl up entire battalions and brigades.

Please take these accounts with a pinch of salt. Especialy the "wiping out" part. I am not saying it didn't happen at all - just that authors of books like Panzer Ace are not terriby critical about their sources.

Originally posted by Hydralisk911:

I had the far end of my two thirds of the map as the defender with the obstacles and my forces inside of the town with my platoon and panzers.What do you mean......

I suspect he means that because the map has an edge the AI couldn't outflank you and was channeled into the Engagement Area would had formed at the end of your obstacle belt.

You were able to shape the enemy so he was forced to attack into one area and were able to mass your best weapons there.

As for the Panther's effectiveness, its probably best to think of it as the M1A2 Abrams of its day.