Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Is there FOW when counting enemy soldiers?

I would swear I’ve seen cases of identifying an enemy unit, say as a platoon headquarters, but the windows with the number of soldiers and casualties shows 1 effective and 0 casualties. Has anyone else noticed this?

Is this a feature? I haven’t found anything in the manual. I certainly like the idea of spotting only a few of the men in an actual unit and having that reflected in the unit ID. Leaves you wondering whether you’ve inflicted casualties or if you just haven’t spotted all the men yet.

Ace

One thing the game does do (using EFOW at least) is to not always show you a correct number of individual solder models. Very often you think you are being assualted by full squads and when they get identified it shrinks from 3 to 1 solder model and turns out to be 2 guys left in a 10 man squad or something. This can be scary, like how you sometimes see tiger(?) when it's really a PZIV.

Ren

Was it a Soviet unit and can you identify what type of HQ it is? It's possible that the HQ section just consists of a single officer for certain platoon types.(I think I recall seeing this in the Red Army Handbook - need to check)

[ October 25, 2002, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Henry Kearney ]

IIRC it *is* in the Manual. The new E-FOW setting can (sometimes?) only show who is alive in a unit, but not who is a casualty- how would you know after all?
I don't think so. It either doesn't show you the number of troops at all or else it shows you the OK and Casualty numbers. About the only way you get only the alive men is if the actual number display disappears (because the unit is out of sight), but the weapons graphics still show you the number of weapons active). I consider that a bug.