KV - IS Heavy Tank

pad152,

The idea was to keep unwelcome interlopers off the

rear deck of the tank in particular and away from the tank's vulnerable rear and flanks in general. The rear MG gives the tank much needed close protection from enemy infantry, read "close assaults" in an area which can normally only be "scratched" by other tanks in the platoon or by supporting infantry. It can be used even when the tank's buttoned up. Anyone used to leaping unhindered onto the backs of T-26s or T-34s, Tellermine in hand, would find the unexpected encounter with an MG in the face a bit offputting at the least.

Regards,

John Kettler

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Speaking of the KV-1s, did anyone else find it pretty dang useless in the Citadel scenario? As the Germans, I usually capped the thing within 20 seconds of its appearance on the field; as the Soviets, it last about 40 seconds from its hull down position.

I thought these things were ubertanks or somefink . . .

The KV-1S was a lighter version of the standard KVs. This of course resulted in the vehicle being lighter armored but faster. Basically it's the wimp of the KV family. And by the time it was introduced (late 1942) the Germans were having a party with 50/L60 and 75/L43 - 75/L48 guns.

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Speaking of the KV-1s, did anyone else find it pretty dang useless in the Citadel scenario? As the Germans, I usually capped the thing within 20 seconds of its appearance on the field; as the Soviets, it last about 40 seconds from its hull down position.

I thought these things were ubertanks or somefink . . .

In the Kurskscenario I set up a nice ambush position with four AT guns and the two KVs. The KVs alone knocked out 3 PzIIIs and 2 PzIVs within 2 minutes. One of my KVs got a damaged gun, the other survived unscathed.

I waited untill the main body of the german tanks (who had already suffered losses by AT guns, AT rifles and a lucky molotov cocktail hit) passed my KVs (hidden in the old river bed) and moved into the rear of the german tanks.

These 7,6cm guns are not bad, two PzIV started burning right away. One PzIII exploded after the first hit.

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Speaking of the KV-1s, did anyone else find it pretty dang useless in the Citadel scenario?

Nope.

Having bulldozed my way through the Sov defences for the loss of 1 Mk III and 1 Mk IV, I took the Russkies, and was not a little disappointed at what a pathetic little popgun the 45mm is, when executing massed fire into the flanks of Panzers at two or three hundred metres. At least the anti-tank rifle is so bedwettingly impuissant that tanks you have been shooting at for three or four turns don't take any notice of you.

My first KV-1S got waxed by a PzIV at 1000m or so. Sezhant Batsanov in the other tank decided that there was no future in this, and so decided to fight from a flank. Emerging gently over a small hummuck on the Russian right as the Germans straggled over the last ridge before the riverbed, he plugged 2 Pz IVs and 3 Pz IIIs -- the last of these with HE rounds after all his AP had been expended. The 12 45mms between them managed an equivalent score for the loss of every gun; Batsanov survived the battle, and I should think ought to be in line for an Order of the Red Banner at least.

All the best,

John.

The AT rifles are not totally worthless. I had an AI controlled AT rifle team force a crew of a Pz III to bail after about the fouth shot from a range of 15m. The fouth shot was the first penitration (side hit) and musta scared the crew to death! They were ignoring the rifle team at first, opting to spray a Maxim team about 25m away. :cool:

slight PUCKER factor when I saw the 1st KV-1 over the hill, took out 1 PzIII but I quickly knocked it out with one of my PzIV (right flak shot).

The KV series had a very high profile (specially the turret) thus making it easier to kill even from a hull down position.