Birdsongs: getting rid of?

ianc

Alright, I'm going to say this again, to me the ambient sounds in CMBB and CMBO are a great part of the ambiance. I like it. That's why I prefer not to turn it off. . .

BUT

. . .FOR CHRIST"S SAKE--gun fire should not be drowned out by rain falling and birds chirping!

If only there was a way to adjust the volume of the ambient sound rather than just turning it on or off (I know, maybe I'm a bit too retentive). Surely there is someone amongst all the mad modders out there who would kindly tone down the ambient sounds?

Originally posted by pavlov:

. . .FOR CHRIST"S SAKE--gun fire should not be drowned out by rain falling and birds chirping!

It sounds quite accurate to me - reminds me of the first day of hunting season with distant gunfire. And trust me - the first day in Pennsylvania sounds like a war.

...FOR CHRIST"S SAKE--gun fire should not be drowned out by ... birds chirping!

As an owner of two birds, allow me to be the first to tell you... YOU ARE SADLY MISTAKEN! One single obnoxious and/or angry (as in "pay attention to ME") bird can drown out Howitsers, TF-33's, J-57's hitting water, Deisel engines in ANYTHING, etc, etc. *no-grin*

Originally posted by -E:

Yeah, I see your point there. I've had a couple birds before, and they are insane. They scream and scream until you go up to their cage to give them some attention--then they take a chunk out of your finger. :( But then again I don't suppose too many parots can survive the dread Russian Winter.

It sounds quite accurate to me - reminds me of the first day of hunting season with distant gunfire. And trust me - the first day in Pennsylvania sounds like a war.
(sigh) I don't really want this to degenerate into a discussion of who is more redneck than who, but I live in Oregon, and I've been around guns all my life. And yes the gunfire on CMBB does sound like distant gunfire but the (admittedly very minor) problem with CMBB is that one is viewing a battle from the middle of it not several miles away, and I find it too difficult to tell when there is firing going on.

Anyway, I was just hoping someone could make a toned down version of the ambient sounds available, or failing that maybe someone knows the file names and I'll just do it myself.

guns all my life. And yes the gunfire on CMBB does sound like distant gunfire but the (admittedly very minor) problem with CMBB is that one is viewing a battle from the middle of it not several miles away, and I find it too difficult to tell when there is firing going on.

*sigh* (with more exasperation than your sigh)

Anway, sighs aside, I always thought they were supposed to be distant guns - ambient sounds of battles going on someplace else. It's kind of hard to discuss "realism" during the suspension of time - I wouldn't really expect to hear the guns on the battlefield that I'm on during the suspension. But I guess I wouldn't hear distant guns or birds either.

Can anybody get the dog barking sound from CC3? That would be a perfect replacement for the chirping birds.
How about cats meowing?

No! Pigs squealing!

No wait! Goats! I love bleeting goats!

If only there was a way to adjust the volume of the ambient sound rather than just turning it on or off
Yes! That's it exactly. The friggin' rain is loud enough to make my ears bleed. Wind would be great just a bit quieter.

Could some magician mod the sounds and just turn them down some? I like the ambient sounds generally, just too loud. It detracts.

*edited 'cause I didn't read the whole thread before posting, as usual. I'm a jackass*

[ November 24, 2002, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Jack Arilliac ]

Originally posted by Jack Arilliac:

[QB

Could some magician mod the sounds and just turn them down some? I like the ambient sounds generally, just too loud. It detracts.

[/QB]

Doesn't require a magician, it's a pretty simple thing to do. I forget what it's called in Win 9X, but in XP there is a sound recorder under Accessories/Entertainment by default. Use it to open up any wav file in CMBB. Sound Recorder has a "decrease volume" under the Effects menu. Save the file when you're happy with it and you're done. I'm sure Macs have something similar.