Essential Mods for good graphics?

I'm not to happy with the CMBB Graphics Engine but it does the job. Looking at some of the mod screenshots here, I noticed that there are very nice, seemingly higher-res texture mods out which make the graphics pretty decent.

But, does one really have to sift trough all the mods at CMMODS to get a decent package? Or is there some combined distribution somewhere with the most important mods?

If not, I guess I'll be off to download. Take it that simple replacing the .bmps is sufficent as installation?

regards

RS

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

If not, I guess I'll be off to download. Take it that simple replacing the .bmps is sufficent as installation?

Yes, that's how it's done. I'd recommend the tiny "Flamethrower mod" which replaces the flame texture and doesn't make it look so much like orange juice. A nice small mod.

There are high-res wheat mods, houses, etc. Different flame and smoke are also nice sometimes.

RSColonel_131st wrote:

But, does one really have to sift trough all the mods at CMMODS to get a decent package?

Well you know what David Duke said; "We're all wizards under the sheets."

I'm sure every modder thinks their particular mod is just grand. And there is the added complexity of not knowing what might appeal to your particular taste. CMMOS makes it somewhat easier since it allows for a simple way to use the mods as plug-ins. Different mods for different occasions. One never wants to overdress. In the end your correct, one has to pretty much sift through the lot to find what suits them the best.

CMBB is not CMBO, most of the mods for the game are not higher-rez than the game's default artwork (not counting Juju's stuff ;) ). Most CMBB art is athe same res as CMBO 3rd party Hi-Res.

The difference mostly involves the extra love and attention lavished on 3rd party mods. With 300 tank types and 600 other unit types to do BFC simply didn't have the luxury of time.

Oh, I can also heartily reccomend Captain Wacky's LOW-RES gridded terrain. I have an Athlon 1400, but I still use the Low-res to help speed. W/ low-res I can turn on full anti-aliasing and antistropic Filtering and still get smooth scroll.

Also, the grids are great too. Never used them on CMBO, but now Icouldn't go back.

Oh, and finally, get the Sunflower field mod. Personally, I use only the doodad for it, but it looks great.

Suggestion-I'd like the modders to always routinely include an "original" and "mod" screenshot where applicable,so we can judge whether we want to d/l it.

Some of these modders are as good as Michelangelo and I salute them!

my problem is that i overwrite em, but im reinstalling CMBB so i can have the originals back and this time i will have them backed up. i d/l mods and overwrite em without backing em up. i would like to redo the IS2 done by SamiV but with more options. i m such a slut but after backing up everything i will have the original and the mod together so you can see for yerself if ya like it or not

[ December 19, 2002, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: MrNoobie ]