</font>

• 1GHz Athlon</font>
  • Via KT7 </font>
  • 512MB PC133 RAM</font>
  • Radeon 64MB DDR</font>
  • 1024x768</font>
  • W2k
    </font>

My box runs CMBO just beautifully.. CMBB, however, reminds me of how it was on my old AMD K6/500.. As I recall, CMBB does not make any use of GFX HW. The only upgrade to make things faster should be new CPU and maybe new mobo + DDR ram..

What makes things tricky is that every component is rather cheap on it's own (CPU, Mobo, RAM, GFX), but they add up.. And a faster CPU requires a new Mobo requires new RAM!

So anyone running the beast with fast (~XP 2000+) CPU and not-so-fast GFX card (Geforce, Radeon, G400) .. How is it?

Hmm.. Antialiasing is off.. And yeah, your spec is pretty close to mine.

Even calculating turns takes a lot longer than in CMBB. So maybe it is the GFX card, old radeon is a lot slower (1.5-2x difference in game FPS with same cpu) .. But this shouldn't affect how long it takes to calculate turns?

Erm, I just placed an order on a new mobo + some DDR memory, maybe I should swap that for a more speedy gfx card ;)

I've got what i would consider to be a fairly decent machine and the only thing I have noticed is that the movement animation is jerky. I've tried turning down the trees and the doodads, but it doesn't help all that much. I figure my weak link is my graphics card....maybe I'll upgrade

2.4 P4

512 mb Ram

Geforce3 t200 64mb

Ok, I found something. Check this out:

Start Yelnia scenario as Germans, extreme trees, blah blah. Try scrolling back & forth (works reasonably quickly for me).

Now select any infantry unit and try again. Much slower. Bring up the info screen for said unit. Way way slow!

Gotta try if this works with calculating turns too.

Oh, default camera angle (but this works on every zoom level) .. Tree coverage blabla does not do anything. I tried this at setup, without covered arcs or anything.

[ September 01, 2002, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Barleyman ]

Just for comparison, I tried big CMBO scenario (Into the east). With my heavily modded CMBO setup, the base framerate was at least 2x and there was no perceptible slowdown whatsoever after selecting units and/or bringing up the stats screen.

Please fix or do somefink!

Originally posted by Panzer Boxb:

Not a single hitch with my rig.

Dual Athlon MP 1900+

VisionTek Geforce4 Ti4600

1GB PC2100 RAM

Windows XP Professional

How about you DP Mac(s) & your Cinema Display(s)? :D

Funny enough CMBB runs even better than CMBO on my Mac.

Gyrene

I'm experiencing a little jerkiness as well when I'm simply scrolling around the map from level 3 view and lower. It really is very, very slight, but I shouldn't be experiencing it with my rig given the size of the maps. I have all effects maxed out.

2.2 Ghz P4

2 GB PC-800 RDRAM (non-ecc)

Abit TH-7 II R 133 Mobo

2 60 GB Maxator 7200 RPM (ata-133) HD (RAID"0").

Visiontek Ti-4600 GeF 4 (128mb DDR)

(anti-aliasing 4x) - (whatever drivers were released around August 7)

XP Pro

Audigy 5.1 Platinum

FWIW, I played around some more and noticed selecting either mortar or an ATG does not hurt scrolling speed. Anything else I've tried from squads to FOs hurts things. A bug is a bug is a bug is a bug?

No, it's not a slight slow down, more like 1/2 speed with unit selected vs no selection. With stats box open, FPS goes down to about 1-2.

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Gyrene:

Well, up until a bit ago I was unable to get the Mac demo so I was using my awesome Mac setup for getting the PC demo distributed. However, there are now two new mirrors (see the appropriate thread), one for broadband users and one for dial-up. Third mirror is toast for now.

Aqua you have a monster machine technically everthing should run smoothly right?

Barley:i almost have the same specs as you and have experienced lag especially the Yelnia scenario...i tried to play as Germans and its way to slow....calculating turns is a pain in that scenario..

Originally posted by MrNoobie:

Aqua you have a monster machine technically everthing should run smoothly right?

Yeah. The jerkiness while scrolling around the map is very slight, but approximately the same as I experience in a heavily wooded 5000 pt assault QB with augmented forces for the attacker. It shouldn't be acting like that in scenarios of this size.

Hello,

In scenario #2 (the medium one), the only slowing down I experienced was when I was near the big wheat field on the soviet side of the map.

I have quite a good system, with the exception of the graphic card.

AMD 1.4GHz (thunderbird)

512Mb RAM

3D Prophet SE, 32Mb (Geforce 1 chip smile.gif )

Win 98SE

All in all, CMBB works well.

I had some freezes and returns to desktop, but I just deactivated directX gestion of the AGP (I know, it's weird but it's the only way to solve my 3D problems...) and all was OK.

Sig

I figured it out. There's a bug in CMBB and/or Radeon's drivers. What you have to do, if you're experiencing extreme slowdowns is to disable "Z-Mask" feature.

Go grab a good Radeon tweaker. You'll find the setting under Direct3D stuff, right at the end. You might want to create a profile that runs every time you run CMBB demo.

Turning Anti-aliasing on helps as well.

Originally posted by Barleyman:

I figured it out. There's a bug in CMBB and/or Radeon's drivers. What you have to do, if you're experiencing extreme slowdowns is to disable "Z-Mask" feature.

Thanks Barley! You rock. That slow-down was hideous. I just knew my Radeon 8500 didn't suck that bad! tongue.gif

- Chris