Ordering in the UK?

Both Game and Special reserve have the release date in Britain as the 20th wiht a price ( I think,) of 29.00. However I did see an advert for CM2 (as they called it,) in PC Gamer which said it was out in october. CDV will clarify this at some point....

Hi Jeff

One way (the only ?) around this Cdv 'issue' is to order indirectly from US. By this I mean you can order the game online at BTS as long as the delivery is to an address in US and then have the kind soul you had it delivered to pass it on to UK for you. Sorting out postage payment to US friend is a small problem.

Main problem is that compared to Cdv release the cost of this method is tad more expensive, I estimate around $70-75 including game if using a priority mail service from US, and in fact I can get 2 copies of UK version for this (£26.99 is cheapest I have seen it advertised). BUT when the UK release will actually be is seemingly a secret smile.gif

My other main concern with Cdv version is (WG vs SS issue aside)wether any of inevitable patches for Cmbb will suffer from same Anlgo-phobia ? smile.gif although I seem to recall that BTS stated that patches would work for both US & UK versions ?

Of course if you speak/read German you are sorted as that version is due out on 20th (which is hard to fathom since it needed a full translation of Cmbb !!)

Such is life........

Cheers

Originally posted by Moon:

CDV's Combat Mission website

Moon,

In another thread we were pointed to the CDV site as the answer to all our questions about UK release dates, but as was mentioned there it doesn't. In fact CDV is silent about when we will be able to buy it.

Alas, I fear that although your tie up with CDV is intended to gain wider sales than you would otherwise attain through direct internet marketing, this will, if achieved at all (and, as also pointed out elsewhere, your choice of demo scenarios mitigates against it), be at the expense of pissing off your existing customer base.

Looking at it from your point of view I suppose you win both ways. Existing fans will buy regardless and you may get new adherents. However it does leave a nasty taste in ones mouth. As a monopoly supplier of high quality WWII tactical games you probably should not give a big rat's bottom.

Time for a beer, thinking about the capitalist system is causing depression.

Steve and "Coffin", sorry, I saw the German site with a stated release date and assumed that similar information can be found for the other countries. Apparently, that's not the case.

CDV has the last say about release dates etc., but it's in their best interest to not delay a release - and especially not the UK release. So I don't think you have to worry about it too much.

Martin

I guess that my main point was that when buying CMBO I did it all from the Battlefront website, it duly arrived and I was happy - (I had previously regularily got ASL stuff direct from the U.S. so was used to the process/wait).

Now for CMBB we instead get directed to 3rd party website that is, at best a little vague about the details - I'd just prefer to deal direct with Battlefront if possible.

Hi Martin

CDV has the last say about release dates etc., but it's in their best interest to not delay a release - and especially not the UK release. So I don't think you have to worry about it too much.

Roger that but maybe a little 'query' ref proposed date from your goodselves at BTS might yield a firm release date to put us out of our growing misery smile.gif

I emailed Cdv directly and prompt reply said only that UK release was due late Sept or into Oct....

Problem with October is that it leaves 30 possible dates !! ;)

Cheers

Jeff,

We would have liked the option of maintaining direct contact with our existing customers too. Trust me, we wouldn't be giving that up if we didn't feel it was in the overall best interests of CM, customers on the whole, and us.

The simple fact is that in any sales arrangement there must be a definition of Territory. One party can sell to it, one party can not. It is potentially harmful for a sales arrangement to have internal competition at the highest level. However, I don't think this is 100% the same if one entity is online only and the other is (mostly) in retail. But this is not proven and retailers are (rightly) very afraid of losing out to online sales. So the old tried and true system remains in place.

Pehaps things will be done the next time, perhaps not. But I can say that we (Battlefront) are watching how this process goes ahead very carefully. CDV is quite aware that if they want another deal with us we need to be happy with the previous one. They also know that we think of our customers as our #1 concern and REALLY do care about our relationship remaning strong.

Having said that, we (of course) don't have direct control over what they do within certain parameters. Therefore, we can not tell them to ship this or that version on this or that date. But if the UK release is delayed beyond the 20th... well, let's just say that every day that passes after that won't be tallied up in the "jolly good show" column smile.gif

Steve

I am new to register, but have been playing cmbo for about 2 years, so hi everyone. I am a little concerned that the uk delay will lose sales for cmbb, because many people using file sharing programs such as kazaa will be able to download for free rather than wait for a month (or more) for the uk release. Furthermore, it seems strange nowadays given file sharing and piracy for the need of seperate release dates particularly when dealing with the english language versions.

P.S. I have pre-ordered my copy through Game and can't wait!

Hi,

Steve and al, I was an heavy whiner about the HamsterGrenadier issue, doesn't want to replay that, but really you should examine facts and realize that your European fans got the short end of the stick in your business agreement with CDV :

* CDV doesn't have any track in wargames (Sudden Strike ! :eek: ), and doesn't pay much attention to CMBB - so the fog about European release

* We are stuck with their *censored* decisions about crappy protection schemes and HamsterGrenadiers :mad:

* And we cannot even buy the game directly to BTS - this one is harsh !

Ok, I'm a dedicated ranter, and maybe you made a good business decision,but we've been screwed up ... :(

[ September 09, 2002, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Pascal DI FOLCO ]

I just noticed that the Finnish game imorter Plan 1 has a release date of 30th of September for CMBB.

If this is the average in Europe I wouldnt say our situation is that poor...

1. If I can go to a shop in Helsinki and take 1 copy of CMBB from the shelf on the 30th and start playing Im only 2-3 days behind you americans who have ordered it by mail...

2. I will receive a 233 page Finnish manual as well as the english one. This is really just a bonus for me, nice though...

Jussi

Originally posted by Jussi Köhler:

I just noticed that the Finnish game imorter Plan 1 has a release date of 30th of September for CMBB.

If this is the average in Europe I wouldnt say our situation is that poor...

1. If I can go to a shop in Helsinki and take 1 copy of CMBB from the shelf on the 30th and start playing Im only 2-3 days behind you americans who have ordered it by mail...

2. I will receive a 233 page Finnish manual as well as the english one. This is really just a bonus for me, nice though...

Jussi

It may be the case for you, but I only ask for an ORIGINAL US CMBB, not a French, Finnish or Swahili localization, and neither the Moon and the Stars tongue.gif ...

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

It may be the case for you, but I only ask for an ORIGINAL US CMBB, not a French, Finnish or Swahili localization, and neither the Moon and the Stars tongue.gif ...

Let me tell you that I would be quite upset if my manual turned out to be written in Swahili :D

But as it seems you gotta order the original US CMBB through a mate, end of story...

Jussi