Daisy Chain Mines?

I've recently started playing Combat Mission.

I have a scenario where a daisy chain mine has been placed in the road. I have half tracks and infantry. The mine stands between myself and my objective. (I am not going to name the scenario as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who might be reading.)

I don't have engineers. So, I cannot clear the mine.

However, I have experimented and it seems that for the most part I can drive my half tracks past the mine. However, on one occassion, one of them did get immobilized.

So, how much of a threat does this mine pose? Can it be disarmed or safely by passed?

Being able to move my half tracks up the road and take advantage of their MG fire is a great aid in this scenario. Otherwise, it is a very hard fight just depending on moving troops through the woods.

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markshot:

So, how much of a threat does this mine pose? Can it be disarmed or safely by passed?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well as a threat it "can" (not will) disable every vehicle that passes over it.

I am not sure that it will as I think it is modelled so that there is a chance of disablement.

As for disarming I think the only way is engineers. I don't think it will become disabled by running "X" number of vehicles over it. Or by firing HE at it.

If it is light woods either side or any other approach I would use that. I am not sure what the percentage chance of a disablement is as I have never done any tests and the designers are coy about that information.

H

Clay:

Daisy-chain mines are simply AT-mines placed on the ground, not dug in it. They are more an area denial weapon, than a serious effort to immobilize enemy AFVs. Usually one employs them when there is no time to dig the mines, and simply denying a route of advance counts.

How to use them in CM? Someone suggested, that one should place them right behind a ridge, so that the enemy vehicle coming over it hasn't got time to stop, and drives into the mines. I usually don't buy them, the price difference to normal AT-mines is not that great.

-Lunael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clay:

Yes, but that doesn't answer the basic question: why can't daisy chain mine be destroyed by HE rounds! Heck, I can destroy a two floor building in a couple turns given half decent gun! So why not.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you have a good point clay, anybody should be able to walk over to them and pick them up/or shoot HE at them until they are diabled. as was stated above, these mines were usually easy to spot in reality, and were used to keep someone off a road. they were usually covered by many arcs of MG fire.

but the fact that there is only two ways to take them out (engineers/demo charges) is just one of those things; like the fact that you cant indirect fire over hills. im pretty sure that im CM2 these will be modelled a little more clearly.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

you have a good point clay, anybody should be able to walk over to them and pick them up/or shoot HE at them until they are diabled. as was stated above, these mines were usually easy to spot in reality, and were used to keep someone off a road. they were usually covered by many arcs of MG fire.

but the fact that there is only two ways to take them out (engineers/demo charges) is just one of those things; like the fact that you cant indirect fire over hills. im pretty sure that im CM2 these will be modelled a little more clearly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about that. I distinctly remember removing antitank mine fields with arty. I will admit it was 14" naval guns, but after I got done there wasn't any evidence of the minefields (or much of the town, for that matter). :rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergeant Saunders:

I don't know about that. I distinctly remember removing antitank mine fields with arty. I will admit it was 14" naval guns, but after I got done there wasn't any evidence of the minefields (or much of the town, for that matter). :rolleyes:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what cant the 14" naval gun remove? for fun sometime, look at the blast factor on that artillery!

I use daisy-chain mines to make my opponent go in a direction I want him to go. (i.e. usually around them) where I have set up the real thing. Or by placing them in the road you force your opponent to move off the road and possibly into the mud, scattered trees, or brush where he might become immobilized. I also us it to try to get my opponents to fall right into a AT ambush.

Nedlam

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

what cant the 14" naval gun remove? for fun sometime, look at the blast factor on that artillery!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It can't destroy concrete bunkers.

Daisy chain mine fields are smaller in dimension than regualr AT mine fields. They just about cover the width of a road. If you have spotted the mines your vehicles can drive around them more easily than a regular AT minefield since the vehicles have to deviate from the road much less. Unless you have woods or some other terrain impassible to the vehicle it can make its way around. If the vehicle can't go around and you have no engineers, then the daisy chain mines have done their job - which is to deny a route of movement or attack. Daisy chain mines are also useful when you want to block a paved road, since you can't place regular AT mines on a paved road.