Captured units

Yes, but it is rare. It depends on a variety of factors, including unit morale, any HQ influence on the unit, global morale, any previous losses the unit has suffered, and the situation in which the unit finds itself.

For example, a Green infantry squad with four losses, out of command and control, surrounded by a tank and two platoons at close range, with a low global morale level, is probably going to surrender; whereas an Elite infantry squad under an HQ's influence, with no losses, high global morale and facing a platoon of infantry probably will not.

Usually, though, with units that have Veteran morale or above, the unit is killed before it can be taken prisoner.

This of course does not apply to situations in which your forces autosurrender.

Hope that isn't too confusing.

Any unit will surrender. It is a very common thing to see. Advancing infantry will force isolated enemy units to surrender. Units are more likely to surrender when attacked from the rear or surrounded as their ability to retreat is taken away, Global morale, as noted in an earlier post, plays a large roll in the AI's fight, flee, or surrender options.

In a recent Pbem, I captured the final survivor of 4 Vet. MG teams, and 1 Vet. Piat team. However, none of them were in command at the time of their respective surrenders.

Sometimes troops will surrender at long range (100m+) if they're in the open and being blasted, esp. if its by a tank.

All units can surrender - I've captured depleted squads, MG crews, bailed out tank crews, etc. I once captured an entire AT gun crew - the tank appeared behind the gun at a range of 30m, the gun started to rotate, the tank blasted the gun, and the crew surrendered.

My impression is that whenever the TacAI would ordinarily "break and run" but it can't draw a "run" line internally (similar to not being able to get a valid "withdraw" line when manually giving the order) it will then either surrender or stay hunkered down in place, with the chance of doing each dependent on things like command, experience, and global morale.