Is PBEM integrity assured?

Being new to CM & PBEM, can I assume we all play by the same rules? That is, can my opponenets manipulate or corrupt files I mail him/her?

Im not PC savvy, so I dont know whats possible & whats not regarding PBEM integrity.

I believe most players want a level playing field, & wouldnt resort to cheating, am I naive or just paranoid?

Originally posted by Fly-By:

Being new to CM & PBEM, can I assume we all play by the same rules? That is, can my opponenets manipulate or corrupt files I mail him/her?

Im not PC savvy, so I dont know whats possible & whats not regarding PBEM integrity.

I believe most players want a level playing field, & wouldnt resort to cheating, am I naive or just paranoid?

There are many sites that have very reputable pbem opponents: Band of Brothers is one.

It's good to be a bit parandoid, but if someone is cheating in a game, you'll notice it quite soon.

And in anycase, if someone starts to cheat in this or any other game for that matter, the word spreads around...and soon the cheater has to play again against AI.

So I'm not too bothered about this possibility. And speaking for myself, I even wouldn't have the energy to start modifying the PBEM files, for the sake of winning one game...

I've never heard of anyone cheating in this game, with regard to changing attributes of units or anything like that. I HAVE read posts in this forum regarding CMBO where someone explains how a player could gain an advantage by repeatedly selecting quick battle maps, viewing them, and then choosing the map most suitable prior to sending it to his opponent. I don't know if that's possible in CMBB or not. The advantage that would accrue through this would be a "one up" on unit selection when the QB parameters had been largely set to neutral. A general convention, though, which circumvents any such chicanery, is the agreement to play only on maps that both parties find acceptable (or to play on premade maps). Honestly, I've never HEARD of anyone actually doing this, nor suspected anyone that I've played; I've only read where someone has stated that it could be done in the effort to get BFC to correct the problem.

Also, presently, with CMBB, when a quick battle is generated and sent to an opponent in TCP/IP play, the non-hosting player can view the briefing which identifies the parameters that the game was set for. The purpose of this feature is just to assure players that their opponent is playing on the up and up and didn't select skewed parameters. However, the ability for the non-host to view the briefing parameters in a QB prior to selection of his units is being removed in the upcoming patch, IIRC. Even now, though, this information really would be of no advantage if the players choose to have computer-picked forces.

So, I don't think anyone manipulates files in the sense of creating super units, and while its technically possible that some informational advantage can be acquired, I personally have no reason to suspect anyone I've played of doing so, nor have I ever read of anyone being suspected of having done so.

I'd have to say that the folks who play H2H here are, by far and away, mature players who find little satisfaction in an illicitly-acquired win.

From a pure computing standpoint it is impossible to prevent that one players figures out everything about the enemy force and leads random combat results in his favour. That is because the action phase computation happens on the player's computer, not on a neutral third-party computer.

Having aid that, I once have been told there is a patch for CMBO which would manipulate hit chances in your favour. But I don't believe that, I think it was just a rumor brought up by a guy who had his Tigers shot up smile.gif

"BAND of BROTHERS", perfect suggestion Green Hornet!

After reading cover page, sounds just like what Im looking for!

I have made a total of six PBEM contacts on this site & appreciate them all thus far [including one "far out" individual].

When I have completed my obligations here, Ill sign up @ Band of Brothers.

Thanks again. FlyBy

Yeah, it's interesting how loosing PBEM can cause your perspective to narrow, vision to blur and your fingers to type things you normaly wouldent say. I had a close (5 year) gaming friend get indignant with me and actualy wanted me to back up a few turns and replay until I sent him a series of screen shots clearing up the who got killed question. After seeing the screenshots he said he could see the kill in his replays. We are still friends!

It just goes to show how your view gets distorted when you plan gets pooped on!

Originally posted by redwolf:

Having aid that, I once have been told there is a patch for CMBO which would manipulate hit chances in your favour. But I don't believe that, I think it was just a rumor brought up by a guy who had his Tigers shot up smile.gif

[ November 06, 2002, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Hammer ]