Grr - struggling to get TCP/IP games going through ADSL router

Hi, hope someone can explain how to solve this.

I have a router with a fixed IP of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and it gives me an internal IP of 192.168.1.12 (router is .1) I want to play a friend at CM:BB and we are both on ADSL. When I create a game the only IP that comes up is my private one, and he can't connect to my public IP to play. Any tips?

Typical Commie restrictions on freedom of speech, just like in North Korea. When millions of oppressed British Tories aren't able to communicate with the world outside by using CM's chat function, they can only rely upon the BBC - and that way they'll never find out that the most fundamental human right is to arm bears.

Wait, why would a Tory want to communicate with any outsiders? :confused:

To host behind a router, you will have to use the public address of the ROUTER, and arrange for it to send the network information through to a computer of your choice on your local network.

For this to work, your router will need to support "port forwarding". That means you will need to configure your router to forward the appropriate TCP port (7023 & possibly 7024) to the host machine's IP address.

You should check the instructions that came with your router to see if you can cause this to happen.

As stated above, you need to setup port forwarding on your router (sometimes called virtual servers and god knows what else).

To do so:

1) Forward port 7023 from your router to the computer you wish to host from.

2) Give your opponent your public IP. Best way to get it is to go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ .

3) For good security practice, remember to close the port after playing the game.

WWB