Frequently-Asked Questions - Combat Mission - Barbarossa to Berlin

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if this is possible at this point as this thread has turned into a series of bumps, but someone really needs to add the corrections to the advanced tutorial to the FAQ.

Any newbie could really use that to be fixed. It's awfully confusing as is with the whole left/right thing mixed up.

Thanks,

Ken

Originally posted by Soddball:

Tell me where the advanced tutorial is, and I'll patch in the information to the first thread.

I think he means the one in the manual (the .pdf part for us lucky CDV owners), which appears to have been written by someone who never mastered the art of telling his right from his left, a cesspooler no doubt. I don't know where the corrections are though, I just gave up on it and let the AI slaughter me.

This is basically an excerpt from a discussion way back when regarding a AAR of Jagermeister, the advanced scenario's battle.

Fixes for the Advanced tutorial in the manual.

Scenario - Jagermeister as the Russians

Task Force B is supposed to head all the way to the far left hill. Your tanks can, indeed, reach that by turn 10 with fast move. They may not look like it when they are crawling through those trees, but they can. Oddly enough, I would probably have sent my infantry on foot. They would get there a LOT sooner (I think) and could make sure all is clear for your IS-2s.

As for the tank riding infantry, I sent 3 squads and the HQ. I left the other squad with the Coy CO. (4 squads and a leader would require 5 tanks while the tutorial only allows 4)

Regarding TF A, that is easy... but if I play it again I would not put all my forces right there at the scattered woods & hut. I'd spread them out some along the back of the ridge all the way between the left side of the road & the hut. With the new supression model, if all your troops crest and descend in the same place then fire on one squad in the midst will affect everyone around too.

There you need to make sure your SUs have local superiority so that your troops can advance over the crest without being slaughtered. TF B should hopefully be in position to attract the Panthers' attention. Also, the 6 or so remaining IS-2s I had were doing shoot & scoot or seek hulldown to the Tigers to take them out. That actually worked quite well, but I think I was lucky.