Frequently-Asked Questions - Combat Mission - Barbarossa to Berlin

Here is what I hope to be the definitive FAQ. It will cover the useful, and not so useful, questions asked by the many new faces here.

If anyone has anything to add to this, please post it here and I'll update this post.

NOTE FOR THE HARD OF THINKING

You only need to read the first post in this thread. Any information further on has been collated into the first post. That's what "update" means. OK?

The Background

Buying the Game

Where can I buy the game from?

If you're in Europe and own a PC, you can buy the game from your local store.

If you're in Europe and own a Mac, you can buy the game over the internet from Battlefront.com.

If you're in Japan and own a PC, you will be able to buy the game through Micromouse, but not through Battlefront.com

If you're anywhere else, you can buy over the internet from Battlefront.com.

Have there been any patches released, and where can I get them from?

Patch v1.01 is available now. If you're a European buyer you need to head to CDV's Combat Mission Website for the English, French and German language versions(68MB). If you're a US buyer, you can download the US patch (25MB) from the Battlefront.com website.

A full list of all updates included in the patch can be found here.

What's the difference between the European and the American version?

The distributor for CM:BB is a German company called CDV. Under German law, it is forbidden to promote Nazi and SS political views or material in media. These include the Nazi emblem or the term SS. In the European version of the game, SS units are renamed WaffenGrenadiere. This does not affect their combat performance.

The European manual is also different to the American one. To make the European one fit into a DVD case, it was trimmed down. The full manual is available on the CD, in PDF format.

The CDV version also has a copy-protection system that can struggle with some anti-virus programs or CD-players.

Please be aware that this only affects the PC version of the game. The Mac version is not being distributed by CDV and is unaffected by the above.

That sucks, man!! I'm in Europe, I have a PC, and I want the American version!!

Then you will need to find a nice, friendly American who will agree to post you a copy. The American version will not be available for purchase in Europe.

A patch is now available which alters the names of the Waffengrenadiere back to SS. This is available thanks to the hard work of Schoerner. It is available in German-language and English-language versions from Tom's Combat Mission HQ.

Battlefront.com have generously agreed to make arrangements so that European buyers who wish to own the full manual can purchase it from the US.

So how do I get the full version of the manual?

See below:

"Due to a recent change in European retail requirements, the printed manual included with the European version of Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin, distributed by CDV, contains fewer pages than the version which ships from the Battlefront.com website. The manual's size is limited by the restriction that it must fit into a DVD box, the new European standard for retail software packaging. The pages which could not fit into the printed manual are included on the CD-ROM in PDF format.

Neither Battlefront nor CDV is happy about this arrangement, but it is required of us by retail locations so they can maximize their shelf space through exclusive use of DVD boxes for all new game releases.

We regret that it must be this way and wish to extend an option for those of you who feel that a full-sized printed manual is a "must have".

Although it is not a perfect solution, we are offering to sell a copy of the full-sized, 266-page English language manual to any CDV customer who wishes it. All we ask in return is that our costs be reimbursed.

DETAILS AND INSTRUCTIONS

You must follow the instructions fully and in the correct order! Failure to do so could delay your manual shipment by several weeks!

1. Place an order online for the Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin Replacement Manual (English Language).

Your credit card will be instantly charged $10 ($3 for the manual plus the shipping and handling charge of $7 for Europe).

2. Tear off the cover page of the CDV Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin Game Manual (any language), and mail it along with your full name and shipping address, to the following address:

ATTN: Scott

Kea/Moran

461 Avenue D

Williston, VT 05495

USA

3. Once we have received the CDV manual cover and verified payment your replacement manual will be shipped out of our warehouse in Ireland.

4. We will only allow ONE Replacement Manual per CDV Cover sent in. For example, If you want to order three Replacement Manuals you will need to send us three CDV Cover Pages.

5. You MUST send us the front cover of the original CDV version game manual along with your full name and mailing address. Failure to do so will result in a lengthy delay or cancellation of the order.

The whole process should take about 2 weeks."

I don't see why I should pay for a manual. I already paid for the game, why should I line the pockets of BFC again?

Read what it says above. You are being charged $3 for the manual, and $7 for shipping. BFC are providing the manual at cost. If you have a problem, that problem lies with the distributor, CDV, not with the software house that has gone out of its way to help you. Talk to CDV. Incidentally, have you considered how many OTHER software houses would go to such lengths to satisfy their customers?

Now help yourself to a nice cup of shut the smeg up.

I've played CMBO since Day 1 by sneaking into Charles' house nightly and finding the daily builds. I used to love taking down those arrogant big cats with my Super Pershings. How do I need to change my tactics when fighting for Comrade Stalin, the Motherland, and the right to not be invaded by the Wehrmacht?

If you mostly played the Americans, you may find yourself missing the ubiquitious flexible machineguns, rifle grenades, and bazookas. As the Soviets, you'll need to work much harder if you've got infantry against armor, because you may have no more "special" weapons than a Molotov... and you may pay a far higher price for neglecting AA guns. Not only will you have, in general, fewer flexibles to provide basic AA defense, but aircraft may be more robust and their armaments can be quite impressive in CMBB.

The anti-tank rifles, on the other hand, are new to CMBB. These teams are very difficult for the opponent to spot and identify, and fire tungsten rounds that have a pretty decent chance to score a penetration. However, they are rather small rounds, so against genuine medium tanks you can count yourself rather lucky if they get an immobilization, let alone a kill.

In addition, with the larger maps in CMBB, long-range engagements are a bit more likely. Combine this with the optics modelling and the often significantly lower muzzle velocity of the Russian tank guns (Compare the T-34/76's "F-34" 76.2mm/L41.5 gun with the long-barreled PzIV "KwK 40" 75mm/L48. The former gets 662m/s w/ BR-350A AP ammo, with 71mm penetration of 90-degree armor at 500m; the latter, 790m/s with a faster, heavier PzGr39 AP round that penetrates 114mm at the same range and slope, according to Achtung Panzer's PzIV page.), and you may find yourself at a significant accuracy and penetration disadvantage. Plus, there's no bocage to narrow the ranges and constrict only the enemy's movements... This game, don't overlook tank destroyers like the SU-100 w/ its "D-10" 100mm/L54 gun, or long-barreled AT guns... or at least, don't pretend you have heavily-armored, very well-armed Super Pershings ruling the battlefield.

Another adjustment is that your artillery delays are much longer than for the Americans in CMBO. The Soviet artillery system was not especially responsive, and some of your spotters may be hampered further by needing to contact higher-level artillery assets that are not specifically assigned to your unit. In addition, your spotters using wire instead of radio will be slower at getting into position for spotting. Learn to love the preparatory barrage, especially with high-level artillery in heavier calibers.

Any chance of some screenshots before I make my mind up?

This thread contains screenshots of the Quick Battle generator, the unit rosters for different periods, and a couple of views of the maps.

Pre-battle

Where is Barbarossa?

It's not really 'where', but 'what' ('Operation Barbarossa' being the code name for the German invasion of Russia, starting June 22, 1941 or 'who' (the operation having been named for Emperor Frederick 'Red-beard' Barbarossa, b. 1152 d. 1190). Barbarossa to Berlin, then, implies that it covers from the beginning of this attack to the final days of the Red Army's assault on Berlin.

Where are the Americans / the British?

They're outside the scope of CM:BB, having mostly left this area to the Red Army. If you insist on playing them, try the previous game, "Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord".

There are't any horses or motorcycles included in the game? I know that they were there by the thousand, so why aren't they included?

Horses and motorcycles were both debated during the development of the beta code. The consensus, was they were both of limited tactical value once shooting starts.

A second problem would be HOW you'd use them. with this game engine you can't sub-sub divide combat teams down to individuals to place them onto horses. So would one horse 'represent' three horses? Ditto for cycles.

And thirdly, the amount of labor it would've taken to write them into the program and construct useable polygons would've been much too high in proportion to their value to the game.

I'm looking at the vehicle menu, and they're all greyed out?

If you're in Platoon mode, try switching to Individual. Tanks generally are available in platoons, but non-tanks may not be.

In Combat

How do I capture vehicles?

You can't. You can purchase captured vehicles for a Quick Battle, or receive them from a scenario designer, but you cannot capture (and use) a vehicle during battle.

My tanks shouldn't die like that! I saw in this film, right, where Tigers were invincible, and my Tiger was taken out! BTS please fix!! or do somfink!!

Armoured vehicles are not invulnerable. Tanks have weak spots. A good example of this is the early Panther. Whilst it had excellent armour protection, the armour was shaped in such a way that shells could be deflected through the thin top armour. Look for the words 'shot trap' in the unit details. You should also remember that tanks are vulnerable to infantry, and that rushing a tank forward without protecting it with infantry is a surefire way to have it destroyed.

Note also, that it is possible for high-explosive shells to knock out or kill tank crews.

OY! This vehicle doesn't look like it should.

To ensure that the game would actually fit onto a CD, BFC had to release the game with some vehicles sharing textures. This is the case for a number of vehicles. BFC are currently hard at work on the first patch for the game, which will correct some minor errors and will include up-to-date textures for certain vehicles. Their primary aim is to update the 'minor nation' vehicles - Hungarians, Romanians, Italians etc.

HEY! I bought twenty tanks in a QB and I only got sixteen! What's going on??

This is a thing called 'casualties'. You can see a box where you can set the number of casualties before the battle starts. It's in the manual, which you should probably have read.

My radio-less tank was out of command due to being buttoned, but when I unbuttoned him, he was still out of command? What gives?

While buttoning/unbuttoning is instantaneous, you need to wait until the turn replay to see the command status change. It's also necessary for both tanks (commander and follower) to be unbuttoned.

What's all this stuff about a "Death Clock"? Should I care?

In the dark, wintry days of CM:BO, men were real men, women were real women, tanks were real tanks, but not quite. As soon as you had killed an enemy tank, you knew about it, even if the tank hadn't exploded or moved. In real, authentic tank combat, the tank crew would, after they had fired the shot they thought had knocked out the enemy tank, put a few more rounds into it just to make sure.

The death clock is a way to model this. Once a tank is 'knocked out', there is a random time until it appears as 'knocked out'. During that time, it's still an active target, and units can still fire on it.

There's, like, nine million different commands for getting from one place to the next. What do they all mean and why are some better than others?

A place for everything and everything in its place. There's more to the morale effects of movement orders than you think, for example. It seems that each movement order is assumed to be used only in certain situations, and those situations put the troops in certain mental states. I call it "attitude". This attitude isn't a morale bonus or penalty, but troops with a given attitude react to the same battlefield events differently from others with different attitudes. You'll see what I mean below.

Also, not all the new moves are available to all troops. So sometimes you have to use MOVE when you'd rather use ADVANCE.

MOVE

What it Means: Troops route-marching, just diddybopping along.

Use: Moving troops not expected to be shot at this turn in a way that conserves energy and maintains noise discipline. Example: moving from LOD to the phaseline where you expect to start taking fire.

Advantages: Relatively fast (faster than ADVANCE, for instance) but still nonfatiguing and relatively quiet.

Disadvantages: Troops have a "we're safe right now" attitude, so incoming fire is something of a shock to them. They quickly run for cover even if they never show up as "panicked" or worse. But then again, you're not supposed to use this when troops will probably get shot at.

FAST

What it means: Troops running full speed, ignoring all other considerations.

Use: Quickly shifting troops you don't expect to get shot at this turn. Example: moving a reserve platoon to head-off a flanking move you spotted earlier than your opponent intended.

Advantages: Fastest infantry move available.

Disadvantages: Extremely vulnerable to fire due to total avoidance of cover (you can't run fast if you go through all the bushes). Extremely reduced spotting ability. Rather fatiguing but less so than ASSAULT. Can cause loss of some ammo for heavy weapons teams.

ADVANCE

What it Means: Troops advancing by leapfrogging rushes of small sub-groups of the unit. For squads, it would be fireteam/section rushes, with one shooting while the other moves. Troops make use of available subtile-scale cover.

Uses: Closing with the enemy from the point of taking fire up to within about 20m or so. Also for crossing open areas further away that are under enemy observation and possible interdiction by MGs or HE.

Advantages: While there is no morale bonus per se, troops have a "here we go" attitude so incoming fire is not a shock to them, at least in reasonable doses. So instead of running for cover they keep on going up to a point. Troops take fewer casualties from the same fire than MOVING troops.

Disadvantages: Slower than MOVE and causes fatigue relatively early, about the same as using FAST. Can't be used by conscripts, heavy weapons, or green troops out of C&C.

ASSAULT

What it Means: Troops advancing by individual rushes, "I'm up, he sees me, I'm down" stuff, while the rest of the unit fires.

Use: Getting across those last 20m or so into bayonet range.

Advantages: Actual morale bonus instead of just attitude, more fire put out while moving than any other order, troops use subtile-scale cover very well.

Disadvantages: Extremely fatiguing (moreso than FAST) and very slow. Can't be used by conscripts, heavy weapons, green troops out of C&C, tired units, or units that have already freaked and rallied. Because of the last 2, it's hard to ADVANCE across long distances and then ASSAULT.

HUMAN WAVE

What it Means: Troops walk (MOVE) and then run (FAST) towards the objective, totally ignoring cover and not doing much shooting, but yelling loudly.

Use: Conscript version of ADVANCE and ASSAULT combined. Can be used by other troops but shouldn't be due to severe disadvantages.

Advantages: Only way to get conscripts to move under fire. Small morale bonus.

Disadvantages: Lack of significant suppressive fire on the move combined with all the vulnerabilities of MOVE and FAST, so troops die a lot and the morale bonus isn't enough to make up the difference. Often results in the complete disorganization of entire force committed to attack as squads freak at different points along the advance and run for cover in different directions, removing themselves from C&C. Because game engine converts player's single waypoint into 2 waypoints, the panicked troops that recover often have a FAST waypoint remaining, so utterly exhaust themselves trying to run several hundred meters. Can't be used by non-Russians, heavy weapons, units not in C&C, and exhausted units.

So why use MOVE? Well, if you don't need to move under fire, there's no need to accept the fatigue you get from ADVANCE. Plus you cover ground faster. Besides, how else do you get heavy weapons around the map?

Why use HUMAN WAVE? If you have a choice, I have no idea. Units committed to HUMAN WAVES are almost always done for the game. Even if they don't get slaughtered, they will usually be so disorganized that it'll take you the rest of the game to sort them out again.

General Stuff

IF I POST ALL MY TOPICS TITLES IN CAPITALS, WILL THAT MAKE PEOPLE READ MY POSTS MORE?

No. The caps lock key is on the left of the keyboard. You can spot it because it has the words 'CAPS LOCK' written on it. Make sure that you type in lower case. Your post does not become more important because it's in capitals, and it will also irritate people.

Where can I chat online with other players?

If you wish to chat online with other players you can do so via two methods offered by CMHQ.

1.Internet browser. Just click this link and you will be taken to it.

2. Internet Relay Chat, or commonly known as IRC. Connect to the server www.combatmission.com port 7000 and join #lobby

The Internet chat takes a million years to load, where can I get this IRC thing?

IRC clients and accessories are available Here.

Where can I find some CM:BB mods?

Try:

CM:BB Mod Catalogue

http://pages.infinit.net/antaress

CM Mod Database

I want to play some new scenarios and operations. Where can I download them from?

Scenario Depot

I want to have a go at modding, but I don't know which BMP files are which. This link should tell you which BMPs are associated with which vehicles.

I want to take screenshots to relive those great moments again and again. How do I do it?

Press the 'Print Screen' on your keyboard. Then switch out of Combat Mission, go to your graphics editor (if you're on a PC with Windows the Microsoft Photo Editor will do fine) and 'paste' the image. It's that easy.

All about this forum

The Combat Mission forums can be a bewildering place for a new player. There are lots of 'in phrases' and references to stuff you just can't know about. I've compiled a short list to explain what's what.

What is all this nonsense about Peng?

The Peng threads are for new players. If you're new to the game or the forum, go in there and talk to the denizens or challenge them nicely to a game. They will be more than happy to help you out.

What is MasterGoodale's thread of cheery waffle?

MasterGoodale is one of our more enthusiastic posters - creating between 2 and 5 new topics a day, mostly along the lines of "This game is great!"

Whilst such joy is gratifying, it is pushing much more important posts (like this one) off the front page. MasterGoodale has therefore been consigned to a single thread from where he must post everything he wants to say. It's a kindness really. Pop in and say hi to him otherwise he'll think he's been forgotten about.

Why isn't this thread sticky?

I don't know. I assume it's because this forum can't have sticky threads. It's a pain in the bum, I can tell you.

What is this "cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet" nonsense?

It's from this comedy website about ninjas. I don't know why it's taken off. It's just a forum thing.

What is the "Night of the Refreshing Monkeys"?

Way back in the days of yore, the CMBO demo was due to be released (yes, this is a long time ago). There were a fair number (hundreds, rather than the thousands there are now) of people waiting for this demo, which was due to be released at midnight.

So, from 11:30pm onwards, several hundred people kept 'refreshing' the downloads page so that they could start downloading the demo.

After 4 gazillion refreshes, the server exploded. This also killed off a large number of registered users, which was not at all a bad thing.

What is all this stuff about pissing someone off so they would growl and show their teeth?

It's all thanks to Rommel22, a poster who has now joined the USAF but pops back from time to time. This thread, which entered the realms of lunacy at post 2 and never veered away from it, is the cause of the wierd catchphrase.

Updated and corrected 15/10/02 - thanks Pascal di Folco!

Updated and corrected 15/10/02 - thanks russellmz!

Updated 15/10/02 - thanks Mud!

Updated 16/10/02 - thanks Cameroon!

Updated 16/10/02 - thanks Mud! (he's a busy boy)

Updated 19/10/02

Updated 03/11/02 - thanks Shadow 1st Hussars!

Updated 03/11/02 - thanks Bullethead!

Updated 04/11/02 - thanks russellmz!

Updated 14/11/02 - thanks Brian Rock!

Updated 19/11/02

Updated 20/11/02

Updated 01/12/02 - thanks Krazy Kanuck!

Updated 01/12/02

Updated 05/12/02 - thanks Andreas and MikeyD!

[ December 18, 2002, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Soddball ]

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread may be a good idea, but I think that your declarations need some precisions / corrections :

* German law does not "forbid" to ever tell "Nazi" or "SS". This would just be criminal amnesia ! :eek:

To the contrary it just forbid to promote Nazi/SS political views, behavior, and insignas in media that are destined to youth.

So CMBB, as a PC game, *could* be considered as an item for the youth, and so if it featured Nazis/SS could be "banned" from stores.

THAT'S the issue, not Germany forgetting it had been nazi !!

Some Germans made that clear in long posts some time ago, make a search ! :rolleyes:

* Another difference between BFC's and CDV's version is that CDV CDs are copy-protected... :rolleyes:

* The un-CDVed PC version is not available in Western Europe.. The MAC version is available for all countries through BFC.

How do I capture vehicles?

You can't. You can purchase captured vehicles for a Quick Battle, or receive them from a scenario designer, but you cannot capture (and use) a vehicle during battle.

Where is Barbarossa?

It's not really 'where', but 'what' ('Operation Barbarossa' being the code name for the German invasion of Russia, starting June 22, 1941 or 'who' (the operation having been named for Emperor Frederick 'Red-beard' Barbarossa, b. 1152 d. 1190). Barbarossa to Berlin, then, implies that it covers from the beginning of this attack to the final days of the Red Army's assault on Berlin.

Where are the Americans | the British?

They're outside the scope of CM:BB, having mostly left this area to the Red Army. If you insist on playing them, try the previous game, "Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord".

I'm looking at the vehicle menu, and they're all greyed out?

If you're in Platoon mode, try switching to Individual. Tanks generally are available in platoons, but non-tanks may not be.

My radio-less tank was out of command due to being buttoned, but when I unbuttoned him, he was still out of command? What gives?

While buttoning/unbuttoning is instantaneous, you need to wait until the turn replay to see the command status change. It's also necessary for both tanks (commander and follower) to be unbuttoned.

To the contrary it just forbid to promote Nazi/SS political views, behavior, and insignas in media that are destined to youth. So CMBB, as a PC game, *could* be considered as an item for the youth, and so if it featured Nazis/SS could be "banned" from stores.

On the other hand, I'm sure more than a few Neo-Nazi wanna-bes has had his ego deflated when his Elite SS troops get ground up by conscript Soviets.

"But...but...they're supposed to be supermen!"

"Yeah well welcome back to reality, now say hello to Mr. Canister Round." :D

Some adjustments for those used to CMBO:

I've played CMBO since Day 1 by sneaking into Charles' house nightly and finding the daily builds. I used to love taking down those arrogant big cats with my Super Pershings. How do I need to change my tactics when fighting for Comrade Stalin, the Motherland, and the right to not be invaded by the Wehrmacht?

If you mostly played the Americans, you may find yourself missing the ubiquitious flexible machineguns, rifle grenades, and bazookas. As the Soviets, you'll need to work much harder if you've got infantry against armor, because you may have no more "special" weapons than a Molotov... and you may pay a far higher price for neglecting AA guns. Not only will you have, in general, fewer flexibles to provide basic AA defense, but aircraft may be more robust and their armaments can be quite impressive in CMBB.

The anti-tank rifles, on the other hand, are new to CMBB. These teams are very difficult for the opponent to spot and identify, and fire tungsten rounds that have a pretty decent chance to score a penetration. However, they are rather small rounds, so against genuine medium tanks you can count yourself rather lucky if they get an immobilization, let alone a kill.

In addition, with the larger maps in CMBB, long-range engagements are a bit more likely. Combine this with the optics modelling and the often significantly lower muzzle velocity of the Russian tank guns (Compare the T-34/76's "F-34" 76.2mm/L41.5 gun with the long-barreled PzIV "KwK 40" 75mm/L48. The former gets 662m/s w/ BR-350A AP ammo, with 71mm penetration of 90-degree armor at 500m; the latter, 790m/s with a faster, heavier PzGr39 AP round that penetrates 114mm at the same range and slope, according to Achtung Panzer's PzIV page.), and you may find yourself at a significant accuracy and penetration disadvantage. Plus, there's no bocage to narrow the ranges and constrict only the enemy's movements... This game, don't overlook tank destroyers like the SU-100 w/ its "D-10" 100mm/L54 gun, or long-barreled AT guns... or at least, don't pretend you have heavily-armored, very well-armed Super Pershings ruling the battlefield.

Another adjustment is that your artillery delays are much longer than for the Americans in CMBO. The Soviet artillery system was not especially responsive, and some of your spotters may be hampered further by needing to contact higher-level artillery assets that are not specifically assigned to your unit. In addition, your spotters using wire instead of radio will be slower at getting into position for spotting. Learn to love the preparatory barrage, especially with high-level artillery in heavier calibers.

Originally posted by Soddball:

What is all this nonsense about Peng?

The Peng threads are for new players. If you're new to the game or the forum, go in there and talk to the denizens or challenge them nicely to a game. They will be more than happy to help you out.

Now, is that answer really helpful?