How much are YOU upgrading for CM:BB?

I'm still on a PIII 500 which I don't plan on trading up from anytime in the near future. I've come to realize that processor upgrades don't always provide the jaw-dropping performance increases that people think they will, however.

Now my jaw did drop when I stuck in that new Geforce3 Ti500 and 768 meg of ram. :eek:

I will be upgrading soon, but not necessarily for CMBB. The system will be:

Abit KG7 RAID Mobo

Athalon XP 1500 or Seriously OCed Athalon 1ghz (200mhz FSB model, rumor has they can do 1.4ghz without too much sweat.)

512mb PC2100 DDRam

2x 30gb HDD running in a striping RAID0

SB Live 5.1

GeForce2 Pro w/ 64mb DDR

DVD, CD-RW, etc., etc.

Mainly for OFP and IL2, but it will do real nice for CMBB.

WWB

Finally got around to having 2 PC`s at last! Yep, went out and bought a new system for Wolfenstein and CMBB!

AMD 1900+, 512mb, 80Gb IBM Raid-0, 19" Monitor, SB Audigy, the works....I`m ready! So WHERE is the game? C`mon BTS, where is it? No, I mean, i`m serious here, where...oh bugger it, back to CMBO :)

I'll only upgade if CMBB absolutely wont run on my K6III 450 MH with NVIDIA Riva TNT2 32MB video card. No sense in buying a better card, the motherboard already bottlenecks the one I have now. It'll have to be a whole new machine, and it'll have to wait. I've got college to pay for, plus I need to come up with a downpayment on a house. :( Real life can be a pain sometimes.

Wacky:

All you have to do is request from Alienware that they put in a different version

of Windows. I did this exact thing and they installed Win98-SE for me (runs fast

and stable, no compatibility problems), didn't want that ME junk. XP soaks up

more system resources, and for what gain?

I would tell them to install Win98SE.

Well I've got one of those "pre-built" HP comps. Windows ME, (no problems here for me), 850 MHz, lots 'O disk, 90 megs I think of memory. Have had no problems with CMBO. I DO have the "non-upgradeable" video thing, although I think I hae 11 MB of memory. Can't remember exactly. I just hope that CMBB will run on it. Hell even if it doesn't run perfectly smoothly, it will work for me!

But the real question is, if you've got this built-in video thingamajig, can you still slap in a more appropriate video card? Or will the built-in stuff refuse to "give it up" so to speak?

That would of course require finding a slot for the thing, which given the cramped inside of this box will be a bit of a challenge...

Guest ckoharik

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Windopaene:

Well I've got one of those "pre-built" HP comps...But the real question is, if you've got this built-in video thingamajig, can you still slap in a more appropriate video card? Or will the built-in stuff refuse to "give it up" so to speak?

That would of course require finding a slot for the thing, which given the cramped inside of this box will be a bit of a challenge...<hr></blockquote>

You may well be SOL on the vid card. While on vacation I was checking out my friend's HP box and there was a slot...just not accessible. :eek:

As for myself, I think my system will continue to do nicely for now. (TBird 1.33/512MB PC2100/40GB/GeForce3/SB Live) Although, I have been eyeing building a dual proc system for my 3D stuff. ;)

Clubfoot & Everyone,

Club,

how much of an increase and/or benefit did you receive upon upgrading to a GeForce3 Ti500? What was the visible and tangible benefit?

What had been your prior video card & your prior amount of RAM? Do you think that an upgrade to a GeFroce3 Ti200 would have given an almost similar benefit as the Ti500 gave to you on your relatively slow machine?

Club & everyone,

Presently, I have a P2-400, 512 RAM, TNT 16 meg. In about 5 or 6 weeks, I will purchase a new super whammy Athlon XP, GeForce3 Ti500, & the whole shooting match in order to play Medal of Honor &, of course, CMBB. My sweet wife shall inherit the old P2-400 which shall be networked to the new Athlon machine.

However, one must bring the old P2-400 up a bit to be able to have decent LAN games and my local LAN to internet games. :D:D

Question: what video card and/or what else should I do to cheaply ($100 to $200) upgrade the old P2-400 to give it more pep & zip? Remember, the P2-400 has 512 meg RAM already.

Cheers, Richard smile.gif

Ok, I'll jump in. A little background; I've been running a PII300 since 1998, and was resigned to not playing CMBB for a while. Then the money gods smiled upon me alowing me to build this:

1.53 Ghz AMD XP

512 MB PC2100 ECC DDR RAM

Soyo Super Dragon A7V266A Mobo, w/ on-board 5.1 sound and RAID

ATI Radeon 8500

2 Maxtor 7600 RPM 40GB drives running in RAID 0 :D

And the usual goodies.

I have been having great fun playing the battles in CMBO that before were not possible...

I hope CMBB has toggle switches to turn off some of their heftier goodies like they do with trees now.

I may just have a creaky old mac G3 but this isn't the right economy to be spending two months rent to get a game to run faster.

Funny how Bush's tax windfalls for the super-rich failed to revive the economy as promised. Who's surprised - let's see a show of hands.

I was very unhappy with my Gigabyte socket 370 motherboard and Celeron 600 processor so I upgraded to an Asus ATX Motherboard and Athlon Thunderbird 1.1 G processor. My Geforce2 MX400 card works so nice with the upgraded computer. btw I use the 23.xx drivers for the NVidea card and they work great. CMBO runs so smooth now!!

I also have 650mb of RAM so I'm ready for CMBB when it comes out hopefully for my birthday in April smile.gif

RW

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CJMello:

Running a PII 400 and will go with a PIII or PIV. Whatever I can afford now and probably max the RAM out. After this, next time will be a whole new machine which I am not looking foward to. Too used to this one.<hr></blockquote>

Well, you are probably limited to slower Pentium 3s, your motherboard cannot handle much more. Pentium 4s will definitely translate into a new machine.

WWB

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sgt Colon:

Excuse my hysterical laughter :D:D

But all this sounds like 'mens room' talk, like

" I can get further up the wall than you"

tongue.giftongue.gif <hr></blockquote>

In the bathroom in elementary school I once watched a kid limbo under an arching stream of pee.