To BFC: Super Soviet Grenade takes out Panther

Is the Soviet RPG grenade represented in the game with any sort of special grenade image in the unit info area of the interface (when a leg unit is clicked on)? I just played a QB and actually had one of my Soviet SMG squads lob over a ordinary looking grenade that knocked out a Panther G. It wasn't one of those grenade bundles or anything, just a single grenade. The Panther was already buttoned up as well. Can't say I've ever seen this happen in all my CMBB games unless it was an anti-tank grenade or grenade bundle. Is this a bug? One time glitch? Pure Luck?

I think the RPG is considered a 'special' item and gets a different picture, so unless your SMG squad had such an icon disappear from that box it didn't use one. It would also have been listed in the unit info 'hit enter' screen.

Apparently, you just got REALLY lucky... time to start whistling the "Ikari Warriors" theme music, perhaps.

The Russians did have an antitank grenade that was thrown upwards, a small chute was deployed, and the charged went off when it hard the upper portion of the vehicle, either the turret or the engine grates.

I can easily see a grenade taking out a tank, once the engine is destroyed the tank is not going to survive long.

MikeT

Are you sure it wasn't a Tesla Tower? Those things are DANGEROUS at range!

In all seriousness, maybe it was a demolition charge? I've taken out tanks from 30+ meters with demo charges before.

Steve

[ December 07, 2002, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

Lumbergh,

You're right. Note that the squad doesn't exist at one single point that you see in the game. They are spread out and occupy a "tile" let's say 20m square. So throwing a grenade 40m could really be 1 guy at the "edge" of the tile doing some heroic AT close assault w/ a 20m range, whatever it was.

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

In all seriousness, maybe it was a demolition charge? I've taken out tanks from 30+ meters with demo charges before.

Steve

What, you personally? Now that's what I call a hobby

:D

The squad's abstracted range is about 15m, not 40-50m.

I repeat: I took out a number of KV-1 with normal hand grenades from headquarters, at ranges of 30-40m. Headerquarters do not have special items.

[ December 07, 2002, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Ok here's one, a rumanian pioneer squad in a

house throws a demo charge at a russian light tank about 25-30m away. Boom,

the house that the squad is in is rubbled (so

with the adjacent house with another squad in it)

and the tank gets merely abandoned....

C.

Originally posted by jiggles:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Steve

What, you personally? Now that's what I call a hobby

:D </font>

In a QB that I just played, a grenade killed a Panther. I know that it was a normal grenade b/c the squad that threw it only had normal grenades. It probably simulates the grenade hitting a weak point, such as the engine grating or vision blocks, in a way similar to "penetration at weak point."

P.S. Why do I never see this Graemlin? :cool:

Originally posted by Londoner:

Hand grenades can immobilise a tank. Crews tend to bail real quick thereafter if under fire.

In the QB in question, the tank wasn't even immoblized. The grenade was tossed, it scored a hit on the tank and immediately the Panther was declared knocked out--not even a short period of time in which the Panther was declared immobilzed.

Commissar,

Yeah, I've seen this as well. It happened only one time out of many grenade attacks in a test scenario I made with various type grenades. I assumed the normal grenade hit by the engine or some other vulnerable spot.

The RPG when thrown looks like a big potato masher type grenade with two 'ribbons' at the handle, trailing behind. These ribbons stabilize the grenade like fins on a rocket to insure it hits head-first where the shaped charge can do its work.

I certainly have seen heavy tanks taken out by infantry with only grenades. I played a game where one of my squads ambushed a Tiger and knowcked him out with 3-4 grenades.

I've seen the other side of it to, just this weekend I had a whole smg platoon lobbing grenades and molotovs at an armored car who was pre-occupied in another direction. They never did get him(must have thrown 40 grenades!), but they did manage to make him flee into the los of one of my waiting at guns.

Originally posted by Grisha:

Commissar,

Yeah, I've seen this as well. It happened only one time out of many grenade attacks in a test scenario I made with various type grenades. I assumed the normal grenade hit by the engine or some other vulnerable spot.

The RPG when thrown looks like a big potato masher type grenade with two 'ribbons' at the handle, trailing behind. These ribbons stabilize the grenade like fins on a rocket to insure it hits head-first where the shaped charge can do its work.

This was one amazing hit. Not only did this SMG squad take out a Panther G with one grenade, they did it at night while it rained. That was one hell of a lob. I had to watch it three or four times in disbelief. It was a neat QB all around. I had T34 M43's taking out Panther Gs with frontal turret shots. Of course at 50m, even the old 76mm is gonna have a decent chance of taking out German glamour cats :D

[ December 08, 2002, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Commissar ]