Do people have any idea how to use the Scenario Depot correctly???

Just read a couple reviews of CMBB scenarios.

I was surprised by one reviewer, I must say! They reviewed one scenario, and then said "I haven't tried this multi-player, but am rating it a 5 for PBEM so as not to downgrade this great effort" or words to that effect.

Now, if this person had reason to believe the scenario wasn't adaptable to PBEM play for other reasons, fine but if not, then you just penalized a scenario for no real reason.

I have seen that in other reviews too - if you haven't tried a scenario vs the AI or PBEM, then I should think leaving that rating a 0 (so it doesn't get included in the overall average) would be the thing to do, otherwise you are just dragging your rating down without any justification.

Am I wrong on that?

[ October 07, 2002, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

No, you are correct. If you leave a rating at "0" it is not included in scoring.

I saw that too -- it was my scenario that got dinged.

Oh well, live and learn. Over 180 people have downloaded SL5 - Hill 621 (though only two have reviewed it), so at least people are having fun.

Steve

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Just read a couple reviews of CMBB scenarios.

I was surprised by one reviewer, I must say! They reviewed one scenario, and then said "I haven't tried this multi-player, but am rating it a 5 for PBEM so as not to downgrade this great effort" or words to that effect.

Now, if this person had reason to believe the scenario wasn't adaptable to PBEM play for other reasons, fine but if not, then you just penalized a scenario for no real reason.

I have seen that in other reviews too - if you haven't tried a scenario vs the AI or PBEM, then I should think leaving that rating a 0 (so it doesn't get included in the overall average) would be the thing to do, otherwise you are just dragging your rating down without any justification.

Am I wrong on that?

I was the one who rated PBEM a 5. I hadn’t PBEM the battle and was of the belief a "0" rating would have hurt the overall rating. A middle score with the explanation "That I had not PBEM' the battle was done with the intention of trying to score the scenario fairly. It is a well done battle that I thoroughly enjoyed. It deserves a high rating in my opinion as I am sure anyone who read my review could tell.

“My comments posted at the Depot”

This scenario offers a crisp fight for the Axis player verse the AI from the first turn until the final turn. Constant shifting of defensive positions and reinforcing of strong points. Numerous tactical decisions are needed each turn. Every turn's decisions count as you try to hold back the Russian hordes.

The map has been reproduced faithfully; SL enthusiasts will appreciate this. Those who have done so themselves will realize the time required in doing so.

I have not tried the scenario multi-player. I rated PBEM "5" as not to detract from my overall rating of this well-done effort.

Thanks for the heads up on the way the scoring system works at the depot. My apologies MrSpkr.

[ October 08, 2002, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Abbott ]

Originally posted by Abbott:

I was the one who rated PBEM a 5. I hadn’t PBEM the battle and was of the belief a "0" rating would have hurt the overall rating. A middle score with the explanation "That I had not PBEM' the battle was done with the intention of trying to score the scenario fairly. It is a well done battle that I thoroughly enjoyed It deserves a high rating in my opinion as I am sure anyone who read my review could tell.

“My comments posted at the Depot”

This scenario offers a crisp fight for the Axis player verse the AI from the first turn until the final turn. Constant shifting of defensive positions and reinforcing of strong points. Numerous tactical decisions are needed each turn. Every turn's decisions count as you try to hold back the Russian hordes.

The map has been reproduced faithfully; SL enthusiasts will appreciate this. Those who have done so themselves will realize the time required in doing so.

I have not tried the scenario multi-player. I rated PBEM "5" as not to detract from my overall rating of this well-done effort.

Thanks for the heads up on the way the scoring system works at the depot. My apologies MrSpkr.

Spoken like a Gentleman.

But it's probably not enough.

Cut off the tip of one of your fingers and present it to Grog Dorosh.

Remember that he's in Canada, and send the package labeled 'gift', and declare the value to be under $20, or he'll have to jump through hoops to claim it at Canada Post.

I was on the verge of deleting my post entirely Abbott, since it would be obvious to anyone perusing the depot who I was talking about, and I really have enjoyed your posts and didn't want to offend you - I am glad you took my comments in the spirit intended, though they obviously apply to others as well. I do think the Depot's rating system could use a bit of tweaking, in all honesty, but even a brief precis on the site of some of the major considerations - like the one raised here - would be of help, no doubt.

No offence taken Michael. I am glad for the heads-up on the scoring system. Steve’s effort on the conversion is superb and it deserves a high score. I enjoyed playing the battle several times and its replay ability shines.

I came back with an edit to add a link to the battle we are discussing as a convenience to anyone who may like to try it. It may be found here listed alphabetically under "S", CMBB of course.

[ October 08, 2002, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Abbott ]

Do people have any idea how to use the Scenario Depot correctly???
Imagine my dismay!

As fanatically opposed to censorship or alteration of reviews as I am, I have taken the extreme step of zeroing the PBEM value for this particular review. I felt that in this particular instance the rating was unjust. I am willing to hear from dissenting opinions, however.

At the moment, I am immersed in coding up various aspects of the CMBB-side of The Scenario Depot, including a more robust Authors section. Thus I cast about for someone who would be willing to take upon themselves the task of creating a treatise on the proper usage of The Scenario Depot review system. This document would be made available on-line to all users, either through a PDF, HTML, or other method. This person must be skilled in English (mind you I have 15 years experience as a Senior Technical Writer, so I'll be fairly strict(Yes, I know I should be doing it...only so many hours in the day, don't you know)). Must have other skills, such as use of Acrobat PDF Writer, and HTML skills. Please apply via email.

Originally posted by Abbott:

Thank you for the correction Admiral Keith. I had checked the Depot website and was unable to find your e-mail address to discuss this matter with you. I obtained it just now from your profile on this post for future correspondence.

Yeah, I tried to find the email addy on the site not long ago and was frustrated not to be able to find it. Still settling in to the new digs, perhaps?

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Why not a quick "Enter 0 if question is not applicable" rather than a windy treatise which will do more to dissuade an already minority of users?

Actually a quite brilliant suggestion, one which will be implemented forthwith (or mayhap on the morrow).

Yeah, I tried to find the email addy on the site not long ago and was frustrated not to be able to find it. Still settling in to the new digs, perhaps?
A definite oversight on my part. Truth be known, there is still quite a bit of coding going on behind the scenes, such as the Author's section, plus some skunkworks projects I've got going in my spare picoseconds. I'll make a page with emails of all of the hardworking individuals (Big Dog, Craig, Paul, etc.) who contribute time and effort at the Scenario Depot.

I totally agree, leave it a zero so it doesn't get scored.

I just received my copy yesterday and am looking forward to taking a stroll over to the Scenario Depot.

I actually just got done playing "A Deadly Affair" which was included with the game. Dang that was fun! Now I'm off to mod land ...

-Matt