Mac software rendering request for patch.

I was wondering if the next patch could change the application from switching a Mac to 640x480 when running in "Classic Mode". I used to play CMBO all the time in classic mode inside OSX since I didn't want to have to reboot to play a quick PBEM turn or a really fast AI QB.

CMBO forced your computer into 640x480 when running in software mode and CMBB does too... the problem is that CMBB needs 800x600 to run, tells you it can't run in 640x480 and then quits.

I don't know how many Mac users played with software rendering, but I did all the time. Maybe a poll of Mac users that did this and miss it in CMBB. If I'm the only user that did this, then don't bother wasting the coding time.

I realize the graphics are what drive a lot of people to play CM. But given the choice to play with software rendering WITHOUT having to reboot, I'd take software rendering 9 times out of 10.

Any others?

Charles will have to be the one to comment on this from a technical point of view but as I understand it "software rendering" will always result in a 640x480 screen. The problem with allowing that in CMBB is that none of the graphics (menus and interface screens) will FIT into a 640x480 sized screen since they were designed to run at 800x600 or higher.

You would have a good portion of the right hand side and lower screen obscurerd and could not click the GO button for example.

As we have said for some time now. Mac OS-X is NOT officially supported in CM and that includes Classic Mode.

Madmatt

Thanks for the note Matt. I was hoping software rendering could run at any resolution and that the decision was made to force 640x480 because it would run faster. If it just can't be made to run at 800x600 in software rendering, the too bad for me.

Thanks for the updade. Please let us know if Charles can look into this.

I had a somewhat strange setup in CMBO for a while, but it would allow me to run software at a higher resolution the 640x480. Basically, the monitor resolution was fixed, so CMBO was unable to switch the resolution to 640x480, so it happily played in software at the higher resolution.

I've since upgraded, so I don't know if that would happen with CMBB or not.

If possible, it would be nice if software would just keep the resolution at whatever the desktop is currently set for. Or, at least, starting with the option key down or something would bring up a dialog that would ask whether or not to switch resolutions.

Ben

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Charles will have to be the one to comment on this from a technical point of view but as I understand it "software rendering" will always result in a 640x480 screen. The problem with allowing that in CMBB is that none of the graphics (menus and interface screens) will FIT into a 640x480 sized screen since they were designed to run at 800x600 or higher.

You would have a good portion of the right hand side and lower screen obscurerd and could not click the GO button for example.

As we have said for some time now. Mac OS-X is NOT officially supported in CM and that includes Classic Mode.

Madmatt

Thanks for the comments

The mac issue will increasingly become more problematic. I'm sure I am not the only one here will be forced to use OSX exclusively in within the next 6-8 months. My Mac Powerbook at work will be replaced within the next 6-8 months and I will get a shinny new Powerbook. Well if thats the good news, the bad news is Anything Apple sells after Jan 03 WON'T boot into OS 9 and CMBO and CMBB won't run in OSX or Classic on OSX.

SO My Mac at home is too OLD and crappy to run CMBB and the Powerbook will have to returned (its on lease) and swapped for a new OSX based laptop and then things will get ugly.

yeah yeah, I know I know, that's NOT their problem. They build games and MOST folks use PC's and most "other" folks can still run OS 9 on their Macs. :rolleyes:

OK, But a few of us are posting in this forum saying, Hey! this OSX thing is really going to bite us in the butt soon enough. So I am officially joining that chorus.

I guess the only solution is, of course, to save up and buy a (newer) used OS 9 Mac at some point after all the OSX only units are released. I would guess for me that will mean sometime next summer.

:(

-tom w

[ December 09, 2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Hmm, there might be a way around this issue. Pretty simple really. Add an option for a 640 pixel wide menu. It dont need to be pretty, and it will clearly not have all the information on the real menu, but it should allow for play in software rendering mode.

WWB

Originally posted by karch:

I used to play CMBO all the time in classic mode inside OSX since I didn't want to have to reboot to play a quick PBEM turn or a really fast AI QB.... But given the choice to play with software rendering WITHOUT having to reboot, I'd take software rendering 9 times out of 10.

Are you saying you can actually play CMBB in classic INSIDE of OSX? If so how? I thought this wasn't possibe with standard issue iMacs. I have an iMac G4

I use OSX 10.2.2, when I try to run CMBB it goes thru the scenario selection screen, but then nothing and then it seems to hang.

Whats your secret? We'd all kill for it. Ahh to play without rebooting! The Holy Grail! who cares if it is rendered and 640x480?

[ December 09, 2002, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: jdmorse ]

Add me onto the list. Although it appears impossible, I would truly love to be able to run in software mode under X. I have played CMBB alot less than I used to run CMBO because I have had a fast X capable Mac for the last 2 months.

Originally posted by kmead:

Add me onto the list. Although it appears impossible, I would truly love to be able to run in software mode under X. I have played CMBB alot less than I used to run CMBO because I have had a fast X capable Mac for the last 2 months.

I fear that outcome is in my (near) future as well.

"I have played CMBB alot less than I used to run CMBO because I have a fast X capable Mac"

:confused: :(

-tom w

Are you saying you can actually play CMBB in classic INSIDE of OSX? If so how? I thought this wasn't possibe with standard issue iMacs. I have an iMac G4

I use OSX 10.2.2, when I try to run CMBB it goes thru the scenario selection screen, but then nothing and then it seems to hang.

It's been a while since I last used OSX but I think this works.

1) Theres an option to start classic so that the extension manger opens first.

2) When this loads disable classic rave.

3) Classic will now start and CMBO will now run in software mode.

Hope this works!

Originally posted by Makes The Jelly Judder:

It's been a while since I last used OSX but I think this works.

1) Theres an option to start classic so that the extension manger opens first.

2) When this loads disable classic rave.

3) Classic will now start and CMBO will now run in software mode.

I've successfully run CMBO in software rendering at resolutions up to 1024x768 on my old G3 laptop by using SwitchRes to force resolution selection. I've done it in OS8.6, OS9 and OSX. You lose transparency effects, and some speed, but it works. I'm pretty sure the beta demo of CMBO ran in software mode on my G3-- it was in 1024x768 all the time, and I was surprised when the release version bounced me down to 640x480.

I've tried it with CMBB, but with no success. In some cases it seems to come pretty close to working-- it will draw the screen and then cover everything in white up to the menu bar (leaving the menu bar showing the background terrain). If I switch into and out of CMBB (with the escape key) then sometimes on the redraw I can see the map be drawn properly and then covered over with the white blank. It's much easier to see on my old 300 MHz G3 (sloooow) than with the new 800 MHz G4. Other times it just crashes out of CMBB when it's loading 3D textures.

edit:

I just did a few experiments-

If I use switchres X and remove Classic Rave when I launch Classic, I can sometimes get it to not reset the screen to 640x480, but I get mostly garbage textures once it's in the game (graphics are fine until it loads 3d stuff)

If I leave Classic rave in the system folder, then it loads 3d graphics, displays the screen, and then colors over it in white. I suspect the optimal solution would be if apple implemented the correct version of RAVE in Classic Rave...

[ December 10, 2002, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: chrisl ]

Not to beat a dead horse, but is it certain that you can't have a Mac run at 800x600 in software rendering. using switch-rez you can have it go to 800x600, but it first bounces to 640x480 and then to 800x600 and somehow CMBB sees the 640x480 setting and quits the app. I know i've seen CMBB running at 800x600 in software emulation.

Is Charles positive it can't be done? Here are some things to think about

1) if CMBB didn't check to make sure the machine was running 800x600, using switch-res to go to 800x600 in software mode would work

2) check again to see if CMBB can force 800x600 in software mode instead of 640x480