best Sherman?

Which Sherman is the best one to pick when expecting to come across Panther tanks? Im not worried about infantry at the moment b.c I have infantry and machine guns to take care of them.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smack:

Firefly tanks are best

Jumbo Shermans are good too

Sherman III's are good also<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Among Jumbo Sherms the Jumbo Sherm 76 is a nifty tank in the CMBO battlefield. Not many were made but I once got 3 randomly bestowed to me in a QB and felt pretty invincible. The Firefly has the best AT gun of those mentioned. Sherm 76's have better guns than 75s--sometimes able to penetrate Panther's from the front. But you could just go for a lot of cheap Sherm 75s (e.g. M4, M4A1) and work for flank shots. Unless you've got Jumbos, assume the Panther can penetrate your front with ease and think in terms of flanking and ambush. The toughest nut to crack is a Panther that stands off and swats at you from a distance--his gun's better and more accurate than yours (except maybe the Firefly) and he has better frontal amor (except the Jumbo). As Panthers close to assault, their weak side armor makes them vulnerable even to Sherm 75s and, ultimately, zooks.

Jumbo 76 is the only Sherman that can match Panther on equal terms. Both can penetrate the others turret, but not hull.

That said, a firefly is still a better choise, being cheaper.

But seriously, against a Panther you'd be better off with tank destroyers.

Playing Axis on Elsdorf scenario, i saw my life (ie my armors) ruined by a Sherman Jumbo. It killed my king tiger on a frontal shot :( and turned a full tiger platoon to junk. :mad:

Every shot i tried rebounded on him. I just *hated* him. Hell, the tank commander even ended the battle urinating on my flag...

Damn, i never made exhaustive testings, but i just can tell you that Jumbos are *truly* good tanks...

--

Cafard

It's been a while but I performed a lot of H2H trials with Jumbo 76 v. Panthers, Jgd IV,

and Tigers. I did not test against the JgdPanther, JagdTiger or KT.

The specific numbers I don't recall but I came away with the distinct impression that frontal shot v. frontal shot, the Jumbo was better than any of these at both survivability and penetration. This was a limited test however, and I believe the range was very short... under 200m.

[edit follows] I recall though from battles it seems that the Panther has better accuracy from longer distances [~600 meteres & up].

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Agua ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Agua:

It's been a while but I performed a lot of H2H trials with Jumbo 76 v. Panthers, Jgd IV,

and Tigers. I did not test against the JgdPanther, JagdTiger or KT.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jumbo's armour was downdgraded at one point. Turned out that the armor was blah blah blah Rexford blah hlah blah multipliers blah blah blah. And so it's now less powerful. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Jumbo's armour was downdgraded at one point. Turned out that the armor was blah blah blah Rexford blah hlah blah multipliers blah blah blah. And so it's now less powerful. :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It still pretty powerful when you consider the amount of ammo blah blah blah JasonC blah blah blah firepower blah blah blah.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cafard:

Playing Axis on Elsdorf scenario, i saw my life (ie my armors) ruined by a Sherman Jumbo. It killed my king tiger on a frontal shot :( and turned a full tiger platoon to junk. :mad:

Every shot i tried rebounded on him. I just *hated* him. Hell, the tank commander even ended the battle urinating on my flag...

Damn, i never made exhaustive testings, but i just can tell you that Jumbos are *truly* good tanks...

--

Cafard<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

welcome to the allied tank commander's world tongue.gif

IMHO, i believe what our friend needs most is a quick help on his alled armor tactics...which means smoke, numbers, and maneuvering to the flank. You can easily get 2 regular sherms to his i panther, and as long as u let your infantry flush out the cat, then you can get the drop on him easier. But purely speaking , the firefly is the only sherm that can RELIABLY take out a Panther from the front.

Patton

The Firefly is excellent, but unfortunatly it still dies like any other Sherman except the Jumbo.

At least it can kill just about any German tank from anywhere on the map.

The 76(w) is not bad, It's a good match for Tigers, but not all that against Panthers. The 76mm gun sucks against infantry though.

Gyrene

The M4A3(76)w+ actually has better hull armor than the Jumbo (111mm @ 47 deg. vs. 92mm @ 47 deg.), but the turret armor is the same as the other Shermans. I've seen the computer use these to good effect because they were clumsily moving in the open... the TacAI for my AT guns must have been aiming for the center of mass, because my rounds kept hitting the hull and bouncing off/breaking up. Two turns later, no more AT guns. :(

Seems like it wouldn't be a good idea for a defender in hull-down positions, though, as the hill/wall is hiding the tough part of your armor! I guess if your tank tactics resemble the AI's then it would be a good buy. :rolleyes: