I think I found a couple bugs with pillboxes

I was playing the Hungarians on defense in a QB. The Russians attacked and my pillboxes w/MGs mowed them down in hordes. But, then as soon as the pillboxes ran out of ammo the crews abandoned them and ran out into enemy fire taking casualities for no reason. They would have been much safer staying and fighting from the pillboxes with their small arms rather than abandoning. The crews hadn't taken any casualities until they abandoned. Also, at the end of the game the two pillboxes were listed as destroyed. I think these might be bugs or at the minimum something that needs to be tweaked in the AI for more realism.

[ October 06, 2002, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: StellarRat ]

Why is that "gamey"? They would still have their personal weapons and the enemy might not know they're out of ammo. And it is possible that they might be resupplied after the battle (unless they're surrounded.) A squad with no ammo would still count and the crew of the pillbox was seven men.

Originally posted by Wilhammer:

Perhaps they chose this to keep it from becoming a gamey issue.

I could see a pillbox manned by a crew, out of ammo, hunkered down relatively impervious to enemy fire, at the end game, holding a VP.

That sounds like a legitimate way to hold a VL.

Originally posted by Foxbat:

I sure wouldn't want to stay in the pillbox after the ammo had run out (which in itself implies the pillbox is under attack), that's just suicide.

But the original poster was pointing out that the crews run out into the open under hostile fire, which is even more suicidal.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wilhammer:

Perhaps they chose this to keep it from becoming a gamey issue.

I could see a pillbox manned by a crew, out of ammo, hunkered down relatively impervious to enemy fire, at the end game, holding a VP.

That sounds like a legitimate way to hold a VL.</font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Foxbat:

I sure wouldn't want to stay in the pillbox after the ammo had run out (which in itself implies the pillbox is under attack), that's just suicide.

But the original poster was pointing out that the crews run out into the open under hostile fire, which is even more suicidal.</font>

Look at it this way, the crew has run out of ammunition, there are hordes of Russians advancing on their position. I know what I would do and it wouldn't be hunkering down in the bunker hoping the scenario will end before the Russians get there and eat me.

Originally posted by Speedy:

Look at it this way, the crew has run out of ammunition, there are hordes of Russians advancing on their position. I know what I would do and it wouldn't be hunkering down in the bunker hoping the scenario will end before the Russians get there and eat me.

Well, in this case the Russians were pretty far away and there was plenty of Hungarian infantry around the pillbox that was still capable of defending. Personally, I don't know why anyone would abandon those nice thick concrete walls when they are under small arms fire. In fact, if I was an infantry unit I'd probably try to move into the pillbox and fire from there. Now, if engineers or some type of heavy weapons were closing in/firing then I could see running away when the ammo ran dry (possibly before even smile.gif ). Also, I see no reason why the crew can't continue to fire from the pillbox with their own weapons.

There was a second part to the original post which is that the pillboxes were listed as destroyed, even though they were in an area still controlled by friendly forces. This must be a side effect of the design decision to treat pillboxes as vehicles in the engine. It's definitely not right, but probably something we'll have to live with until the rewrite when WE CAN HOPE PILLBOXES WILL BE MERE FORTIFICATIONS which anyone with the keys to the door can enter, exit, and fight from at wil.

[ October 07, 2002, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

There was a second part to the original post which is that the pillboxes were listed as destroyed, even though they were in an area still controlled by friendly forces. This must be a side effect of the design decision to treat pillboxes as vehicles in the engine. It's definitely not right, but probably something we'll have to live with until the rewrite when WE CAN HOPE PILLBOXES WILL BE MERE FORTIFICATIONS which anyone with the keys to the door can enter, exit, and fight from at wil.

I'll second that, CMplayer. Just like trenches can now be entered / exited by whichever side holds 'em. Good call.

AJ