How long to wait for a file before you can declare victory?

The question is, in a PBEM game how long should you wait for response from an opponant without hearing anything back before you can assume they have surrendered and just sending files?

I have been playing a game and the turns just stopped and I have emailed the person asking if he received my file etc..and have gotten no response. I received no email telling me that real world issues would be putting the game on hold. After close to 2 weeks should I assume they have just quit?

Dear PL,

For this game I threw out my no numbering rule and the turns ARE numbered.

I guess it will be 2 weeks on Tuesday since I sent the file and a week ago Saturday since I resent it in case he never got it.

Love,

Elvis

Elvis,

If this is our game you're talking about I take it you never got to see the "If I haven't replied to something someone sent in the past couple of weeks could you resend cause Outlook Express got corrupted" post here on the forum eh? ;)

Sheesh, Poolers, ALWAYS looking for a cheap bloody victory ;) .

Ps. In 5 hours I go on call and will be at work for about the next 40 hours. On Wednesday there's a formal drugs dinner so the earliest day I'll be home and will have time ( and enough sleep) to sit at the computer and give sensible orders will be Thursday. If that's too long feel free to declare yourself the winner, I don't mind.

P.p.s. If you see someone else bitching about a dropped game would you pass on the same to them? My address book and ALL my emails on this computer are toast.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

Wait till no one uses a machine the game can run on any more. A good rule of thumb would be when today's fast pentium machines are going for 25 bucks at garage sales.

cmplayer makes a good point. Why, I once had a six-month pause between turn 27 - 28 of our 30 turn game.

He won.

(Seriously though it was do to computer problems)

Dear Fionn,

You can't blame a guy for trying.

No, I didn't see your post but at this point I would go to any lenght to score a win. Because you have answered this thread I must go to plan "B" (and as we all know if plan B was as good as plan A it would have been plan A).....Expect my gamey crew rushing VLs in the next file.

Love,

Elvis