Big Battles and tweaking the speed.

I like the big battles like the stalingrad one and have a lot problems between the turns, it took around 5 minutes for the tacai to count.

My sys specs.

Athlon XP 1600+

266 ddr ram

Kyro II GK 64 megs

I droped from FSAA 4 to 2 but this does nothing. Any tweaking ideas??

K_Tiger, the graphics have no impact on the internal calculations. So reducing trees/doodads or switching off AA won't help.

The more units in a battle, and the more complicated calculations CM has to do, the more time your PC needs to compute all this.

You only have two choices: smaller scenarios or a faster PC... smile.gif

[edit: the Stalingrad scenario (if it's the one you mean) is IIRC one of the biggest in CMBB. In the briefing it states you should't even try it without a 1 GHz PC...]

[ September 21, 2002, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Originally posted by K_Tiger:

I like the big battles like the stalingrad one and have a lot problems between the turns, it took around 5 minutes for the tacai to count.

Which Stalingrad battle are you refering to? If it's the one I'm thinking of, i don't think they make a machine fast enough yet

I only have an aging P III 900, but I have 512 megs of RAM in it. Calculations are ok on large maps (haven't tried "huge" yet), so my advice to you would be to plug another stick of RAM or two (personally I consider 512 Megs the minumum for a gaming machine) into that PC of yours before buying a new CPU: It's easier and cheaper and will most likely boost performance tremendously.

I can also recommend a little helper application called "SystemMechanics", a very handy tool to optimize most systems.

Sascha

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by K_Tiger:

Which Stalingrad battle are you refering to? If it's the one I'm thinking of, i don't think they make a machine fast enough yet</font>

Well, I gave orders then took a shower, made coffee, wrote a small essay about agricultural reforms in China and cleaned my bathroom when suddenly the action pahse started...

hehe thats funny...can you get a pic of the whole map...personally i never liked big maps...i cant keep up with the troops

I read an article in the current PC World magazine obout upgrading and they stated that 256 megs of ram appeared to be the optimal amount,adding more did'nt increase the speed any significant amount.In fact the biggest speed increase was from 128 to 256 a 36% increase anything over that was insignificant...and these were top of the line system's

K_Tiger

Another thing that will slow the system down ,

is all the programs running in the background.

The only ones you need to run with Combat mission is explorer and systray the rest you can shut down while you play. Try hitting ctrl-alt-delete to see how many are running.

Unless your running XP.......

bnickb

(WC Fields) once put it:

"I cook with wine, sometimes I add it to the food"

Originally posted by K_Tiger:

Yes, its the "up to the volga" operation, around 9300 points game. Its a miracle to me, why the scenario designer not put the half or more as reinforce...like in other operations.

Well, because the Russians couldn't get reinforcements and the Germans intended a hammer blow, so their units weren't trickled in

Hey KT,

First, as suggested above I believe, have absolutely NOTHING but the game running. Having other crap running at the same time CMBB is running chews up memory resources most definitely and CPU clock cycles more than likely as well, but to much lesser extent.

Next, upgrade priorities should be fast, fast, fast, CPU, the faster the better. More memory can help as well, but I somehow doubt you are maxing out on memory if you already have 256MB and you only have CMBB running. I suppose it's possible though if the scenario / number of units in question in it is huge however.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

K_Tiger, the graphics have no impact on the internal calculations. So reducing trees/doodads or switching off AA won't help.

The more units in a battle, and the more complicated calculations CM has to do, the more time your PC needs to compute all this.

You only have two choices: smaller scenarios or a faster PC... smile.gif

[edit: the Stalingrad scenario (if it's the one you mean) is IIRC one of the biggest in CMBB. In the briefing it states you should't even try it without a 1 GHz PC...]

Actually, there is another option. Turn off sound during the turn calculation. That often dramatically speeds up the calculation.

[Edit] By dramatically, I mean the difference in calculation times is noticeable smile.gif

[ September 21, 2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]