Do I Buy Combat Mission or Wait For Barbarossa?

My, this is a busy place. The real deal must be as good as the demo I downloaded then. Should I buy Combat Mission or wait for Barbarella? I can only afford one. Why is the newer game named after an old Jane Fonda movie? ;)

BTW, Are there any lady strategy gamers here who dabble in wargames? I prefer to do battle with the guys cuz I like to win, but it's always nice to know there is another lady around.

If I order tonight, how long would I have to wait?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hink you can order just yet, so that's nto a problem.

Best to get both of course, but if you truly can only afford 1 get CMBB when it comes out in about 6 weeks and play the CMBO demo to death in the mean time.

The only true answer for a grog is BOTH.

However, if it is only one then you need to ask yourself whether you prefer the Eastern Front or Western Front?

For me, it's the Eastern Front hands down. World War II was lost and won in the East no matter what the History Channel or Stephan Ambrose may say. Also, all the neat toys were on the Eastern Front.

However, if you get CMBO I can guarantee you'll want to get CMBB as well with all the new features it'll have. You'll be kicking yourself in the backside, which is pretty neat trick if you can do it, for not getting CMBB when bastards like myself give full details on what CMBB has and can do.

Save your milk money and get both.

Originally posted by Roxy:

My, this is a busy place. The real deal must be as good as the demo I downloaded then. Should I buy Combat Mission or wait for Barbarella? I can only afford one. Why is the newer game named after an old Jane Fonda movie? ;)

BTW, Are there any lady strategy gamers here who dabble in wargames? I prefer to do battle with the guys cuz I like to win, but it's always nice to know there is another lady around.

If I order tonight, how long would I have to wait?

there a few wymyn around (one even did a game mod for the king tiger)

if you like some east front russian action (and some germans, hungarians, romanians, italians, etc) then cmbb is it. if you like the more familiar west front with its us, poles, french, canadian, brits, and germans then cmbo is the one.

if either one suits your fancy then if you want a more advanced one get cmbb unless you want to play now.

the us postal system is used to deliver so if you are in the continental us you should have the game in a few days to a week. overseas is longer.

Originally posted by sturner:

Oh, and by the way, it's Barbarossa. Named after the German King, Warrior, etc, of the 13th? century, maybe it was the 14th or 15th.

Good ole Red Beard, he really whupped up on those pesky Russians.

Hey, give the <font color="red">chickity-chick-chick-chickyee poo </font>some credit. Just cause she lacks a pair of testacles, doesn't mean she doesn't know her medieval German history or make her incapable of joking about Hanoi Jane.

Come to think of it, a picture of Hanoi Jane in her younger days wearing those Star Trek boots would be a damn sight better than those backwards Rs on the box top...

[ August 05, 2002, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Hey, give the chick some credit. Just cause she lacks a pair of testacles, doesn't mean she doesn't know her medieval German history or make her incapable of joking about Hanoi Jane.

Come to think of it, a picture of Hanoi Jane in her younger days wearing those Star Trek boots would be a damn sight better than those backwards Rs on the box top...

Chick?! Chick?!!

Dorosh, you sad, sorry pillock. You wart. You genetic short-changing of an evolutionary dead-end.

NO ONE who wishes to post in the Peng Challenge Thread will so indulge.

I know you post in humour, but there are limits.

We of the Peng Challenge do not go down this road.

Amend your ways. I am minutes away from posting a topic on you.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Hey, give the chick some credit. Just cause she lacks a pair of testacles, doesn't mean she doesn't know her medieval German history or make her incapable of joking about Hanoi Jane.

Chick?! Chick?!!

Dorosh, you sad, sorry pillock. You wart. You genetic short-changing of an evolutionary dead-end.

NO ONE who wishes to post in the Peng Challenge Thread will so indulge.

I know you post in humour, but there are limits.

We of the Peng Challenge do not go down this road.

Amend your ways. I am minutes away from posting a topic on you.</font>

Welcome Roxy!! And yes, the full game is at least as good as the demo would have you believe.

We're all going a little crazy around here waiting for CMBB, so pardon us if we're a little half-cocked at the moment.

To answer your first question: Even if you are just a casual wargamer, I don't think you'll regret buying CMBO now, even though you'll probably only have it a month or so before CMBB comes out. From the looks of things, CMBB will be a huge improvement over CMBO across the board, but that doesn't mean that the original will suddenly stop being a very good game at the release of its successor. Personally, I imagine I'll still fire it up now and then as I have always been very interested in the history of the ground war in Western Europe, even though it doesn't have the sweeping scope of the a trans-galaxy sci-fi epic. ;) I get a little patriotic twinge every time my GIs defeat the evil Nazi scourge. (As you might guess from my sig, I am an American). OTOH, the thigh-high boots and psychedelic visual effects are bound to make CMBB a feast for the eyes, and once we all get spoiled on the new features, it will be hard to go back.

With this said, one might speculate that the price of CMBO will drop after the release of CMBB, so if you feel like you can wait 8 weeks to jump in, it might make economic sense to wait even if you do plan on purchasing both games. This is pure speculation on my part, though. I have no firsthand knowledge of Battlefront's pricing plans. I suppose it depends on how much money you have to throw around. . .

Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Now of course no TRUE CessPooler would dream of treating a lady in so cavalier a manner Seanachai, you've the right of that.

However ... does not something seem ... odd about this one? Am I the only suspicious one around here?

Joe

Dunno, Joe. I mean, there's no email address, so there's no good way to check if this 'Roxy' is one of the Fair Ones or not, or just some useless git having another go at the Forum folk.

And Dorosh's actions are highly suspect, even though he's an annoying, brainless little Canadian halfwit, and mustering up any kind of ploy is almost beyond him...

So, it could go either way. This could be a for real thread, or some sort of bait thread.

All I know is, Grog Dorosh is giving me the red-arse, and I feel Real Lifeâ„¢ is giving me a bit of leeway, lately, and I might need to do a Topic on him...

(edited to abuse Dorosh is a less restrained manner)

[ August 05, 2002, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Now, now, Commissar, it was a team effort all around. Ask any Russian trucker who ever drove a GMC or had to eat K rations. ;) Though Stephen Ambrose might not admit to it, you and I know better.

I admit, the US did it's share. The SPAM was a nice addition to Russian rations. :D

But seriously, the East is just so much more interesting. The so called great battles in the West are boy scout picnics compared to the battles and campaigns in the East.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

All I know is, Grog Dorosh is giving me the red-arse, and I feel Real Lifeâ„¢ is giving me a bit of leeway, lately, and I might need to do a Topic on him...

(edited to abuse Dorosh is a less restrained manner)

Now that is amusing.

We all know that Grog Dorosh is our own little Rainman. Ask him anything you want about armour. But stay away totally from the topic of amour.

For in this case, it becomes apparent that outside his small world of expertise, he rode the short bus to school. Yes like other idiot savants, he can recite the full names, addresses and phone numbers of all the Lewis's that inhabit Pittsburgh, PA, and he could even recount the air speeds, both laden and unladen, of all the families of swallows in the world (Kingdom: Animalia, Phylum: Chordata, Class: Aves, Order: Passeriformes, Family: Hirundinidae, Genus: Tachycineta. Yes, I had to look it up). Yes he can recount these, as well as all the favourite colours of all those Lewis's previously mentioned.

But where the fairer sex is involved, he trips, and stumbles, and elicits such a cacaphony of virtual pratfalls as to render typing coherent sentences impossible. Just remember your fifth grade lessons Big D: "Where the ladies are concerned, 'tis better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open that mouth and be proven one".

[ August 06, 2002, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Herr Oberst ]

Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

But where the fairer sex is involved, he trips, and stumbles, and elicits such a cacaphony of virtual pratfalls as to render typing coherent sentences impossible. Just remember your fifth grade lessons Big D: "Where the ladies are concerned, 'tis better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open that mouth and be proven one".

A lovely indictment of Grog Dorosh.

Where's my turn, you sodding pillock?!

Now listen Roxy. Don't go getting cheap on us. You know you want it. It's gnawing at ya. Eatin away at ya, wondering what your missing. Watching ever one else on the forum having fun and relating all sorts of hero stories. You pass CMBO and wait on CMBB, you'll have a monkey on yer back for several months to come. (Takes a little while to get it you know, their only in the planning stages for the hand delivery option). :D

My two cents:

Wait 6 weeks for CMBB. Buy it, love it, ask it to marry you. Then go back and buy CMBO as I belive BTS will drop the price once CMBB is out a month or so. Once you recive CMBO in the mail, take it out and shower it with mods. CMBB might get jealous at first, but when you offer to have a CM threesome with you, CMBO, and CMBB, they will not be able to say no.

Besides, the eastern front KICKS ARSE!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

[ August 06, 2002, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

Well, this is really sweet. I knew I would get some attention if I revealed my gender, but this is better than I expected. I must admit I don't understand half of what some of you are talking about however.

I think I'll stick with my nice free demo, and buy the Barbarella (sounds better than Barbarossa)thing when it comes out.

I guess I should say a little about myself since you boys have been kind enough to answer my questions.

I'm a 31 year old divorcee, hoping to get my Bachelor's Degree next June. My brother and my ex got me interested in wargames. I played oodles of Steel Panthers games with them. I just took a liking to the strategy involved. I like to play chess too, so maybe there's a connection there. Another reason I like wargames is because it's something guys do that I think I'm fairly good at. I'd rather beat men at their wargames and get treated like a queen just for playing than go shopping with the girls. I do like to shop though. Every girl does.

Now to some of the comments posted above. I'm not some sort of joke somebody is playing on you boys. I can understand how that thought would occur to you though. Not many of my gender play wargames, but I know there are a few. I'll be seeking out Persephone soon to get the lowdown on you boys. ;)

Somebody asked about my email address. I will make that public soon enough, when I feel comfortable here.

Michael Dorosh can't spell 'testicles' correctly. There is more I would like to say to him, but it would be against the rules I just read to do so. I thank the rest of you for being gentlemen and scolding him. I am a lady, not a chickadeewhatever. I conduct myself as a lady would, and I expect to be treated like a lady. Being a lady has some real advantages. Gloria Steinem is a misguided foolish woman.

Because of his ungentlemanly comments and attitude, Michael Dorosh will be my first human victim with the Combat Mission demo. That is, if he's man enough to take on a lady. smile.gif I will play the Allies because Ike was better looking than Adolph. How about it Mr. Dorosh? Post here if you have a pair. I know you can't spell it, but you do have a couple don't you? smile.gif

Of course Roxy is a true member of the Fair Sex.

You only had to check the list of Interests posted in her profile - "Myself" ............lol.

Who else but a girly would be so honest about it.... :D

Len

PS: I hope she leaves Dorosh SOME of his dignity

(not to mention other important bits)

Originally posted by Roxy:

Well, this is really sweet. I knew I would get some attention if I revealed my gender, but this is better than I expected.

And you didn't have to cop a puppy dog look and say a long drawn out "please" either. ;)

I must admit I don't understand half of what some of you are talking about however.
That could indeed be true of the majority of the forum members not currently on medication. :D Poll anyone? I must absent myself from it though. tongue.gif

Somebody asked about my email address. I will make that public soon enough, when I feel comfortable here.
:rolleyes:

Because of his ungentlemanly comments and attitude, Michael Dorosh will be my first human victim with the Combat Mission demo. That is, if he's man enough to take on a lady. smile.gif I will play the Allies because Ike was better looking than Adolph. How about it Mr. Dorosh? Post here if you have a pair. I know you can't spell it, but you do have a couple don't you? smile.gif
Have we just witnessed the birth of the Roxy Challenge Thread ? :cool:

[ August 06, 2002, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: Shosties4th ]