49 to go

I seem to recall an old Star Trek episode, where one of the crew (Sulu?) is counting down to their supposed destruction. One crewmember makes a comment to the effect that the counter seems to have a fascination with counting. "The Carborundum Manouver" is the title, I think.

Gryrene, you sir, have a morbid fascination with this 8000 thing. A very strange childhood memory, perhaps?

Originally posted by R_Leete:

I seem to recall an old Star Trek episode, where one of the crew (Sulu?) is counting down to their supposed destruction. One crewmember makes a comment to the effect that the counter seems to have a fascination with counting. "The Carborundum Manouver" is the title, I think.

Gryrene, you sir, have a morbid fascination with this 8000 thing. A very strange childhood memory, perhaps?

The Corbomite Maneuver is the title.

Originally posted by R_Leete:

It's a nice round number. :D

I'm really looking forward to 10000

D-roach: The Finnish word you are looking for is cannukiiböollokkii

Gyrene

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

[QB(well, not 1 to 1 scale, anyway). Any idea how embarrassing it is to have UPS phone your house, and some girl with a southern US accent (which automatically makes you assume she's a hottie) asks if you can confirm delivery of "Item 9434800323 Star Trek Plastic Doll"....??

You pretty much fight the urge to say "it's an action figure and a collector's item" and just concentrate on ending the whole ordeal as quickly as possible with a "yup" followed by hanging up the phone...[/QB]

...in classic Comic-Book Store Guy voice from the Simpsons "Please, this is an extremely rare collectable, not a childrens toy."

Heh - this thread reminds me of a hidden camera comedy TV show over here called 'Trigger Happy TV'.

One setup involved a businessman who had furtively ducked into a Sex Shop. While he was in the TV presenter and crew rushed outside the door with a huge banner proclaiming 'Congratulations To Our 10,000th Sex Shop Customer'. Musicians, glamour models and a guy with a loud hailer/megaphone were all stood around the door when the businessman came back out.

They gave him a rousing cheer, attempted to present him with a huge bottle of champaigne and interview him in front of the cameras while the band played. For some reason the guy looked like he'd just died for a few seconds then ran away.

So my ramble comes to this - what are we going to do to make a big fuss of Mr 8,000 (at any moment now). Suggestions please...

Originally posted by Lord General MB:

I reccomend shouting loudly at his first post, and telling him off.

Hmm. He hasn't started posting yet. I hope he's not a lurker - that would be kind of a waste :(

Come on Lyonel - say something! Witty would be good. Groggy would be great. Just please don't ask about running HMGs, or why your Tiger got smoked by a Sherman ;)

Regards

JonS