Doodads, get your red hot Doodads right here!

I've got questions concerning doodads.

1.) Tall Steppe grass, does it provide extra concealment for troops?

2.) Headstones and wooden fences and such, do they provide cover and concealment?

Just a few wonderments going through my head at the moment.

Ohh by the way, I forget, do vehicles which have multiple MGs such as in the hull front/Back and in the turret have seperate firing abilities or are they all inclusive? Just wondering cause I notived one of my PzIVs firing the turret MG quite a bit and the bow MG haredly at all even with Inf right in front of him.

"Edited to ask MG question"

[ September 17, 2002, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Clinton ]

From the "Changes Since CMBO" page on Battlefront.com:

Some terrain has visual "doodads" for "height", e.g. grass, brush, rubble. These have no implications on the game engine but are for visual depth only (i.e. the terrain modifiers do not change by presence of doodads)

Originally posted by legend42:

Steppe is not a "doodad" and it should be hard to spot enemy hiding in steppe as opposed to open ground I hope.

That would depend on the time of year, I would think. As early as September, the steppe would not hide anyone very well as it would be too short --

kyzydist.jpg.

Steve

From what I understand the doodads themselves can't be used for concealment so don't go hiding behind individual tombstones (especially considering you can alter the amount of visible doodads in the pop-up menu).

But I've never heard an official pronouncement(or even a casual discussion) about the level of concealment attributed to the new doodad terrain squares. After all trees are doodads, and though you can't hide behind individual trees the tile does affect visibility, mobility, etc ,etc ,etc. In the demo the AT-guns sitting out there in the middle of the steppe aren't all that easy to spot! Someone should do a test to see if their infantry is less vulnerable or less visible on a graveyard tile than in the open.

[ September 17, 2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by legend42:

Steppe is not a "doodad" and it should be hard to spot enemy hiding in steppe as opposed to open ground I hope.

That would depend on the time of year, I would think. As early as September, the steppe would not hide anyone very well as it would be too short --

Steve</font>

Folks, doodads are eyecandy, nothing more. Nothing that you see on the screen effects the computer's spotting ability.

If your unit is in a steppe square, its partially concealed by tall grass. If you turn doodads on, sprites of tall grass will appear in that steppe square, but the concealment of that unit has not changed.

Remember that what you see on the screen on CM is only an aproximation of the action, its not like Close Combat. So, when a unit is in tall pines, it gets a, say, 75% concealment bonus whether or not you have trees turned on or off.

Doodads are just trees for the ground, thats all. They are not a terrain in themselves.