Paratroopers in action??

Just wondering if the folks at BFC could put a code in so you could pick drop spots for your airborne units but then have a randomizer so that they MIGHT NOT end up where they are supposed to be kinda like what happened in normandy, that would really put the fritz on your plans if all of a sudden you had 2 companies behind you when you think you are closing in for the kill

Originally posted by Dandelion:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Flammenwerfer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives:

Paras don't drop into a tactical battle. If they do, they die.

Horribly and in short order.

Are you sure about that.? What about Eben Emael. smile.gif </font>

The original post is a "I wish CM had" or "In CMx2" sort of post.

We can continue however discussing ways to simulate para drops in CM.

Starting the battle with the company CO and 1 platoon on the ground, and 2 platoon COs and 6 squads arriving as 8 reinforcements over 2-3 turns in an open field works good for me.

Add the random chance of arrival and ....

With 20 reinforcement slots you could perhaps spread out what could amount to at least a company of paratroopers to "drop" at random times at what might appear in the game to be random locations. Maybe pre-set them to at least "panicked" to represent their state of unreadiness.

just a thought

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about random times. Seems like most of the paradrops I've seen that could be compassed by the length of a CM game, everybody would be on the ground within a minute or two of each other. Don't know about gliders; they might take a little longer for all to get down, but they shouldn't be as scattered perhaps.

Michael

Originally posted by Flammenwerfer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dandelion:

Landing paratroopers, of all nations I should think, would by default walk the stick. The guy jumping last would head in the direction of the flight and the stick/squad would recollect by the guy who dropped first. The whole movement would be repeated in higher units until collected in companies and battallions. This movement, the forward surge, was apparently characteristic and German anti-paradrop tactics were based on the pattern. If you engaged the "front" of a drop, the paras would have time to collect themselves and grow increasingly stronger. Which was bad. If you were not a paratrooper.

Of course, in a totally bungled jump not all men would be caught in the surge.

But all in all, wouldn't even arriving parachuteborne paras come in bunches, and mainly from one general direction? Unless actually landing on top of the defenders, in which case I agree entirely with the abover speaker, in that they generally tended to die to a man.

Cheerio

Dandelion

But all in all, wouldn't even arriving parachuteborne paras come in bunches...?

That was my point. Even in the case of a battalion jump (which would be a large one by CM standards) I would not expect the time between the first guy hitting the ground and the last guy to exceed two minutes, i.e., two game turns. This would be the norm. If you want to depict a situation that has become totally fubar, then of course the sky's the limit.

;)

Michael