ROW scenario question

David Chapuis,

I highly recommend jwxspoon's Squeezing the Melon (CMAK). Against Ace Pilot, it went right down to the wire and could very easily have gone the other way. I had the Americans. The version now available has been reworked for balance, since in ROW it was all about performance playing a given side, in a given battle, vs. your peers playing the same position. Am not sure where to find the scenario, though.

Richie's Tiger Valley (CMAK) received great acclaim, too, and is being actively played now by a bunch of people, including me for the first time. My current foe has had the British twice, the Germans once, and is playing as the Germans now against both someone else and me.

http://www.the-scenario-depot.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=7

Across Moltke Bridge, also by Richie, was a big hit on the CMBB side of the equation and made for fantastic AAR reading.

http://www.the-scenario-depot.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=77

I have seen an analysis of scenario balance, maybe at TPG II, but am not really sure where. It was based on frequency of play and the degree of balance in the outcomes, with swing factored in.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ February 16, 2007, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Hmmm, well balanced...

ROW IV

South of Vevi - Axis 45.83 / Allied - 57.17

Things go bump in the night - 52.2 / 47.8

Squeezing the Melon - 37.43 / 62.57

Firefight '40 - 69.70 / 30.30

Retreat from Metemma - 45.49 / 54.51

Methode Champenois - 57.89 / 42.11

The other two finals scenarios are no longer available

ROW V

Across Moltke Bridge - 56.39 / 43.61

St. Edward's - 51.42 / 48.58

Highlanders in Hell - 50.03 / 49.97

Push to Maleme - 31.73 / 68.27

Wet Triangle - 30.03 / 69.97

St. Nazaire - 58.63 / 41.38

Tiger Valley - 50.50 / 49.50

Loaded for Bear is no longer available

Any particular theme / theater / conflict you are interested in?

Richie designed Tiger Valley, Methode Champenois, St. Edwards, Across Moltke bridge and is also the custodian for St. Nazaire.

Nidan1 designed Highlanders in Hell.

I designed South of Vevi and Push to Maleme. The remaining scenarios were designed by people who no longer frequent these boards, so that makes me the de facto custodian of their scenarios.

For the ones deisgned by Richie and Nidan1 I would suggest first looking in The Scenario Depot II. If you can't find it there, or want one of the others, then contact the designers directly. That way you are assured to get the most updated version.

A bit of advice - don't waste them against the AI. Find a good, reliable opponent and have at it.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I'm still intending to do a "ROW IV scenario pack", and a "ROW V scenario pack at some stage.

I don't have all the scenarios, nearly all for ROW V, but there'll be a couple missing from ROW IV.

I never got everyones permission to release their work either, which makes me hesitant about the project.

Kingfish, do you have 'Push to Maleme', beyond the playtest version? This is a good prompt to get on with that project.

John, interestingly enough I'm playing Tiger Valley myself against one other individual who played it in the ROW tourney. He also played the Allies and is playing another person alongside our game...

I am not playing someone who has played it before but I did play it in RoW and have two on going games. One day I might actually be the Germans!

Highlanders in Hell is a very good game and seems to play smaller than Tiger Valley [thats because it is] but does come equipped with options like TV.

Remember Band of Brothers is your friend ....

Originally posted by David Chapuis:

AI? What's that?

AI stands for Artifical intelligence, or as some might say artifical idiot. It's just a fancy way of saying the computer.

Richie, I'll fire up my old PC to get the old ROW IV and V scenarios. I haven't tweaked 'Push', so if you happen to have a copy use that for the Pack.

Whatever happenned to that classic battle set in the desert where it starts at about turn 5 with the Germans in convoy penetrating a British encampment? That was a very clever design with good to and fro battles all over the map.

I highly recommend it if anyone is interested and it can be found but I seem to recall it has to be played against a human opponent due to the way the battle is set up with the convoy already in train.

Regards

Jim R.

Jim,

That was 'Wolf in Sheeps Clothing'.

While I have some PBEM turns from it, I don't have the password, the initial file and nor does Kingfish, who designed it.

Kawaiku, all I can say is, ALL these scenarios were designed for H2H play, some of the magic will be lost and squandered by the AI...

I'm suprised Battlefront didn't sponsor this sort of tournament and made it a yearly event. All they would have needed to provide was a bit of web space to hold the results and some prizes in the form of a few games and such. They would have got plenty of volunteers to do all the donkey work. I'm sure a tournament called the "Combat Mission" World Championship would have generated an article or two in the gaming press for a bit of free publicity.

Originally posted by SteveS:

I'm suprised Battlefront didn't sponsor this sort of tournament and made it a yearly event. All they would have needed to provide was a bit of web space to hold the results and some prizes in the form of a few games and such. They would have got plenty of volunteers to do all the donkey work. I'm sure a tournament called the "Combat Mission" World Championship would have generated an article or two in the gaming press for a bit of free publicity.

I agree completely, maybe we will see something like this for future games(CMSF). I don't see why not, as long as they don't have to do the legwork. They'd be far too busy to worry about the small details. The possibility of free publicity would equal more sales too, usually anyway. Especially tournament talk, it always generates interest in a game.

kawaiku,

It stands for Wild Bill Wilder's Rumblings of War.

Wild Bill and his team did the scenarios, Treeburst155 ran it, and and WineCape sponsored it (provided fine wine for prizes). Here's the announcement thread.

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=020680#000000

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=021599#000000

AAR discussion as it unfolded here in my post.

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=003745;p=2

Regards,

John Kettler

[ February 20, 2007, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

kawaiku,

The next and sadly, the last with WineCape sponsorship will be held when Combat Missions: Campaigns finally makes it out of dev. This one will use CMC to generate the actual tactical engagements. Details are in this thread. As you can see, there HAS been some release date slippage!

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=53;t=000199

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Richie:

I'm still intending to do a "ROW IV scenario pack", and a "ROW V scenario pack at some stage.

Anybody know if this ever happen? I've been trying to track down all the ROW scenarios for CMBB/AK. Found some over at SDII and PG.