Inspired by the topic "Greatest Submachine gun of WWII"

Hans

Originally posted by GoofyStance:

Definitely not Firestone Radial ATX's ... yes, I know radials weren't available till the late 60s tongue.gif

Eh? Michelin was making them at least as far back as the '50s. I helped my brother rotate a set of them on his Porsche in '58 and they weren't exactly the latest thing then.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Eh? Michelin was making them at least as far back as the '50s. I helped my brother rotate a set of them on his Porsche in '58 and they weren't exactly the latest thing then.

Michael

You're right, I should've thought of Michelin. Their first radial tire design was patented in 1946 redface.gif and their first radial tire marketed in Europe in 1948. So what kind of Porsche did your brother have (or still have)? A 356A, B, C - or a 550 Spyder :eek:

Originally posted by GoofyStance:

So what kind of Porsche did your brother have (or still have)? A 356A, B, C - or a 550 Spyder :eek:

A 1600 Speedster. We drove down to Sebring in it in 1958. That week spoiled me forever. The town was crawling with exotic cars. A Ferrari on nearly every corner. Phil Hill's antique Packard. I even saw a Tucker Torpedo!

Ah, the memories...

:D

Michael

[A 1600 Speedster. We drove down to Sebring in it in 1958. That week spoiled me forever. The town was crawling with exotic cars. A Ferrari on nearly every corner. Phil Hill's antique Packard. I even saw a Tucker Torpedo!

Ah, the memories...

Michael

Yet, if I asked you what you did 3 days ago you'd probably draw a blank. Ahhh, the foibles of old age. ;)

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

[A 1600 Speedster. We drove down to Sebring in it in 1958. That week spoiled me forever. The town was crawling with exotic cars. A Ferrari on nearly every corner. Phil Hill's antique Packard. I even saw a Tucker Torpedo!

Ah, the memories...

Michael

Yet, if I asked you what you did 3 days ago you'd probably draw a blank. Ahhh, the foibles of old age. ;) </font>

Depends, are we talkin' baboons or ruling class elite Baboons who know Jane Goodall?

Tires did you say tires?

Did you know that the Italians in East Africa were critically short of rubber tires so they use to nail baboons to the tire rims?

I believe the screams from the baboons as the vehicles moved were unbelievable (similar I'm told to the sound when Charles accidently deleted the only copy of the coding for the never released, CMMG, Combat Mission Mother Goose) and it only got worse when the guy with the air hose showed up.

I still can't believe the Grogs on this board, who by far are more of an expert than me, still haven't announced the correct answer to "What is the Greatest Tire of WWII."

Obviously, it is whatever the Finnish troops used.

Next to that, whatever Ninjas decide to use, should they ever need one.

Originally posted by Warmaker:

I still can't believe the Grogs on this board, who by far are more of an expert than me, still haven't announced the correct answer to "What is the Greatest Tire of WWII."

Obviously, it is whatever the Finnish troops used.

Why, you should learn to read all posts:

Earlier posted by Sergei:

Definately the Nokian Hakkapeliitta. :D

And yes, Nokian Tyres was originally part of the same concern whiches one division switched from copper cables to cell phones.

But how many non-Finns here can tell without googling what 'Hakkapeliitta' means? (Hint: it has to do with war history...)

A 1600 Speedster. We drove down to Sebring in it in 1958. That week spoiled me forever. The town was crawling with exotic cars. A Ferrari on nearly every corner. Phil Hill's antique Packard. I even saw a Tucker Torpedo!

Ah, the memories...

Michael

Sounds like a wonderful time at General LeMay's brainchild track. I've never been there, but I heard all about the exotic gatherings that took place in the 50s and 60s. Myself, I vividly remember my dad taking me in his Porsche 356B D'Ieteren Roadster to Mid-Ohio in the mid-70s to see an IMSA race. I can still recall the full-boogie 935's downshifting at Turn 6 with the 3-foot-long flames being spit out their tailpipes.

Three days ago? I worked, then pumped iron, then watched TV while I worked on a Photoshop project. So there's hope for me yet ;)