BFC should release only 2 scenarios on the full version and 1 a month after

Well, not really, but...

I think it is quite neat that we are all talking about the same two scenarios. There were so many CMBB (and CMBO scenarios) that only one or two (I think Gefechtsauflarung comes to mine) seemed to get discussed en masse.

Just noticing a trend. Once the full version comes out with dozens of scenarios, and the inevitable onslaught from the masses of the talented, our shared experiences will start to diminish.... :(

Someone once said that in the "golden age" of wargaming, you would get one or two boxed boardgame releases a year, and everyone would talk about them, submit articles to the one or two magazines in existence catering to the hobby - but by the 1980s, there were dozens of publishing companies and hundreds of titles and no one seemed to be playing the same things. They found the situation lamentable....

[ November 21, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Maybe once a month would be better?

I like the idea of playing the CD scenarios - maybe in chronological order? That way we can give feedback directly to the developers via the Scenario Depot as well as our AARs and discussion on the forum.

Alternately, you could give everyone in the "club" the first weekend of each month to submit ideas for scenarios they want to play here on the forum. Then on Monday you list all the nominees and have a vote; top vote is the scenario you play that week/month.

Could be a lot of fun. I'd shy away from weekly simply because the object would be to get everyone talking about the same scenario and hopefully providing good feedback to the designers, as well as other players who haven't tried the scenario in question yet (if they don't mind all the spoilers, that is!)

Unless you make it a TCP "club", say one scenario every Saturday or Sunday...

[ November 21, 2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Once a month is too infrequent - 12 scenarios a year? Once a week perhaps too often - so perhaps once a fortnight? That would give enough time for people to play out their games on TCP/IP without being too rushed and you might even get some PBEM's done in that time.

The trouble is, I suppose, that if people are playing PBEM then games can take longer to finish. If, for example, you played MasterGoodale then you might be looking at a 'once every 9 months' scenario thread. :mad:

Originally posted by Axe2121:

That is a great idea! I'm up for it.

I'm sure I could talk some of the Cheery Waffle reprobabtes into it to.

Well, if the Goodalers are doing it, certainly the Peng Challenge Thread would try to get some of our lads to participate, as we are not letting those swine steal a march on us.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Maybe once a month would be better . . . maybe in chronological order . . . Alternately, you could give . . . on Monday you . . . vote . . . you play that week/month . . . Could be . . . I'd shy away . . . get everyone talking . . . hopefully providing . . . as well as . . . (if they don't mind . . . that is!)

Unless . . . say . . . every Saturday or Sunday...

Leave it to a Canuckian reservist male medical desk jockey to make everything so complicated.

Seanachai, have you stopped taking your meds again? Or did you take them all at once this time?

Not that I am opposed to this idea, but really -- acting as though we care what those weirdos on that other thread do or say?

Sigh. The Inquisitor General's work is never finished. And I had just dealt with Boo's dalliances. . .

Steve

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Axe2121:

That is a great idea! I'm up for it.

I'm sure I could talk some of the Cheery Waffle reprobabtes into it to.

Well, if the Goodalers are doing it, certainly the Peng Challenge Thread would try to get some of our lads to participate, as we are not letting those swine steal a march on us. </font>

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Maybe once a month would be better . . . maybe in chronological order . . . Alternately, you could give . . . on Monday you . . . vote . . . you play that week/month . . . Could be . . . I'd shy away . . . get everyone talking . . . hopefully providing . . . as well as . . . (if they don't mind . . . that is!)

Unless . . . say . . . every Saturday or Sunday...

Leave it to a Canuckian reservist male medical desk jockey to make everything so complicated.

Seanachai, have you stopped taking your meds again? Or did you take them all at once this time?

Not that I am opposed to this idea, but really -- acting as though we care what those weirdos on that other thread do or say?

Sigh. The Inquisitor General's work is never finished. And I had just dealt with Boo's dalliances. . .

Steve </font>

Originally posted by Shep:

Every two weeks feels about right.

How about: AARs... Analysis... Overall W-L record for Axis/Allies...

Shall we put the thread here or in the scenarios section?

Start with Fruhlingswind right away as a pilot?

The only thing I would be concerned about was that it turned into a "ladder"; rereading your comment, you want to post a W-L record for Axis/Allies, which is terrific and a good way to declare "balance". (ie not W-L records for players - I think that would naturally come out in conversation but not necessarily need be documented, kind of beside the point, really)

Biweekly is a good idea, too.

Whaddya want to call it? "Shep's Scenario of the Week"? smile.gif

I started Fruhlingswind but my opponent is about 7 hours time difference; the Italian scenario I am about halfway done, though.

I'd be willing to dedicate some of my webspace for a page where one could check the stats - ie which scenario, when play starts, when play ends, W-L record, and links to the forum threads discussing each in detail, links to the Scenario Depot page for each scenario....

Jussi, I should imagine the fun about this would be you can participate when you can; not being a ladder, anyone could jump in occasionally, all the time, or infrequently.

Would the idea be to find your own opponent, or would we have a pool every two weeks with opponents assigned randomly?

Or for that matter, why exclude vs. AI play; some guys prefer that - less time consuming also.

[ November 21, 2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Soddball:

You're just jealous because we cut a more dashing and sophisticated figure on the forums. Leave your Cesspuddlicans, Seanachai. Leave them wallowing in their own sebaceous glands. Come to the safety of the Goodale threads. Come.

Have you lost those last couple of brain cells? Maybe it was the sun in Corfu, or the nights of wild passion with the Greek women who made Zorba look feminine. Whatever the reason, stop a minute and consider the can of worms you are opening here.

Having YK2 visit Cheery Waffle land sometimes is pleasant, as she is the pinnacle of good taste (except for that Nicholas Cage thing). It's no surprise she was made queen of the PENGuins; she towers over them in all ways. :D

Rune's visits were tolerable because he was harrassing Axe, which is always a fine idea, and generally a good thing. :D

If you convince Seanachai to relocate, think of the flotsam and jetsam of humanity who could follow. People from Ohio, for example. Creatures from the wilds of Minnesota. <big>Australians</big>, for God's sake. :eek:

Please take this back, Soddball. Decency (look it up in the dictionary) demands it. tongue.gif:D

Whaddya want to call it? "Shep's Scenario of the Week"?
I'm willing to share the billing. You started the thread, which gave me the idea. Or just "Scenario of the Week."

Shall we put the thread here, where it will be read by all? Or relegate it to the relative anonymity of the scenario thread? My opinion is here, as long as that's okay with the forum meister.

Originally posted by Dave H:

Have you lost those last couple of brain cells? Maybe it was the sun in Corfu, or the nights of wild passion with the Greek women who made Zorba look feminine. Whatever the reason, stop a minute and consider the can of worms you are opening here.

Having YK2 visit Cheery Waffle land sometimes is pleasant, as she is the pinnacle of good taste (except for that Nicholas Cage thing). It's no surprise she was made queen of the PENGuins; she towers over them in all ways. :D

Rune's visits were tolerable because he was harrassing Axe, which is always a fine idea, and generally a good thing. :D

If you convince Seanachai to relocate, think of the flotsam and jetsam of humanity who could follow. People from Ohio, for example. Creatures from the wilds of Minnesota. <big>Australians</big>, for God's sake. :eek:

Please take this back, Soddball. Decency (look it up in the dictionary) demands it. tongue.gif:D

Oh, don't worry. I just want to see the schisms and warfare in the Peng thread. :D There's no way Seanypoos would ever raise himself to our standards and the weeks of arguments the Penguins would go through over this kind of thing have to be seen to be beleived.

Originally posted by Shep:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Whaddya want to call it? "Shep's Scenario of the Week"?

I'm willing to share the billing. You started the thread, which gave me the idea. Or just "Scenario of the Week."

Shall we put the thread here, where it will be read by all? Or relegate it to the relative anonymity of the scenario thread? My opinion is here, as long as that's okay with the forum meister. </font>

Originally posted by Soddball:

Leave your Cesspuddlicans, Seanachai. Leave them wallowing in their own sebaceous glands. Come to the safety of the Goodale threads. Come.

I...I...by God, Soddball, you shan't mesmerize me, you monster!

Although after MrSpkr's unkind remark...I suppose there could be greener pastures out there...

And Pestilence? Don't make me comer over there, laddie.