The point of half-tracks ?

First, US halftracks are GREAT in all CM versions because the .50 gun is a wonderful weapon.

Sixth, I've got a book on US halftracks that says a big benefit in producing them quickly was the ability to use proven standard civilian truck parts. As the US started its war build-up late, that was a big factor in producing AFV's quickly. They stopped building them when full tracked AFV production picked up in 1943, I believe.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Real life was like in the game. Either nothing from multiple penetrations or KABOOM (the troop seat-backs were actually the vehicle gas tanks)!

The BMP was the same way. Only in it the back doors and the seat backs were fuel tanks. That had to make the guys feel real secure.

Panther Commander

quote:

The BMP was the same way. Only in it the back doors and the seat backs were fuel tanks. That had to make the guys feel real secure.

Panther Commander

To make the inf feel secure u say ? they made them exit by climbing out the TOP hatches TOP of the bmp, safety for who and what agin please.

Imagins all those targets, yum yum.

Apparently, the fuel contained in the tanks is a good radiation absorber, which is great when you're doing what the BMP was designed for - supporting an armoured breakthrough across a nuclear scarred battlefield with your troops fighting mounted.

However, when you're fighting a conventional war in a vehicle with armour only slightly more resiliant than a wet tea towel and a propensity for the exit bursting into flames, it kind of sucks.

And let's not forget the good-old U.S. M113 with its gas tank against the left-rear aluminum armor hull wall (which probably couldn't stop an AK round)... until they moved the fuel - due to safetly considerations - to either side of the rear exit, as well!

APC/halftrack doctrine is fun. Don't ride in it if you're likely to run over a mine, and don't be inside it if you're likely to be shot at... but otherwise, here's some armor protection for you!

I have also had good luck moving halftracks forward via screened routes and using them in larger villages and other places where I can keyhole with the MG. Sort of like AT guns but against infantry. That .50 on the US halftrack is an excellent weapon for supporting your infantry, and small arms don't seem to do much to the HT. Just remember to displace before the enemy ground pounders get into grenade range.

Originally posted by Spears:

quote:

Panther Commander

To make the inf feel secure u say ? they made them exit by climbing out the TOP hatches TOP of the bmp, safety for who and what agin please.

Imagins all those targets, yum yum.

No top hatches on a BMP that I know of? I believe you are referring to the BTR-50 and 60 series.

Possibly because htey didnt' have a surefire way of waterproofing the doors for the earlier BTR's?

And also because it's quicker - you can get 4 ppl out the top at a time, and virtually all they have to do is stand, climb and jump.

The rear doors are more constrictive when in full kit - you'd be lucky to get 2 guys out at a time, packs might catch on the door frame as they bend over, and everyone except the rear 2 passengers has to climb over the seats to get to them.