Now Appearing - In YOUR Neighborhood!

I live in Chicago, and have seen a number of tanks and AFVs on display here. Here are the examples I know about:

1. A Stuart on Grand Avenue by California (or so...) in a park.

2. Another Stuart in DeKalb, not far off the main drag.

3. There is a Pershing on Lake Street in one of the western suburbs, not exactly sure of the cross street.

4. Also, not really my neighborhood, but cool nonetheless... what appears to be an amphtrack (Marine landing AFV) right off of Route 20, west of Michigan City, Indiana.

5. Oh, and what appears to be an outdoor museum (that has a Sherman out front) just into Wisconsin off the I-94, exit 348.

Other than that, I remember a tank on the Eight Mile Armory in Southfield Michigan. I remember seeing an article about the M-60, and I think this one was a one-only model of a M-60A-2. Could be wrong there, though.

What about you guys? Do you know more in Chicagoland? Or elsewhere? What priceless relics are in your neighborhood?

PS I remember seeing one - don't remember the type - on a corner while riding the train south out of Chicago a few years back...

Hi Crank_GS,

I am in Chicago also, my Dad lives in Griffith, IN. It's about 30 miles southeast, just over the border. Anyway in Central Park there they have an Easy-8 Sherman with the 76mm gun on it. I keep meaning to take some pics and post em here but never do. I was familiar with a couple that you posted but not all of them, thanks!

[ April 20, 2004, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Lord Dragon ]

My find sounds kind of puny, but here goes anyway. In the spring of 1978 I came across a US 37mm AT gun in front of a National Guard armory in a suburb of Portland, Oregon.

Oh, I guess I might add that my highschool in Mobile, Alabama had a huge AT gun on its grounds. It must have been a 90mm if such a thing was ever built, but my recollection of it is too fuzzy to have ever permitted a definite ID.

Michael

If you're in the Chicago area, it's worth trying to make a trip up to the Kenosha Military Museum in Kenosha, WI. I happened to stumble on the place while I was in the Chicago area last fall on business -- it's just over the IL/WI border in Kenosha. [Edit -- this is most likely the museum you are referring to above in your #5] The Vehicles aren't in great repair, but they have a large collection of (mostly US) military vehicles and hardware from WWII on. Of the top of my head, there were several different types of Shermans, at least two types of Stuarts, Priest, a couple of HTs, 37mm & 57mm ATGs, and a bunch of other stuff.

I think it's closing down sometime this summer due to a foreclosure issue, so you may want to make a trip up there soon if this kind of thing holds interest for you.

Cheers,

YD

[ April 20, 2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: YankeeDog ]

Is that a private Museum? Every once in a while my wife will make me take her to the outlet malls up there but I have never been able to break away and head over there.

There is a M-48 (I think) on Halsted Street (east side) south of 187th Street in Homewood. Homewood also has a 57mm ATG on Harwood north of 183rd Sreet.

Up on the very top border of Maine/Canada I was surprised last year to see in front of the local VFW post a 37mm/twin .50cal combo gun mount lifted straight off a M14 AA halftrack! I could scarcely believe it when I saw it, I doubt the VFW post knew what they had.

I'm in Davenport Iowa and just a few miles away is the Rock Island Arsenal and Museum. They have a Sherman that was knocked out during the Battle Of The Bulge on display with antitank hits all over it's side and front. There are many field guns and antitank guns (even a railway gun) and a rare German neblewerfer, along with captured vehicles from the Gulf War and other AFV's.

When we travel to the wifes family in Waterloo there is another Sherman in a park there.

Well,here in the Boston Ma. area in Wenham Ma. at Patton Park(Route 1A) there is a M4A1 Sherman ,what I belive to be a WW1 75mm Art.and a Civil war cannon.

In Groveland out in front of a VFW there is a Chaffe based SP with a 75mm gun on it(like the one in the movie Battle of the Buldge)Sorry I don't know the route #.

In Salem Ma. near Salem Willows ther is an M60.

The Wright Museam in Wolfborrow NH. has a Pershing that was at Remagen Bridge in March 45'.Nice Museum ,if in area check it out.

Cool Thread

Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Md. A mass of prototype U.S. tanks on display driving into the post. Then a huge outdoor tank park of capture WW2 & Korean War vehicles rusting away, as well as an indoor museum. I haven't been there in 35 years but outside they had an Elefant, a Jagttiger, Tiger 1, Pz4, T34-76, a Japanese "Cha-Ha?" Italian tin cans, "Anzio Annie" ( A German 305 mm Railway gun ), a Hetzer, & lots of other stuff I just don't remember, I have photos somewhere.

The Museum building at the time had a twin German 128 mm automatic FLAK gun ( that blew me away ) and a Tiger 2 with parts of the left turret & hull cut away to expose the interior.

Lots of other exhibits. Don't know what it's like now, it wasn't well cared for back then.

Re: Aberdeen Proving Grounds Md.

I found the photos

in addition outside they had:

Pz 1

spw 251 / 1

PSW 232 8-RAD

Panther G

JagtPanther

Marder 3?

SU 76

Churchill

towed 76.2 Soviet AA gun

towed 75 German PAK gun

towed FLAK 88 /38

towed FLAK 88 /42?

..lots of other tanks, guns, etc. I can't make out in the backround.