Cool link to the 752nd Armored Battalion history

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the site that I linked to there is a bit in there about casualties and how the officers took roughly 2.5 times as many casualties, proportional to numbers, as regular grunts. This is the sort of stuff that Dupuy documented and, IIRC, the story of the 752nd is rather typical for US units in the ETO. The casualty rate for 1LTs was rather depressing. Makes you think "if there was any one rank I wouldn't like to be, that would be it" :D

Steve

On the site that I linked to there is a bit in there about casualties and how the officers took roughly 2.5 times as many casualties, proportional to numbers, as regular grunts. This is the sort of stuff that Dupuy documented and, IIRC, the story of the 752nd is rather typical for US units in the ETO. The casualty rate for 1LTs was rather depressing. Makes you think "if there was any one rank I wouldn't like to be, that would be it" :D

Steve

Steve

OH NO! cmx2 is going Back to the Bocage! (I say that because this obviously misleading website is about Italy and why would they go there?)

It doesnt matter if or how or when one became a Major or above. You were many times safer than any looey in the line. Just being a mortarman was probably 5-10 times safer than being a riflemen.

Rifle platoons, armored infantry, tankers (and TD) took the brunt.

[ March 07, 2005, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Wartgamer ]

OH NO! cmx2 is going Back to the Bocage! (I say that because this obviously misleading website is about Italy and why would they go there?)

It doesnt matter if or how or when one became a Major or above. You were many times safer than any looey in the line. Just being a mortarman was probably 5-10 times safer than being a riflemen.

Heres a neat stat from extensive WWII tank research:

The ratio killed to wounded was 1:3.5 in mine tanks, and about 1:1 in tanks lost from other causes.

So being clocked in a tank that was shot up by AT weapons gives you a 50-50 shot of being dead when being a casualty.

Most grunts know that if zapped, they only have a 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 shot of getting checked out. Being in a tank means big booboos and horrible deaths too.

Armored infs shared this bad stat from being in a AT target as well. These Purple Heart Boxes were guts buckets.

The ratio killed to wounded was 1:3.5 in mine tanks, and about 1:1 in tanks lost from other causes.

So being clocked in a tank that was shot up by AT weapons gives you a 50-50 shot of being dead when being a casualty.

Most grunts know that if zapped, they only have a 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 shot of getting checked out. Being in a tank means big booboos and horrible deaths too.

Armored infs shared this bad stat from being in a AT target as well. These Purple Heart Boxes were guts buckets.

Sure but being behind armour protects you from an awfull of things that ballisticly tolerant cotton shirts don’t.

So if there are X thousand projectiles, shell splinters etc flying around a given grid square and you are mounted, most of those wont effect you, but the ones that do - really do.