Bazookas

RPK

It appears that RPG's are like AP shots: better penetration than most of the infantry AT weaponry, but seem to do little damage to the crew. Unless they target is blown to bits by the impact, the crew seems to suffer little. I once scored two side hits on a IS-2 with a Panzerschreck in CM:BB, the tank kept rolling with a single crew casualty.

Originally posted by RPK:

Does it seem to anyone else that these are virtually worthless? I score multiple penetrations to almost no effect. I understand it wasn't as effective as a panzershreck. But in CMAK they don't do much if anything. Any ideas?

I don't know what you are talking about. ;)

Seriously, What does penetration actually means? Will the game engine say "penetration" even if the round only made it half way in the armor plate or does it mean it went thru the whole thing?

I played against RPK and his bazookas were getting penetration 75% of the time on my Stugs from a 30-20m distance, but it was the front armor. I think that's why they were not knocked down, but only shaken.

It also depends on which model of 'Zooka is represented. I don't know for certain if BFC has different models or not, but I would guess so, given their attention to detail. Early 'zooks were 1.75", later 2.5". Look at regimental histories from Korea when our guys had the older ones and tried to take out PRK T34/85's. Bad Juju.

Originally posted by Wallybob:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives:

As CMAK falls rather short of Korea, you only get the smaller, earlier model.

Ah, but the 2.5" version was available in the later part of WWII. That is what is was designed for. I'm a thinking late 1944, but I can't exactly tell ya when. </font>

Originally posted by Denwad:

haha that's funny, the Panzershreck was copied (mostly) from captured Bazookas.

It's true. The Germans knew a good thing when they saw it and did the design right...in a workable warhead size. The US 2.75 was designed around what was basically an AT rifle grenade warhead.

Originally posted by Wallybob:

Ah, but the 2.5" version was available in the later part of WWII. That is what is was designed for. I'm a thinking late 1944, but I can't exactly tell ya when. </font>

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wallybob:

Regarding zook effectiveness in CMAK, my first impression echoed what I seem to be hearing here--that they're less effective than in CMBO. But recently I've had some contrary experiences, such as, for example, taking out a Stug with a single side penetration in a PBEM, similarly killing a Panther or two in AI battles (less memorable, so the details stick less), and losing a Stug to a frontal penetration at 160m! In that case I cancelled a reverse order the Stug had initiated when it spotted the zook, thinking it could never hit me at that range...but it did and cost me the game.

So, I'm thinking that zooks may in fact be somewhat reduced in effectiveness relative to CMBO, but I'm not 100% certain of that. And they can still be killers when the odds fall in their favor. Zooks still need to be treated with respect. Plus, they're if anything more pervasive in CMAK than in CMBO, so you never know where one might be lurking.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Underestimate the PIAT at your peril - they're sneaky little devils (can fire several shots without being spotted) and, come the patch, they'll be the only ones that can shoot out of buildings with no ill effects.

Except for the PF, which I believe Madmatt indicated would not cause suppression when fired from a building (the inverse of the case now).