Camp Roberts Reinactment Photos

David I

I went to a WWII reinactment at Camp Roberts CA, a couple of weeks ago. There was quite a bit of armor there so I thought you guys would like to see some of the pictures I took:

http://gallery.jemian.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album01

Go to the above link. If you have any questions, ask away and I'll answer them if I can.

My thanks to Folke who sponsored the URL posting (whatever that is).

David I

Sequoia,

They have a muesum there that is quite good, lot's o' American armor, T-34/85, etc. I know a guy that works in the museum (actually was instrumental in modernizing it) and if you drop me an email I'll introduce you, and you for sure can get in that way. Otherwise it depends on what threat level the gate is on.

David I

Mace & Gpig,

Good eye. The Tiger is built on a T-34/85 Chassis & Turrent. The scoop on this Tiger is that it was first put together as one of the Tigers for "Kelly's Heros" it was then used as the mobile Tiger in "Saving Private Ryan". In SPR they had an immobile Tiger for the close ups with the correct drive sprocket, driver's vision slit, etc. The owner has purchased a pair of T-55's, larger, center mounted turrent, in order to build a pair of Tigers. Ah the idle rich, what would we do without them.

Mike Emrys: I had to get Folke to put it up on the site, don't know **** about how to caption it.

I will point out that in the photo of the Sherman with the 3 reinactors and the Veteran, the old guy was a member of the 761st Tank Battalion a "Negro" Battalion that served with distinction in NW Europe. He loved to see those Shermans moving, and had a few stories to tell.

The 761st is the subject of a recent book written by a basketball star, whose name eludes me, that has gotten some noterity.

Oh yeah, and the pic of the Stuart with one guy standing by it - that's me, I was the bow gunner.

DavidI

Originally posted by David I:

Mace & Gpig,

Good eye. The Tiger is built on a T-34/85 Chassis & Turrent. The scoop on this Tiger is that it was first put together as one of the Tigers for "Kelly's Heros" it was then used as the mobile Tiger in "Saving Private Ryan". In SPR they had an immobile Tiger for the close ups with the correct drive sprocket, driver's vision slit, etc. The owner has purchased a pair of T-55's, larger, center mounted turrent, in order to build a pair of Tigers. Ah the idle rich, what would we do without them.

The Kelly's Heroes Tigers and the SPR Tigers were different vehicles.

I have a friend from central CA (a CMBB player) who was also a part of that event. I'll see if I can get him to post about it. He was a member of the other team. They go all out, with uniforms, [de-miled] weapons, Partisan chick re-enactors, and as you can see, vis-mod vehicles. These 12th SS guys even have Panzerfäuste that launch, firing a rubber (or plastic?) warhead about 20 or so meters. Ha! Panzerfaust 20. He told me about an ambush that they set up to try'n nail one of the M8 Greyhounds at an event in the fall. Apparently, the M8 crew was cagey, and wouldn't get sucked in. Someone with more knowledge jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I like the mock-up SdKfz 221 (or 222?) armored car. At the event in the fall, someone had an 8-wheeled A/C mock-up; way too small, but you have to admire the guy for his attempt.

That M5A1 Stuart turret looks like a mock-up.

Mark

Buq-Buq & Flamingknives,

Yeah, that's a 222 and there was an 8 wheeled 232 (about 2/3 scale) and the Tiger did run spottily. We could see the smoke from his engines and avoid him. We (the Stuart) knocked him out twice, once with a top down shot, the other into the rear of his turrent from about 15' away. He probably didn't have to take either hit but he was a good sport...

We got knocked out twice by the Tiger, once by the SPW 222 (rear shot close 6 20mm rounds) and three times by infantry action. Handgrenade in the turrent hatch, Tellermine on the rear deck, and the panzerfaust you mentioned in the side turrent (side turrent, penetrating hit, knocked out).

My favorite - we disabled the SPW 251 and pulled up towards the rear end. Then, right in front of my periscope, the infantry came bailing out. :eek: I gave them about 30 30cal rounds and they went down in a heap. Great "hollywood" falls. I sported some wood on that one. :D Went over to their barracks when the day was over and thanked them.

The turrent on the Stuart is a mockup. I think it started life as some sort of Kangaroo.

DavidI