An Army at Dawn

Originally posted by Dave Stockhoff:

Any opinions on this book by Rick Atkinson, 2002?

Not a a source for scenarios or anything quite that crazy---just for getting a sense of the theater and a feel for the ebb and flow of events.

This book was discussed extensively here, a search of the CMAK forum will find a good discussion.

Oh dear God. Bugged - look at yourself! What have you become?

(Good book BTW. There aren't that many covering the campaign in NWA, and this one does a good job. I'm looking forward to his subsequent volumes "An Army At Breakfast Time" about the Germans, "An Army at Smoko" about the Australians, "An Army at Tea" about the British, "An Army at Siesta" about the Finns, "An Army Eh" aboot the Canadians, etc.)

Originally posted by JonS:

(Good book BTW. There aren't that many covering the campaign in NWA, and this one does a good job. I'm looking forward to his subsequent volumes "An Army At Breakfast Time" about the Germans, "An Army at Smoko" about the Australians, "An Army at Tea" about the British, "An Army at Siesta" about the Finns, "An Army Eh" aboot the Canadians, etc.)

That post wasn't from me. Somebody I know was too lazy to logout of my computer and log back in as himself before posting. Sheesh.

Originally posted by Bugged:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JonS:

That post wasn't from me. Somebody I know was too lazy to logout of my computer and log back in as himself before posting. Sheesh. </font>

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

Has anyone heard about the sequels? It was intended to be a trilogy, with books about the Italian theater and the NW Europe Theater. IIRC, the Italy one was supposed to be coming up soon.

I think maybe they got put on hold when he was in Iraq with the Screaming Eagles?

Pretty good book came out of that, too, incidentally.

Originally posted by Dave Stockhoff:

Any opinions on this book by Rick Atkinson, 2002?

Not a a source for scenarios or anything quite that crazy---just for getting a sense of the theater and a feel for the ebb and flow of events.

Excellent. I just hope the two books he plans to write about Italy and the ETO will be as good.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by juan_gigante:

Has anyone heard about the sequels? It was intended to be a trilogy, with books about the Italian theater and the NW Europe Theater. IIRC, the Italy one was supposed to be coming up soon.

I think maybe they got put on hold when he was in Iraq with the Screaming Eagles?

Pretty good book came out of that, too, incidentally. </font>

Originally posted by Breakthrough:

Excellent book. Much better then the CMH official history..

If you mean the Green Book Volume covering Torch, I'd say that depends on what you are looking for. The Green Book is more thorough and detailed, and with much better maps.

Atkinson is better as literature, i.e., a more "fun" read as he gives it more narrative sense. He also includes some bits of information missing in the earlier account.

Probably the two books are best read together. They are complimentary.

Michael

I've only skimmed a bit of Army at Dawn, but I have a few initial comments based on a quick, bleary-eyed reading.

It's very good. From what I've read so far he certainly deserved his Pullitzer. It's quite readable, and keeps me up at night long after I should have turned out the lights.

On the downside, he suffers by comparison with Keegan (but who wouldn't). I stumbled on one of Atkinson's purple passages last night (the one that gives the book its title) and it wasn't out of place, but it stuck out in the text and seemed quite labored. Keegan does it effortlessly: his purple passages are more restrained and feel like an integral part of the narrative. I read parts of the chapter in Six Armies that describes his childhood to my girlfriend, and she liked it.