Mad, bad and dangerous to post in -- it's the Cheery Waffle Thread

_Axe_

So, the story I was going to tell you yesterday goes like this --

As some of you clowns may know by now, I had a great uncle who served in the Second World War. He was my maternal grandfather's brother and his name was Gilbert Costello Scarr.

All my grandfather Kenneth knew was that his brother was killed in the war. Although my grandfather died in 1995, I still decided to find out what I could about Gilbert. I was a journalism student at the time (1997) and, even though the internet wasn't what it is today, I decided to use it in my search.

First stop was the Books of Remembrance, six books housed in the Peace Tower at Canada's Parliament buildings.

In them are the names of Canadian soldiers killed in war -- from the Boer War to Korea.

I started with 1939 and moved through the Ss until there it was, in 1944 -- Pte Scarr, Gilbert Costello RRgtC.

It was an emotional moment. Now I knew the when. I was left with the where and the how. I linked to the Veterans' Affairs page and got the address for the Commonwealth Graves Commission. Within six days I received the answer: "Private Gilbert C. Scarr of the Royal Regiment of Canada, Royal Canadian Infantry Corps died on 14 July 1944. He is buried in the Beny-Sur-Mer Canadian Cemetery, France in Plot 9, Row H, Grave 2."

That led me to find the official history of the Royal Regiment, Battle Royal, written by Let.-Col. D.J. Goodspeed. From it I learned the regiment, at the time of Gilbert's death, was fighting to take Caen. A handful of men died the same day he did, most from mortar fire while sitting in slitch trenches.

The next step was getting his service record which I did from the Archives of Canada. It turns out Gilbert landed after D-Day and he only lasted 10 days on French soil. He was buried by a padre at the roadside of Eterville, a hamlet outside of Caen. His remains were later disintered and buried at Beny-Sur-Mer.

I wrote a column for the paper I was doing my internship at, the Cape Breton Post. The last paragraph went like this:

He was probably killed by mortar fire while sitting in a slit trench, probably alone when the end came with a whistle from above.

I have a picture in my mind of a French villager pedaling out to Gilbert's grave today, maybe to leave flowers, maybe to trim the grass or wash the headstone of the salt air that blows in from the Channel.

The French in Normandy still remember what Canada did for them in the terrible summer of 1944.

I hope they remember Gilbert.

His record also paints the picture of a...how shall I put this....less than disciplined soldier. While stationed in England he was fined repeatedly for being AWOL. There was always a family story he had a girlfriend while in England.

Just this past summer, I e-mailed a group in Ottawa that runs tours of Canadian war cemeteries in Normandy on the off chance they may have had photos. Within two weeks a tour guide sent me digital photos of his grave.

I was fortunate enough to be able to share them with three of Gilbert's sisters who are still alive thanks to the help of my grandmother.

So why write about this now?

Well, remember that rumour about Gilbert having a girlfriend in England?

My grandmother called me two days ago and this is what she said:

"Jason, your grandfather's cousin Stan, who lives in Parry Sound (where Gilbert was from and his sisters still live) received a call yesterday morning. The woman asked Stan if he was related to a Gilbert Scarr who was a Canadian soldier in the Second World War. Stan told her he was. He asked her, 'Can I ask who this is?'

"'I'm Gilbert's daughter.'"

I am to talk to Stan tomorrow and then the woman this weekend. I don't have all the details but she is 62 and has been looking for us while we didn't know how to look for her. She wants to know more about her father, as we are anxious to know more about her.

Whoo boy, I can't tell you how I feel right now because I'm not too sure myself.

Details as they become available.

[ February 13, 2004, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: Axe2121 ]

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Axe2121:

So, the story I was going to tell you yesterday goes like this...

...Details as they become available.

Hmmm. I might decide to adopt you. Better for the world if I leave a bit of myself in all the countries of the world. Well, spiritually, anyways.

Do I see the word 'challenge' in the title of our new home? I believe, Mr Slax, that harsh words will have to be exchanged between you and I. Not content with generating Waffle threads faster than you generate turns (which, to be fair, isn't hard), you are failing to place an adequate distance between us and - that other place.

SO FIX IT!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Soddball:

Do I see the word 'challenge' in the title of our new home? I believe, Mr Slax, that harsh words will have to be exchanged between you and I. Not content with generating Waffle threads faster than you generate turns (which, to be fair, isn't hard), you are failing to place an adequate distance between us and - that other place.

You can run, but you can't hide. This second rate thread is but a pale shadow of the Glorious MBT.

Send a set up cur. Make it as vile as you like, make it as vile as you can. Your poor troops will have their guts placed on all the flags for my victorious troops to set their dogs onto.

[insert appropriate angry faces here : and here : and perhaps, here too ! ]

Noba.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Better for the world if I leave a bit of myself in all the countries of the world. Well, spiritually, anyways.

What's the bet Australia (oi oi oi) gets stuck with the yucky bits.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mace

Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

Better for the world if I leave a bit of myself in all the countries of the world. Well, spiritually, anyways.

What's the bet Australia (oi oi oi) gets stuck with the yucky bits.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mace </font>

Originally posted by Soddball:

Duly noted.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Axe2121:

Hmmm. I might decide to adopt you. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

Hmmm. I might decide to adopt you. </font>

That's pretty impressive story, Axe! smile.gif

In the other news, latest PBEM-file of "Tank Warning!" was 4.7Mb in size! :eek:

I believe I destroyed 15 T-34s during the turn, while losing only 1 Pz-IVH. Without any übertanks, that's my new record. :cool: Talking about Pz-IV tactics... :D

:mad:

On a completely unrelated subject, I just looked through the rankings of Fiefdom. It appears Queen YK2 had some success getting <font size=1>penguins</font size=1> to start in the game, but very little success getting them to continue in it. I see many <font size=1>penguins</font size=1> littering the very bottom of the rankings list. Exactly where they belong, of course. :D:D:D

Originally posted by Keke:

I believe I destroyed 15 T-34s during the turn, while losing only 1 Pz-IVH. Without any übertanks, that's my new record. :cool: Talking about Pz-IV tactics... :D

:mad:

anger.gif

That turn was, without a doubt, the stupidest thing I have ever seen. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Dave H:

Is it just me or does anyone else giggle like crazy when Mr. Tittles posts?

Tittles.

Tee hee.

It's just you, you juvenile delinquent! tongue.giftongue.gif:D:D </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dave H:

Is it just me or does anyone else giggle like crazy when Mr. Tittles posts?

Tittles.

Tee hee.

It's just you, you juvenile delinquent! tongue.giftongue.gif:D:D </font>