Why not the American Civil War?

Originally posted by Lars:

No horses.

Good point ... AND no 12 pound Napoleon cannons either. And hey Grog Dorosh ... DO A SEARCH!

Joe

p.s. {edit} I wasn't paying attention Grog Dorosh ... I'd aplogize but I really don't care to.

I'd love to see a CM style ACW game.

[ April 21, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Joe Shaw ]

all u would do is tell all your troops to do a human wave assault on a defended position. almost no tactics. half of them r gonna get hit with a minnie ball, some more will die in the bayonet fight a minute or 2 later and u'll capture your objective. some ppl think it's fun i don't.

Originally posted by yacinator:

all u would do is tell all your troops to do a human wave assault on a defended position. almost no tactics. half of them r gonna get hit with a minnie ball, some more will die in the bayonet fight a minute or 2 later and u'll capture your objective. some ppl think it's fun i don't.

I concede your obvious expertise on the subject.

Joe

yacinator

One of the great things in ACW was surely the appreciation of the terrain and taking posssession of key points to support your sides defence and/or attack. Getting troops to the positions in a fit state to fight would be a challenge, let alone the ability to "see" the shape of the battlefield to get the best disposition of your troops.

If you are involved in hand to hand combat then someone is desparate , made a mistake , or its difficult terrain. Arguably mistakes are much more final as the speed of troops means rapid reinforcement can only be possible if adequate thought to their placement was given early in the game.

I think it would be an excellent era - and would translate relatively easily to European wars of the period.

Sarcasm aside. I got a hunch, a really really good hunch.................that the new CMX2 will be highly moddable. Then all kinds of different conflicts could be modded. At least thats what im hoping for anyway. It would be a great nod to the CM community. But then again that could be translated into less money making products for BTS.

Sarcasm, come on in. At least then i could and would mod the ongoing battles between my cats and dogs vs. the mice in the tall weeds in my field. A truly historic battle. :D

Mike,

I can't wait for the next insert into your "I know this has been talked about before..." paragraph. Napoleonics. Age of Reason. Medievel. etc.

Seriously - Civil War on CM level? Buy all the squads that belong to a Regiment? Line them all up in a two man deep formation? Face an enemy battalion drawn up in the same formation? Blaze away at each other until one side decides it has more important places to be? You mean like that?

Gee sounds really good.

I think you have missed your calling.

David

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

David I

Sid Meier's immortal, and highly playable, Gettysburg shows what can be done with running at regimental blocks and battery level. The LOS seemed to suck a bit but a brilliant multiplayer realtime game for grownups

If one likes "Real-time" games. I can't stand clickfests.

Originally posted by Le Tondu:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

David I

Sid Meier's immortal, and highly playable, Gettysburg shows what can be done with running at regimental blocks and battery level. The LOS seemed to suck a bit but a brilliant multiplayer realtime game for grownups

If one likes "Real-time" games. I can't stand clickfests. </font>