Interested in Western Front

Fain

Hello,

I'm mainly interested in the western front and would rather play a game centered on there rather than Africa. I was thinking about purchasing CMOB but I heard that there have been new improvements made in CMBB and CMAK. Should I just go ahead and get CMOB or are there sufficient mods and scenarios centered on western europe in CMAK?

Thanks a lot!

Hello,

I'm mainly interested in the western front and would rather play a game centered on there rather than Africa. I was thinking about purchasing CMOB but I heard that there have been new improvements made in CMBB and CMAK. Should I just go ahead and get CMOB or are there sufficient mods and scenarios centered on western europe in CMAK?

Thanks a lot!

Well, except for the fact that there´s no King Tiger in CMAK, I´d say go for this game. There are so many improvements over CMBO, and there´s a lot of Western front scenarios to download already, with many also yet to come, I suspect. And moreover, I suspect that with time, there will be top notch mods for Western front too. I think Tanks a lot has some buildings in progress, along with Tom's upcoming Battle of the Bulge mod.

Well, except for the fact that there´s no King Tiger in CMAK, I´d say go for this game. There are so many improvements over CMBO, and there´s a lot of Western front scenarios to download already, with many also yet to come, I suspect. And moreover, I suspect that with time, there will be top notch mods for Western front too. I think Tanks a lot has some buildings in progress, along with Tom's upcoming Battle of the Bulge mod.

The CMAK engine is definitely preferable over CMBO. The uber artillery and kamikaze infantry won't be missed by me. But CMBO is more arcadey so if you want uncomplicated quick paced fun you can't go wrong with CMBO.

Most of the times you can fake Western Europe scenarios anyway. But like Gurra indicated, you'll be missing a few units: Cromwell, King Tiger, Pershing and Puma. Maybe a few others but these are the prominent ones. But you get even more back in return.

if I were you I'd go with CMAK, or better yet, open that wallet a little further and buy the trilogy pack.

The CMAK engine is definitely preferable over CMBO. The uber artillery and kamikaze infantry won't be missed by me. But CMBO is more arcadey so if you want uncomplicated quick paced fun you can't go wrong with CMBO.

Most of the times you can fake Western Europe scenarios anyway. But like Gurra indicated, you'll be missing a few units: Cromwell, King Tiger, Pershing and Puma. Maybe a few others but these are the prominent ones. But you get even more back in return.

if I were you I'd go with CMAK, or better yet, open that wallet a little further and buy the trilogy pack.

I would definitely go for CMAK. The game-play and look of CMBO were vastly improved in CMBB and all of these improvements were carried over into CMAK, along with a few new refinements (such as dust clouds, multi-turreted vehicles, etc). CMAK includes a lot of early war equipment not available in CMBO. It does lack the monster King Tiger, but arguably, this actually improves game play. And the modeling of many weapons and units is more realistic.

Since CMAK includes the Italian front, this essentially gives you European terrain and weaponry from 1943 right through to the end of the war. And many, many scenarios exist that cover the European Theatre. If it were me, I would buy a combo pack including CMAK and CMBB. This essentially gives you the entire European war, east and west front.

BTW, CMBO, unmodded, looks child-like compared to the original look of CMAK or CMBB. I'm just playing CMAK out of box, with no mods except a terrain grid. Looks enough like Europe to satisfy me.

I would definitely go for CMAK. The game-play and look of CMBO were vastly improved in CMBB and all of these improvements were carried over into CMAK, along with a few new refinements (such as dust clouds, multi-turreted vehicles, etc). CMAK includes a lot of early war equipment not available in CMBO. It does lack the monster King Tiger, but arguably, this actually improves game play. And the modeling of many weapons and units is more realistic.

Since CMAK includes the Italian front, this essentially gives you European terrain and weaponry from 1943 right through to the end of the war. And many, many scenarios exist that cover the European Theatre. If it were me, I would buy a combo pack including CMAK and CMBB. This essentially gives you the entire European war, east and west front.

BTW, CMBO, unmodded, looks child-like compared to the original look of CMAK or CMBB. I'm just playing CMAK out of box, with no mods except a terrain grid. Looks enough like Europe to satisfy me.

For what it is worth, I believe the entire Canadian order of battle as seen in NW Europe is included in CM:AK; even the Sten Guns are modelled (incorrectly) in place of the Thompson. The only vehicle I can think of not included is the Ram Kangaroo, but in game terms it probably differs little from the Priest Kangaroo that is included.

For what it is worth, I believe the entire Canadian order of battle as seen in NW Europe is included in CM:AK; even the Sten Guns are modelled (incorrectly) in place of the Thompson. The only vehicle I can think of not included is the Ram Kangaroo, but in game terms it probably differs little from the Priest Kangaroo that is included.

Lol, so the 17pdr armed cruiser tank, looking remarkably like a Challenger, that was present in many scenarios in CMBO wasn't there? Check out the vehicle list...

http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmbo/vehicles.html

ISTR it was a popular choice in PBEM, as without rarity it was cheaper than a Firefly. The Comet looks better though

I would go for CMAK. You can simulate most of NWE Europe anyway, and the early war stuff adds interest and a different challenge

[ September 06, 2004, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Wisbech_lad ]

Lol, so the 17pdr armed cruiser tank, looking remarkably like a Challenger, that was present in many scenarios in CMBO wasn't there? Check out the vehicle list...

http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmbo/vehicles.html

ISTR it was a popular choice in PBEM, as without rarity it was cheaper than a Firefly. The Comet looks better though

I would go for CMAK. You can simulate most of NWE Europe anyway, and the early war stuff adds interest and a different challenge

[ September 06, 2004, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Wisbech_lad ]