Patch Due Date?

beady

Back during the Beta there was some debate and research on when Airborne should show up in Italy. Use of Airborne had been originally even more restricted than it is now!

You should expect the airborne to have left italy sometime in the spring of 44. D-Day was on the horizon and after March the Airborne guys had other places to be. On the bright side, the specialized U.S. Mountain units (with thier cute little 75mm Pack howitzers) do show up for you to play with in January '45.

Originally posted by Slappy:

While I'm at it, could someone scrape together some evidence that there were airborne in Italy after D-Day? That would be my biggest wish for the patch, so that we can continue to CMBOify CMAK.

Not being an expert, but I don't think there is any (for US Airborne). They were either withdrawn for Normandy, or DRAGOON.

The airborne units were: 517 Para Inf Rgt, 1/551 Para Inf, 509 Para Inf Bn, 550 Abn Inf Bn (Glider), 460 Para Field Arty Bn, 463 Para Field Arty Bn, 602 Field Arty Bn (75mm pack hows, trained for glider landing), 2 4.2" mortar coys trained for glider landing, the AT coy of the 442 Inf Rgt trained for glider landing, plus the British 2 Ind Para Bde and 64 Light Arty Bn. This added up to the rough equivalent of an airborne division.

Originally posted by Chief Trois:

The airborne units were: 517 Para Inf Rgt, 1/551 Para Inf, 509 Para Inf Bn, 550 Abn Inf Bn (Glider), 460 Para Field Arty Bn, 463 Para Field Arty Bn, 602 Field Arty Bn (75mm pack hows, trained for glider landing), 2 4.2" mortar coys trained for glider landing, the AT coy of the 442 Inf Rgt trained for glider landing, plus the British 2 Ind Para Bde and 64 Light Arty Bn. This added up to the rough equivalent of an airborne division.

Thank you one and all!

smile.gif

Michael

Speaking of airborne artillery, since it was mentioned there.

Any of you folks "in the know" happen to have information on the parachute packing crates for the M1A1 75mm pack howitzer and the associated parachute ammo crates and cassion? I've been looking for good photos and drawings of those suckers to scratch-build them for a diorama.

The official nomenclature is the M1-M7 Paracrates, M8 Parachest and M9 Paracassion.

Originally posted by Siege:

Speaking of airborne artillery, since it was mentioned there.

Any of you folks "in the know" happen to have information on the parachute packing crates for the M1A1 75mm pack howitzer and the associated parachute ammo crates and cassion? I've been looking for good photos and drawings of those suckers to scratch-build them for a diorama.

The official nomenclature is the M1-M7 Paracrates, M8 Parachest and M9 Paracassion.

I'd recommend Mark Bando's "Trigger Time" discussion board.

http://pub36.ezboard.com/ftriggertimeforumfrm1

Originally posted by Siege:

Any of you folks "in the know" happen to have information on the parachute packing crates for the M1A1 75mm pack howitzer...

I am not sure if there is anything here on parachute packing crates, but you might go to http://www.carlisle.army.mil/usamhi/DL/chron.htm, go down to the WWII section, and check out the US Army 'Standard Ordanance Catalog' documents. They are huge and take a long time to download, but they have information on virtually all the US Army weapons and ammunition.

Originally posted by Andreas:

If someone who knows more about the US paras than I could maybe confirm whether it is as good as it looks, that would be helpful.

If you are serious about looking into US paras, you might try to find a copy of Paratrooper! by Gerard M. Devlin. It covers the development and evolution of US paratroops in both the Army and Marine Corps in WW II in a fair amount of depth and detail. This discussion provoked me to pull out my copy, which I haven't read in 20 years. He pretty much confirms what was said here about Dragoon.

Michael