Alarm! Defender's MUST blow the bridge! (how?)

GDog

I am playing a scenario I made against a PBEM opponent, and it has come to the point where I, the defender, MUST blow a "medium" bridge to limit his number of approaches accessible by armor.

My infantry task force sent to blow the bridge with grenade bundles was suppressed and routed by undetected enemy over-watch infantry. Now, with the enemies tanks creeping towards the bridge I need to blow it from afar. Units with direct LOS able to area fire the medium bridge right now are 2x Panzer IIIn (late) and 1x Panzer IVH. All 3 tanks have a 75mm main gun (HE blast 45) for a combined HE blast of 135 per salvo.

Will they blow the bridge any time soon?

GDog,

If it's wood, maybe. If it's stone, forget it. There used to be an analysis someone did on what it took to kill the various bridge types with artillery, but I fear it was lost when the server either at BFC or Fragment crashed. You would've found it helpful, for it gave shell requirements by size, starting with 75mm. I did quite a bit of digging, and so far, haven't found it.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

GDog,

If it's wood, maybe. If it's stone, forget it. There used to be an analysis someone did on what it took to kill the various bridge types with artillery, but I fear it was lost when the server either at BFC or Fragment crashed. You would've found it helpful, for it gave shell requirements by size, starting with 75mm. I did quite a bit of digging, and so far, haven't found it.

Must I remind you that Wood is the strongest material known to man!

Regards,

John Kettler

• 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of PoorOldSpike himself, to whom my thanks, here's the link to an extremely useful discussion of the art and science of destroying CM bridges. It includes the all-important table of how many shells of what type are needed for which bridge by size and type, as well as satchel charge requirements for destroying various sizes of wooden bridges. Naturally, it also includes his wonderful captioned screenshots to illustrate the text.

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63124

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 months later...