German Inf Guns Hollow Charge Ammo

Ran across some info concerning the AT hollow charge ('HC') available for the 75 and 150mm infantry guns. Couldn't find precise penetration figures for the 150 but did for the 105mm field artillery piece.

The 105 HC penetrated 100mm at zero degrees, the shell weighing 12.25kg. The 150 shell weighed 25.25kg so it should be safe to say that in 41-42 that shell would penetrate any British tank including the Matilda.

This goes to a point I raised a while ago about the inability in CMAK of the 150 to regularly knock out the Matilda. Which meant that without expensive 88's in CMAK against Matilda's you had little hope, making any relevant game rather pointless, particularly when considering the well discussed targeting limitation concerning the 150 in CMAK.

The HC performance point is raised merely to inform and to back up a previous comment. IIRC noone mentioned HC ammo when the previous comment was made. BTW, I'm not interested in getting into any arguments with the couple of Luddites or anyone else looking for confrontation who may be lurking around here.

Information is from Hogg's German Artillery of World War Two, Greenhill, 2002.

I thought luddites were just against technology--you know, not just hollow charges but also normal rounds and the infantry guns that fire them and computers and video games, that kind of thing. It's the Amish who are against change in general (And though that tends to include modern technology now, that is simply an unintended side-effect. Or maybe you mean that BFC and its fans are acting a little too set in their ways.

Likely one of the latter two. The only luddite here is Dalem, and he's definitely a reformed neo-confucian luddite, basically a Baptist. There are, however, quite a number of Greek Orthodox posters and a disturbingly large minority of Amish CM players.

Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

I thought luddites were just against technology--you know, not just hollow charges but also normal rounds and the infantry guns that fire them and computers and video games, that kind of thing. It's the Amish who are against change in general (And though that tends to include modern technology now, that is simply an unintended side-effect. Or maybe you mean that BFC and its fans are acting a little too set in their ways.

Likely one of the latter two. The only luddite here is Dalem, and he's definitely a reformed neo-confucian luddite, basically a Baptist. There are, however, quite a number of Greek Orthodox posters and a disturbingly large minority of Amish CM players.

I take absorption to that remark, Meeksie.

-dale

Now, now! Shall we let the man get on with his topic, please?

Although it is true that he doesn't seem to have a clue as to what a 'Luddite' is. Nor even a 'neo-Luddite'. Perhaps he'll find another term of opprobrium.

Now, where are the grogs? What about this 'HC charge of 150mm guns under modeled' argument, eh?

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Now, now! Shall we let the man get on with his topic, please?

Although it is true that he doesn't seem to have a clue as to what a 'Luddite' is. Nor even a 'neo-Luddite'. Perhaps he'll find another term of opprobrium.

Now, where are the grogs? What about this 'HC charge of 150mm guns under modeled' argument, eh?

We need YOUR permission to carry on?!?!?!?!?

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Clearly not, as 'bugger' is a verb, not a noun.

I'm impressed - someone here who can parse one of Sneeze's sentences and pretend to understand the grammar!!

:eek: :eek:

Originally posted by sand digger:

Hehe, you lurkers know SFA about the subject matter of the game don't you eh. Not one intelligent/constructive contribution to the subject. As I've come to expect and as others have warned me smile.gif

The response may have something to do with the slight problem that trying to explain something to you is like smashing one's face repeatedly into a metre thick block of depleted uranium, that coincidently happens to be on fire.

It's painful and you don't get anywhere.

If, perhaps, you could provide some documentary evidence that the 150mm sIG was issued with hollowcharge shells in the relevant time-frame, or that using indirect fire in the manner of a Swingfire ATGM was a commonplace tactic for dealing with British armour with 105 or 150mm guns, then maybe we could have a discussion.