Very disappointed with Allied OB selection

dalem

Thread title pretty much says it all. Standard nightmare laundry list of German pre-mixed selections, and about 3 different choices for each Ally. Sure sure, the Germans had a much more varied force over the years, and I can make the various Allied formations myself (well, the U.S. ones - I don't have the sources for the Commonwealth), but I was sort of hoping I wouldn't have to. I am surprised that I have to, especially considering how few standard types there were as compared to the Germans, and I don't like it very much.

-dale

I agree, there's not even Finns in the Allied order of battle!!! :mad:

But is there something particular you'd like to have had included? I mean, if you presented some OOB's with sources and the typical argumentation "this absolutely has to get in", maybe, just maybe, it could be included in a patch or somefink. I suppose if it consists of stuff already available, it's not so hard to add..? (just my guess)

Sergei,

I tried that pre-release on several occasions, with no apparent effect.

dalem,

I agree with you whole-heartedly. Using pic-n-mix you can sort-of get to where you want to go, but it's a painful process. And one that depends on a lot of prior knowledge, which in most cases I don't have, nor have access to.

But hey - the trees sway in the wind, so we shouldn't grumble. ;)

Regards

JonS

Sergei-

BFC has access to guys with a helluva lot more knoweledge about Allied (specifically U.S. for my preferences) OBs than myself. I assume that if they wanted to spend the effort getting them into the game they would have. Something stopped them, and I'm hoping it was just time. I know Steve of BFC has a soft spot for the GI as well so I have to believe he'd have added Mech Cavalry OBs (for instance) in there if he thought he could make the deadline.

The straightforward bottom line, to me, is that the Germanophiles would go absolutely ape if they didn't have their full selection of AbwehrKlangenHoppenAufklarungenCompanien in there - they are traditionally the spoiled poo-flingers of the WWII gaming world and always have been - whereas us Commonwealth-/Yank-o-philes are used to getting less attention and are generally happy with what we get.

If that's true then the priority list has to make sure that the German junk gets priority for variation, which is even more relevant in a product like AK - I assume that much of the German OB "already existed" from BB whereas much of the Allied stuff had to done from scratch, essentially. All guesses on my part, of course.

I just like to let 'em know what this one customer likes and dislikes. smile.gif

-dale

I have already expressed my disgust on a number of occasions and tried to point out where improvements could be made to the British and Commonwealth and the aircraft on the faults thread mainly on page 3 and 6. Don't know if anybody will take any notice.

My opinion of the game is much the same as when I installed it has very nice 3d models but the rest of it appears thrown together.

I'm not so certain the German oobs are that good -it just that nobody has gone through and checked. The German list starts long after Rommel started beating the British up. I noticed that 50mm AT guns appeared long before they became a sudden and nasty surprise for the British. I think its just that there are so many obvious howlers in the allied lists that they have not jumped out bitten me yet.

Frankly it will take a lot of effort to get to the standard of CMBB - I hope Battlefront make that effort.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

"...but the rest of it appears thrown together."

Are we playing the same game?

Yes, the Canadian stuff does seem thrown together hastily. Can't speak for the rest, but it looks like others are in a position to do just that.

I am wondering if Steve isn't on a well-deserved holiday right now? I would have thought we might have had an official response to this thread at some point.

Given the attention paid to Romanian et al orders of battle in the CMBB patches, I can only assume we will see the same for CMAK.

When you consider that 'discussion' of CMX2 isn't even taking place on the forum yet, and we might be waiting up to 2 years, I would hope that CM:AK would be the most refined of the three games because there is (I assume) the time to do it. The nice thing about having accurate OOBs for CM:BB and CM:AK is that when the new engine appears and assuming it's a WW2 one, it won't be necessary to do all the work all over again.