What is a Marm-Herr II good for?

So we basically all agree that it's not the best piece of equipment you can buy for the Brits. Okay, I can accept that. Now, while we're on the subject, what's all this nonsense with the 2" mortar?

"Here ya go lad, you've got a two inch mortar and 10 rounds of smoke and 10 rounds of HE."

"But I'll go through that in five minutes! Then what shall I do for the rest of the battle???"

"Hang out and have tea with the Marm-Herr crews by the burning wreckage of their cars."

Life in the British army.

I dunno about the low ammo loadout of the 2" mortar in CMAK, but have read that in RL they were useful little devices in street fighting. Apparently they could be fired horizontally provided that the base was against a wall or somesuch, useful for making holes. Perhaps the loadout could be looked at, as I'd imagine the mortar rounds aren't much bigger than grenades, and guess 2 men could carry more than that.

In CMAK you might want to consider my favourite use for them. The TAC-AI can't resist shooting at mortars, so march one out and watch as the enemy reveal their positions. A little harsh on the mortar team perhaps, but it is a use of a kind smile.gif

Originally posted by Pheasant Plucker:

In CMAK you might want to consider my favourite use for them. The TAC-AI can't resist shooting at mortars, so march one out and watch as the enemy reveal their positions. A little harsh on the mortar team perhaps, but it is a use of a kind smile.gif

In another thread, some people were not happy with my use of Bazooka units as scouts/recon. (Even I was not too happy about my using them thus.) Can't imagine that using mortars will be too popular with some people. (I am not trying to cause a problem--it is just interesting how many ways one can approach playing CM)

Originally posted by Pheasant Plucker:

Perhaps the loadout could be looked at, as I'd imagine the mortar rounds aren't much bigger than grenades, and guess 2 men could carry more than that.

A two inch mortar bomb is more like a thin bottle of wine if it was made of metal and filled with sand.

If you think that two men could usefully carry more than 20 rounds then we will no doubt see you on World's Strongest Man pulling a Humvee by a rope in your teeth.

The two inch mortar, in the British Infantry, is traditionally fired by the Platoon Sergeant. Yes there is only one. As I have noted since CMBO. He does not, obviously, actually carry any of it himself. Keeping a dog and barking yourself. Not done. The bombs would be distributed amongst the rest of the platoon.

The mysteries of getting bombs to mortar under fire are, wisely in my view, glossed over in the CM series. The developers are obviously thoughtful men - aside of course from their bizarre long-standing conviction that UK rifle sections are commanded by Sergeants. Perhaps it is an obsession with the Brigade of Guards. Who knows? No matter. There are some things in life that do not repay close study. Resupply on the battlefield within F echelon is just one of them.

Originally posted by Grey Hunter:

most of the time thats all i think morters are good for. i mean, the CM engine doesn't even allow for Indirect Fire with them - what thehell are you supposed to do with them then?

Which game are you playing then?

Mortars in CM can fire indirect. As is well known. As has been discussed extensivly. For the last 5-odd years.

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by Grey Hunter:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Which game are you playing then?

Mortars in CM can fire indirect. As is well known. As has been discussed extensivly. For the last 5-odd years.

Regards

JonS

Well, every time i try and get them to do it, they refuse to fire. </font>

Normally, the loadouts I've gotten with the 2" mortar are about 20 rounds, which is...okay, just not what I'm used to. But in one QB, for some reason, I got three mortars all with ten HE and 10 smoke and that was just ridiculous.

The Marm-Herr on the other hand is just a horrible, horrible death contraption.

I'd rather go into battle in a Ford Pinto.