Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Role of vineyards?

I wanted to be smart, but hey, I'll let it slide. I suggest do a test with the LOS tool to see the amount of cover it affords to troops in vineyards.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

Wine donations send to the following for their contributions to CM:

</font>

• Staff @ Battlefront.com</font>
  • Fuerte for his PBEM HELPER</font>
  • Manx (He used to run the “sexiest CMBO modsite on the net”)</font>
  • Boots & Tracks (RoW tournament scenarios)</font>
  • Andrew Fox (modding art)</font>
  • Keith Miller @ Scenario Depot</font>
  • Gordon Molek for his CMMOS utility</font>

Sponsor of the following Combat Mission tournaments:

</font>

PS: Charles just had to code them in, as he was under the influence...

--------------------------------------------------------

“I am simultaneously embarrassed and proud to state for the record that only two bottles of your fine South African wines remain in my wine rack. The rest gave their lives honorably in the service of the construction of CMAK over the past several months.” -- Charles Moylan, 28 Nov. 2003

Vineyards? I'll tell you my experience with vineyards so far. My troops move through them. They come under fire. They alert, caution, pin, then, "sneak" TOWARDS the enemy, under fire the entire time, in a doomed attempt to get out of the vineyards and into the scattered trees about 200 meters distant. The same trees from which the enemy is shooting.

In short, the vineyards act as some sort of life-draining force field, spasmodically discharging my spent troops into the very laps of their enemies.

This has happened too many times. Stay away from vineyards.

Ken

I just did a quick (VERY quick) test:

My spotter was a bazooka team (because they don't have binoculars)

I was spotting a sharpshooter from 750m range on level ground, clear day, Italy, in July:

In three tiles deep Vineyard = 59%

In three tiles deep graveyard = 50%

In three tiles deep wheat field = 49%

In three tiles deep rough = 25%

Spotting the sharpshooter from 750m through eleven tiles of vineyard, he's 48% spotted, and twelve tiles of vineyard the sight is blocked (in a July wheat field he'd be blocked at 5 tiles).

Keep in mind that vineyards provide concealment, not cover. When your guy gets spotted he's not much better than being in open ground. Hiding in a graveyard would be better, rough would be really good, and, of course, woods would be best.

[ January 09, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

I just finished playing the Airborne Assault on Hill A (Crete) scenario, and even the mighty Fallschirmjäger start making mad scrambles for cover when they come under fire in vineyards. I had thought they might provide a little cover, but I guess vines are not very thick. :rolleyes:

BTW, this is a good scenario for anyone wanting to work on pure infantry tactics.