Clearing mines

foamy

Well that's what you would think, it did work on two mines a few turns ago with different engineers, but since then I tried 4 turns now and nothing is happening.

Could they be too close ?? risk of injury, I did try to move them back from 10 - 15 meters, still they won't demolish the mines ???

This is happening to 5 sets of mines in the game I am playing against the AI.

I have had this one happen to me in CMBB. Sometimes they do just sit there and refuse to do it. Trying a new position and different angle could be good advice. (Last time it happened to me, I realised later that my opponent had stacked 3 or 4 mines in one spot! My men didn’t spot them all and sat there bemused.) Maybe some kind of bug?

Also looking for a gap in the mines might be a good idea. If they are AP mines rather than AT - you can always try crawling through at worst you (should) only lose one man.

I recently had a platoon advance (JasonC style)into what turned out to be a minefield (APRSN) just on the opponent's side of a 40mX60m patch of rough. A Lieutenant stepped on a mine and the rest went to ground and began to crawl. As luck would have it, an HMG began to buzz the men prior to turn's end and caused the "bee-dance" behavior to commence. I cancelled all movement orders and had the platoon hide for the next turn and rally.

I then occupied myself with assigning orders for the overwatch units to move up a bit and forgot to check the aforementioned platoon for 1 turn. When I came back to them after moving the overwatch, they had cleared all the mines without being told to do so. It caused momentary confusion on my part, as I spent a bit of time looking for wth happened to the minefield they were sitting on. I found a few odd craters, no mines and the platoon (minus the Lt.) awaiting my next command with some hiding, some not.

:D

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

I've been having some trouble with mines too. I targetted one APERS mine from 17 meters away. The engineers threw three satchel charges and shot up a lot of their ammunition, like they were in close contact. The mines are still there.

Treeburst155 out.

One thing I know for sure. And that is that you don't have to target the minefield. Just walk (if AT minefield) or sneak (if AP minefield) and than thing will happen. But I can't tell you how long you have to wait because it is unpredictable :confused:

Yes. You DO NOT have to target the minefield. In fact, it may be counterproductive. Just have them sit 10m from the edge and wait. It may take 3 or four minutes, but they will clear it. I know that sounds like a long time to wait, but you try clearing a path through 400 square meters of mines in four minutes.

The manual, which has been known to be wrong before, says, "you can of course target mines manually" on page 64. One would assume this would speed up the process, or why do it?

Now my full strength pioneer squad has no satchel charges. All three have been thrown at the minefield. It will be interesting to see if the minefield ever clears now that the charges are gone.

Treeburst155 out.

One problem with targeting is that the mines might be Daisy-Chain AT, which can, I believe, be cleared by engineers w/o using their satchel charges. Another problem is that it probably will lead to a much higher rate of expenditure of charges--as Treeburst found--w/o necessarily removing the mines more quickly. Engineers who area fire will just keep chucking explosives as if they were aiming at a human target. I guess patience is the only other procedure. I've seen mines disappear after a single turn. Other times it does take 3-4 turns. Even daisy chains will sometimes take a long time.

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

Engineers who area fire will just keep chucking explosives as if they were aiming at a human target.

Mines can be targetted directly. It may work like area fire; but you can target them directly.

I've been testing. I think targetting mines is a complete waste of satchel charges AND small arms ammo. The mines will clear when they want to, and targetting has nothing to do with it. In fact, if your engineers throw all their satchel charges as a result of targetting, the mines may never clear at all. I'll have to test more to be sure of this.

Range and moving around and facing the target are all irrelevant. Just get within 25 meters of the center of the mine, and WAIT. You may even be able to engage other targets while you wait.

EDIT: I've seen it take 8 full turns to finally destroy a minefield.

Treeburst155 out.

[ February 08, 2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Originally posted by Lord Harmes:

If engineers can clear mines with satchel charges... does that mean direct fire from SP artillery can destroy mines?

Explosions (from on-map shooters or arty) can reduce minefields, but the marker won't disappear. You have to judge for yourself when you feel comfortable moving through as the game won't tell you anything (think of it as fog of war).

Dschugaschwili

• 1 year later...